Junior Member

Default loft

hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft and read many of the posts about it but still not sure about mine.can someone tell me if the whole lot will come down if the kids play in it when finished.sending some pics with luck if done right thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
loft-dscf0053-jpg  loft-dscf0054-jpg  loft-dscf0055-jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

daz5000 wrote:

hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft and
read many of the posts about it but still not sure about mine.can
someone tell me if the whole lot will come down if the kids play in it
when finished.sending some pics with luck if done right thanks.

Dalek Voice "Insufficent Data" :-)

The size of the timbers isn't very clear in those pics. How deep are
the joists (the timbers to which the ceiling is attached)? And what
is the maximum san between supporting walls.

Dave

Junior Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbwhaley
daz5000 wrote:

hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft and
read many of the posts about it but still not sure about mine.can
someone tell me if the whole lot will come down if the kids play in it
when finished.sending some pics with luck if done right thanks.

Dalek Voice "Insufficent Data" :-)

The size of the timbers isn't very clear in those pics. How deep are
the joists (the timbers to which the ceiling is attached)? And what
is the maximum san between supporting walls.

Dave

ill try and explain the best i can. the joists are 2 inches across and 3 down.these then have 2 joists running across them on both sides which are 3 by 2 as well.the supporting wall in the middle to the outside wall is 142 inches down and 71 inches to the front of house and 117 inches to the back.sorry all are in inches but tape measure is inches and cm.cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

daz5000 wrote:
dcbwhaley Wrote:
daz5000 wrote:
-
hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft
and
read many of the posts about it but still not sure about mine.can
someone tell me if the whole lot will come down if the kids play in
it
when finished.sending some pics with luck if done right thanks.

The size of the timbers isn't very clear in those pics. How deep are
the joists (the timbers to which the ceiling is attached)? And what
is the maximum san between supporting walls.

I'll try and explain the best I can.
The joists are 3 x 2's. These then have 2 joists running across them on both sides
which are 3 by 2 as well.
The supporting wall in the middle to the outside wall is 142 inches down
and 71 inches to the front of house and 117 inches to the back.

I take it that the "142 inches" long wall is poking through the loft?

3 x 2's are not going to be big enough to take any movement nor much
weight for very long without flexing. At a guess I'd say you have
plasterwork made up of sticks and limed sand.

(I've forgotten what that's called but it is late Saturday and I am
sober, so such things are to be expected under the circumstances.)

Anyway the answer is: No.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:44:33 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
daz5000 randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft and
read many of the posts about it but still not sure about mine.can
someone tell me if the whole lot will come down if the kids play in it
when finished.sending some pics with luck if done right thanks.

http://www.diybanter.com/attachment....tachmentid=190
http://www.diybanter.com/attachment....tachmentid=191
http://www.diybanter.com/attachment....tachmentid=192

You haven't shown on the photos where the fixed stair (not a
retractable ladder) comes down into the enclosed stairway, nor whether
the stair is fully enclosed at first floor and ground floor level or
whether it is open to the lounge or kitchen. You also don't show
where your alternative escape window is in the roof space or whether
all the doors from the second floor to the final exit are 30-minutes
fire-resisting. Neither can I see whether you have installed
mains-wired smoke detectors to all storeys.

If all that happens is they fall through the floor, then they'd be
luckier than if they were trapped up there in a fire.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlawyer
daz5000 wrote:
dcbwhaley Wrote:
daz5000 wrote:
-
[...]

no sorry,the supporting wall is just under the right of the beam going all down the middle. its 142 inches from one supporting wall to another in the middle,71 from beam to the left and 117 to the right.the board ive put down is where you can stand and the same on the other side.will the beams still move with me fixing the boarding stepped to add strength and screwed down every 10 inches. cheers
Attached Thumbnails
loft-dscf0055-jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft and
read many of the posts about it but still not sure about mine.can
someone tell me if the whole lot will come down if the kids play in it
when finished.sending some pics with luck if done right thanks.

No. The space is definitely not suitable for habitable accommodation. Not
only is the floor structure woefully inadequete for anything other than
light storage, the fire safety aspects are frightening. If there was a fire
elsewhere in the house, the children would die.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

daz5000 wrote:
Weatherlawyer Wrote:
daz5000 wrote:-
dcbwhaley Wrote:-
daz5000 wrote:

hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft

Well, you'd best put that on pause cos 2x3 isnt meaty enough for much.
For 71" span you could add 2x3s on top of the existing 2x3s, glued and
screwed every 6", to make it usable. If the unsupported span were 142"
thats... about 12', 2x4 additions would be better. Neither of these are
anywhere modern requirements though, but such requirements concern
millimetres of deflection rather than being about safety - wood is a
bit springy.

Fire escape is another matter to attend to.

NT

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
daz5000 wrote:
Weatherlawyer Wrote:
daz5000 wrote:-
dcbwhaley Wrote:-
daz5000 wrote:

hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft

Well, you'd best put that on pause cos 2x3 isnt meaty enough for much.
For 71" span you could add 2x3s on top of the existing 2x3s, glued and
screwed every 6", to make it usable. If the unsupported span were 142"
thats... about 12', 2x4 additions would be better. Neither of these are
anywhere modern requirements though, but such requirements concern
millimetres of deflection rather than being about safety - wood is a
bit springy.

Fire escape is another matter to attend to.

NT
thanks to all, after boarding the floor and spending about £200 so far for nothing, im going to get the job done by the pros.whats been said no diy to save money is worth the risk to any of my kids.thanks again.

Loft conversion - technical questions hansen UK diy 11 April 19th 05 07:51 PM
Loft insulation? Mogweed UK diy 26 March 30th 05 07:19 PM
Loft Space just typed in a load of text and thought it would UK diy 0 January 18th 05 09:37 PM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Angle Iron for a loft Jim Stewart Metalworking 1 July 17th 03 11:47 PM