Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default Plasterboarding ceiling

John Rumm wrote:
Staffbull wrote:

Can you let me know which way the plastervoards should run, with the
trusses or against them (long edge of the board) and which way up,
smooth paper side or rough.

Across the joists IMHO

I think they should run with the truss timber, and my brother thinks
they should run against, i think they should go smoothside down
(plaster face) and he thinks rough.

Most boards I have seen have a light and a dark face, where plastering
and/or decoration are supposed to be carried out on the light face.

A also think the short ends of the boards will be OK butted together
unsupported as the centres are only 360mm.

No, much better cut to end on a joist. Otherwise you are far more likely
to get cracking at the joints.

The other thing to do is stagger the boards to add more bracing and
rigidity to the joists:

If your joists run thus:

# # # # # # # # # # #
j j j j j j j j j j j