Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange noise from radiator

Hi All,

We've just turned our heating system back on for the winter - boiler is
a Baxi Combi 133HE Plus. All the radiators seem to be heating up as
expected and, as yet, none appear to need bleeding. This morning,
however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to the cause?

Cheers - Adam Cheney

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam-the-Kiwi wrote:
Hi All,

We've just turned our heating system back on for the winter - boiler is
a Baxi Combi 133HE Plus. All the radiators seem to be heating up as
expected and, as yet, none appear to need bleeding. This morning,
however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to the cause?

Cheers - Adam Cheney

sounds like vibration from the pump via the water to the radiator.

May be the first sign of a failing pump?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam-the-Kiwi wrote:

-8- snip -8-

however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

-8- snip -8-

sounds like vibration from the pump via the water to the radiator.

May be the first sign of a failing pump?

Thanks TNP - I hope not, as this boiler is only 18 months old...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam-the-Kiwi wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Adam-the-Kiwi wrote:

-8- snip -8-

however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

-8- snip -8-

sounds like vibration from the pump via the water to the radiator.

May be the first sign of a failing pump?

Thanks TNP - I hope not, as this boiler is only 18 months old...

swarf in the pipes can lead to early failure..

All installations have an inverse valley shaped reliability curve.

In the first year installation and manufacturing defects show up. After
that they are reliable until the parts age...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct 2006 02:31:42 -0700, "Adam-the-Kiwi"
wrote:

Hi All,

We've just turned our heating system back on for the winter - boiler is
a Baxi Combi 133HE Plus. All the radiators seem to be heating up as
expected and, as yet, none appear to need bleeding. This morning,
however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to the cause?

Cheers - Adam Cheney

When you say "buzzing", was it a metalic hammering? Rather like an ant
tap dancing in lead clogs?

If so, you have TRVs and they are on the wrong side of the rads.The
closing valve is vibrating as the water flows over it.

Have you had a new pump installed or turned up the flow?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:
On 8 Oct 2006 02:31:42 -0700, "Adam-the-Kiwi"
wrote:

-8- snip -8-

however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

-8- snip -8-

When you say "buzzing", was it a metalic hammering? Rather like an ant
tap dancing in lead clogs?

Hmmm - it's a little difficult to say, but I'd definitely describe this
as a low frequency buzz rather than a hammering.

If so, you have TRVs and they are on the wrong side of the rads.The
closing valve is vibrating as the water flows over it.

Have you had a new pump installed or turned up the flow?

No and no. The system was working fine last winter, and we've only just
turned it on for this winter.

Cheers - Adam...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam-the-Kiwi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

We've just turned our heating system back on for the winter - boiler is
a Baxi Combi 133HE Plus. All the radiators seem to be heating up as
expected and, as yet, none appear to need bleeding. This morning,
however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to the cause?

Cheers - Adam Cheney

Try changing the speed on the pump. They are usually two or three speed and
a lower one for a while might let things settle down. Probably just a
sympathetic system vibration from the pump which has altered over the summer
as pipes have furred up or sediment has settled somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

"Adam-the-Kiwi" wrote in message
ups.com...

-8- snip -8-

however, we noticed a fairly loud buzzing coming from the bathroom -
the radiator was vibrating and this appeared to be the source of the
noise. The radiator in the adjoining bedroom was also vibrating, but
much less so. The noise appears to be linked to the pump, but the
boiler itself does not appear to making any unusual noise.

-8- snip -8-

Try changing the speed on the pump. They are usually two or three speed and
a lower one for a while might let things settle down. Probably just a
sympathetic system vibration from the pump which has altered over the summer
as pipes have furred up or sediment has settled somewhere.

Thanks Dave - I'll give that a try (if I can work out how to do it)...

Interestingly, a hefty thump on the radiator in question has changed
the intensity of the buzzing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam-the-Kiwi presented the following explanation :
Thanks Dave - I'll give that a try (if I can work out how to do it)...

Interestingly, a hefty thump on the radiator in question has changed
the intensity of the buzzing.

That sounds as if it could be a TRV or valve vibrating.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Oct 2006 06:01:49 -0700, "Adam-the-Kiwi"
wrote:

EricP wrote:
On 8 Oct 2006 02:31:42 -0700, "Adam-the-Kiwi"
wrote:

-8- snip -8-

[...]

Ok, go to the lockshield valve on the other end of the rad and close
it completely and then open it half a turn or until the rad works
again. Keep opening it a half turn until the noise returns and then
close it until the noise stops or reduces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

EricP wrote:
On 8 Oct 2006 02:31:42 -0700, "Adam-the-Kiwi"
wrote:

-8- snip -8-

If so, you have TRVs and they are on the wrong side of the rads.The
closing valve is vibrating as the water flows over it.

Have you had a new pump installed or turned up the flow?

No and no. The system was working fine last winter, and we've only just
turned it on for this winter.

Ok, go to the lockshield valve on the other end of the rad and close
it completely and then open it half a turn or until the rad works
again. Keep opening it a half turn until the noise returns and then
close it until the noise stops or reduces.

Apologies for the delay in responding...

That did it - thanks.

Cheers - Adam...

Refrigerator Fan sudden noise Terry H Home Ownership 5 August 18th 05 12:44 AM
Help - Monitor making high pitched noise BW Electronics Repair 10 July 29th 05 10:30 PM
Artisan saw noise Dave W Woodworking 2 January 29th 05 02:11 PM
Radiator not getting totally hot gna03633 UK diy 20 August 3rd 04 09:57 AM
Sony DVP-C650D Strange Noise at Turn On. Techie Electronics Repair 4 October 27th 03 08:43 PM