Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting making tape off upvc windows

I put masking tape on new upvc windows to protect them as the house as just
been rendered and I can't get the damned stuff off. It never peeled off in
one go , just bits of it. Have tried hot soapy water... not helped a bit.
Nail polish remover, no effect. Petrol works but very slowly and I'm sure it
is softening the upvc as well. It has took me and the wife approx 2 hours to
do one window sill. I have the stuff all over six windows and door frame.
Is there a product I could buy or some magical formulae.
Also tried a new stanley blade, that dosn't work.

Any advice appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:29:40 GMT, "Justin Time"
wrote:

I put masking tape on new upvc windows to protect them as the house as just
been rendered and I can't get the damned stuff off. It never peeled off in
one go , just bits of it. Have tried hot soapy water... not helped a bit.
Nail polish remover, no effect. Petrol works but very slowly and I'm sure it
is softening the upvc as well. It has took me and the wife approx 2 hours to
do one window sill. I have the stuff all over six windows and door frame.
Is there a product I could buy or some magical formulae.
Also tried a new stanley blade, that dosn't work.

Any advice appreciated.

Try Maplins Label Remover, or alt. WD40.

Give the products time to work before you start scraping at it.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Justin Time
wrote
I put masking tape on new upvc windows to protect them as the house as just
been rendered and I can't get the damned stuff off. It never peeled off in
one go , just bits of it. Have tried hot soapy water... not helped a bit.
Nail polish remover, no effect. Petrol works but very slowly and I'm sure it
is softening the upvc as well. It has took me and the wife approx 2 hours to
do one window sill. I have the stuff all over six windows and door frame.
Is there a product I could buy or some magical formulae.
Also tried a new stanley blade, that dosn't work.

Any advice appreciated.

WD40 and leave for a few hours.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan typed

Also tried a new stanley blade, that dosn't work.

Any advice appreciated.

WD40 and leave for a few hours.

We were advised petrol when we had this problem a while ago, on wooden
windows. It is a b*****.

Word of warning for all: masking tape (and Micropore) polymerise in UV light.
Masking tape should never be left on for more than 24 hours damn it...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Alan typed

Also tried a new stanley blade, that dosn't work.

Any advice appreciated.

WD40 and leave for a few hours.

We were advised petrol when we had this problem a while ago, on wooden
windows. It is a b*****.

Word of warning for all: masking tape (and Micropore) polymerise in UV light.
Masking tape should never be left on for more than 24 hours damn it...

If masking tape gets wet it is very difficult to remove. The only thing
I have found to remove it is acetone, also known as propatone. This is
the same as nail varnish remover, though buying it in that form is very
expensive. If you have a friendly fibre glass worker near you they may
be willing to fill a bottle for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Alan typed

Also tried a new stanley blade, that dosn't work.

Any advice appreciated.

WD40 and leave for a few hours.

We were advised petrol when we had this problem a while ago, on wooden
windows. It is a b*****.

Word of warning for all: masking tape (and Micropore) polymerise in UV
light.
Masking tape should never be left on for more than 24 hours damn it...

If masking tape gets wet it is very difficult to remove. The only thing
I have found to remove it is acetone, also known as propatone. This is
the same as nail varnish remover, though buying it in that form is very
expensive. If you have a friendly fibre glass worker near you they may
be willing to fill a bottle for you.

Search the archives. This has come up quite often. They suggest WD40 here
http://www.duckproducts.com/tips.asp?Sub=2&Cat=1