Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default loft

daz5000 wrote:
dcbwhaley Wrote:
daz5000 wrote:
-
hi first time posting so sorry for any mistakes.im boarding my loft
and
read many of the posts about it but still not sure about mine.can
someone tell me if the whole lot will come down if the kids play in
it
when finished.sending some pics with luck if done right thanks.

The size of the timbers isn't very clear in those pics. How deep are
the joists (the timbers to which the ceiling is attached)? And what
is the maximum san between supporting walls.

I'll try and explain the best I can.
The joists are 3 x 2's. These then have 2 joists running across them on both sides
which are 3 by 2 as well.
The supporting wall in the middle to the outside wall is 142 inches down
and 71 inches to the front of house and 117 inches to the back.

I take it that the "142 inches" long wall is poking through the loft?

3 x 2's are not going to be big enough to take any movement nor much
weight for very long without flexing. At a guess I'd say you have
plasterwork made up of sticks and limed sand.

(I've forgotten what that's called but it is late Saturday and I am
sober, so such things are to be expected under the circumstances.)

Anyway the answer is: No.