Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where would you look for a plumber's mate?

As plumbing gets mentioned here quite a bit, I thought I'd give this a
shot....

I'm a 35 year old NVQ Level 2 year 2 heating and ventilation student trying
to do my NVQ 2.

In the next two months, they need us to find a Corgi registered plumber with
an unvented Certificate and Electrical Part P.
And under the supervision of that person, I need to install and test the
following items, 3 times each:
Heat Emitters, Pipework, Brackets and Supports, Boilers and Flues, Storage
Vessels, Mechanical & Electrical Controls, Sanitary Appliances and pressure
vessels. (More than one of these can be checked off on one job.)
Also, pre-commission three systems, and de-commission twice.

I'm well presented, can talk proper like, and communicate well with people,
but I'm not a city ponce.
I'm also strong and reliable.

What I've done so far is:

Drop round piles of leaflets to plumbers and builders merchants.

Looked on Jobcentreplus, Reed, Jobsite, Fish4, Gumtree etc etc

Tried some of the agencies: The story is the same everywhere;
they either need a fully qualified person, or they make use of the plentiful
supply of cheap skilled Polish labour.

As for ringing round - it's already been done by everyone else, but not
believing the stories, I tried three: one was polite, the others were "****
off" and a hang-up! And that was after "Hello, I'm doing NVQ ....."! Do I
keep going on that track?

As for the college - unless you are in a wheelchair or claim minority
status, you have NO chance of getting any help from them at all.

So...any ideas? I know the theory, and what I've fitted for other people
works fine.
But finding that magical Corgi registered unvented certificate plumber who
needs a hand is proving to be a little trickier than I imagined...

Plumber's Crack aspasia Home Repair 0 September 30th 06 05:26 AM
Let's all retrain as plumbers..... NOT Lobster UK diy 16 January 24th 06 11:34 AM
Plumbers mate. How to Apply Steven Campbell UK diy 11 September 15th 05 07:44 PM
Plumbers - unfair reputation as bad guys jon UK diy 14 June 16th 05 11:36 PM
Tool Thieves Tom Watson Woodworking 43 March 18th 05 07:56 PM