Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default Plasterboarding ceiling

On 14 Oct 2006 06:50:40 -0700, "Staffbull" wrote:

Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the
trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

As you can tell neither of us are plasterers !! and I cant remember
which we we put up the rest of the house five years ago !!!

I would think you will get greater support by running the boards across the
trusses but cutting the boards so they end halfway on a truss .

Doing it the other way,along the trusses means you only have support along the
edges ..and you WILL,imho,need to support the ends with cross pieces betwen the
trusses ..

The boards should be marked which side is to be decorated . I've not considered
one side to be smoot and the other rough .The boards I used recently had a dark
and a light side .

Stuart