Steven Campbell

Default Plumbers mate. How to Apply

I'm trying to put plumbers mate round the fitting on my basin. But every
time I put it on the fitting it just comes away and sticks to my hand!! It
is driving me crazy.

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Thanks

Steven.

Stuart

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:39:45 +0100, "Steven Campbell"
Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote:

I'm trying to put plumbers mate round the fitting on my basin. But every
time I put it on the fitting it just comes away and sticks to my hand!! It
is driving me crazy.

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Thanks

Steven.

Not sure but I seem to remember just rolling it around in my hands
until my hands got a bit oily and that helped ...

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Mr Fizzion

Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote:

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Fend him off with a stick?

Steven Campbell

Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote:

I'm trying to put plumbers mate round the fitting on my basin. But every
time I put it on the fitting it just comes away and sticks to my hand!!

It
is driving me crazy.

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to

stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Thanks

Steven.

Not sure but I seem to remember just rolling it around in my hands
until my hands got a bit oily and that helped ...

I thought that would do the trick also but the more the plumbers mate got up
to body temperature the more it didn't want to leave my fingers!! There must
be knack to it.

Steven.

Steven Campbell

Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote:

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to

stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Fend him off with a stick?

He's a pest of hell. He keeps coming back like a bad smell.

Brian Sharrock

Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote:

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to
stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Fend him off with a stick?

Doesn't the plumbers' mate have a statutory right
to express their sexuality without prejudice?

--

Brian

Christian McArdle

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to
stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

My experience is plumber's mait is that the best technique is:

1. Remove from fitting.
2. Place, along with rest of tub in bin.
3. Apply silicone sealant.
4. Assemble fitting to basin.

Christian.

Chris Bacon

Steven Campbell wrote:
I'm trying to put plumbers mate round the fitting on my basin. But every
time I put it on the fitting it just comes away and sticks to my hand!! It
is driving me crazy.

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Just squidge some on with the edge of your thumb - it does
not have to be a dead even layer, as it will even up when
you complete the joint.
Bob Mannix

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to

stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

My experience is plumber's mait is that the best technique is:

1. Remove from fitting.
2. Place, along with rest of tub in bin.
3. Apply silicone sealant.
4. Assemble fitting to basin.

I was waiting for someone to say that and had a suspicion it would be
Christian )

I concur, I have never found an application for PM that couldn't be done
better by something else or by preparing the joint properly. IMHO it should
be called "Plumber's bodge"

Bob Mannix

Bob Eager

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:39:45 UTC, "Steven Campbell"
Newsgroup@newsgroup wrote:

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to stop
the plumbers mate sticking to me?

There's a mention in the paper today of a husband-and-wife plumber's
team. Clearly he didn't have the technique!

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com

Christian McArdle

I concur, I have never found an application for PM that couldn't be done
better by something else or by preparing the joint properly. IMHO it

should
be called "Plumber's bodge"

Only that it you're going to bodge it, bodge it properly with silicone.

Christian.

Fred

My experience of plumbers is that your better off not applying to be their
friend. Anyway its a cheek asking you to apply.

Plumbers - unfair reputation as bad guys jon UK diy 14 June 16th 05 11:36 PM
Tool Thieves Tom Watson Woodworking 43 March 18th 05 07:56 PM
OT Court Rules IRS Cannot Apply Force Against A Tax Payer AZOTIC Metalworking 5 February 4th 05 01:27 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Ok to apply second rolled roofing over first? Fred Home Repair 2 July 2nd 03 06:19 PM