Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboarding ceiling

Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the
trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

As you can tell neither of us are plasterers !! and I cant remember
which we we put up the rest of the house five years ago !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Staffbull" contains these words:

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

Personally, I wouldn't.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Oct 2006 06:50:40 -0700, "Staffbull" wrote:

Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the
trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

As you can tell neither of us are plasterers !! and I cant remember
which we we put up the rest of the house five years ago !!!

I would think you will get greater support by running the boards across the
trusses but cutting the boards so they end halfway on a truss .

Doing it the other way,along the trusses means you only have support along the
edges ..and you WILL,imho,need to support the ends with cross pieces betwen the
trusses ..

The boards should be marked which side is to be decorated . I've not considered
one side to be smoot and the other rough .The boards I used recently had a dark
and a light side .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message

The boards should be marked which side is to be decorated . I've not
considered
one side to be smoot and the other rough .The boards I used recently had a
dark
and a light side .

Yeah and the light side (grey) is smooth and the dark side (brown) is
rougher. The former is of course the side you decorate whatever that is
with.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"visionset" wrote in message

"Stuart" wrote in message

The boards should be marked which side is to be decorated . I've not
considered
one side to be smoot and the other rough .The boards I used recently had
a dark
and a light side .

Yeah and the light side (grey) is smooth and the dark side (brown) is
rougher. The former is of course the side you decorate whatever that is
with.

--
Mike W

Yep, just drylined a room with Gypsum board, it says to expose the lighter
side as you can decorate or plaster directly onto it. Some Knauf boards i
used recently had no markings on them though.

HTH

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the
trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

50/50. Across the joists, and smooth side down.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

Not really. At least they should be taped up before skimming

As you can tell neither of us are plasterers !! and I cant remember
which we we put up the rest of the house five years ago !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:40:44 GMT, "visionset" wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .

The boards should be marked which side is to be decorated . I've not
considered
one side to be smoot and the other rough .The boards I used recently had a
dark
and a light side .

Yeah and the light side (grey) is smooth and the dark side (brown) is
rougher. The former is of course the side you decorate whatever that is
with.

I've just looked at a piece of board .Knauf I think .There isn't really a lot in
it as far as smoothness is concerened .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:
Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the

Usually across.

trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

You plaster or decorate the ivory side.
You may find references saying decorate ivory side or plaster grey
side, but this was for plasterboard 20 years ago, and doesn't
apply anymore. In practice, it makes little difference for plastering.

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

This can work if all your ceiling joists are level, otherwise you
end up with steps. I might not do it with 9mm plasterboard though.
Leave a 1/4" gap between unsupported edges, and start the plastering
by forcing bonding coat plaster through the gap and right through to
the back, with an excess overflowing onto the board tops. This will
bond the board edges together so they can't move relative to each
other. Apply scrim tape (nylon course netting) to the joins before
you put the finish coat on.

If you are not doing the plastering yourself, ask the plasterer if
he wants the 1/4" gap at floating edges -- some do, some don't.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the
trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

As you can tell neither of us are plasterers !! and I cant remember
which we we put up the rest of the house five years ago !!!

Found a guide ! across the joists, I'll ask the plasterer if he wants a
gap, coming tomorrow for a looksee and price. (he was half anyone else
for the rendering so should be OK)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:

Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the
trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

Across the joists IMHO

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

Most boards I have seen have a light and a dark face, where plastering
and/or decoration are supposed to be carried out on the light face.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

No, much better cut to end on a joist. Otherwise you are far more likely
to get cracking at the joints.

The other thing to do is stagger the boards to add more bracing and
rigidity to the joists:

If your joists run thus:

# # # # # # # # # # #
j j j j j j j j j j j