jon

Default Plumbers - unfair reputation as bad guys

There seems to be a glut of posts, mine included, inferring that 'most'
plumbers are chancers looking for easy money. My experiences. I have had to
contact 14 plumbers to get 4 quotes, of those 14, only 5 replied, 1 of which
was polite enough to say that he couldn't do the work as he was fully booked
up unitl late August. The rest, didn't bother getting back to me, despite me
leaving messages on their answer phones asking for a quote for a supply and
fit of new combi.

As for the 4 that quoted, well one was British Gas (enough said), but they
were polite. The second was a large local firm, trading on length of
service, they matched BG's price, however it took 2 of their engineers to
work out a quote, it seemed as if they were trying to confuse me, almost
like 'good cop, bad cop' or should that be good plumber, bad plumber.

The third quote, was reasonable, about 2 thirds the price of BG. He listened
to what I wanted, didn't try to to manipulate boiler choice, etc, and was
prepared to let me do some of the work, basically he was polite, and he also
knew what he was talking about.

The last quote was from 'dodgy geezer', cash in hand, and unless I went for
his choice of boiler he couldn't gurantee it would work porperly( his actual
words).

All plumbers contacted were from the yellow pages in the Corgi section.

You can draw your own conclusions.

Jon

RzB

Hmm... I had a very similar experience
recently with roofing companies...

I did end up with an averagly good
(or is that averagely bad) company
in the end...

It's amazing just how much crap some of them
talk in an effort to make the job look almost
impossible... Then don't send a quote even
after prompting !

If only there were a web site...
www.RateYouPlumber.co.uk or
www.RateYourRoofer.co.uk....

Go for it someone !

On the good side, only today, I had a
plumber in to give me a quote to
replace my boiler. He was excellent
- so It's not all bad... :-)

Roy

[news]

RzB wrote:
Hmm... I had a very similar experience
recently with roofing companies...

I did end up with an averagly good
(or is that averagely bad) company
in the end...

It's amazing just how much crap some of them
talk in an effort to make the job look almost
impossible... Then don't send a quote even
after prompting !

same here. I wanted some timbers replacing on a rear valley
and some new lead. one 'professional' firm, despite being
provided with an accurate description of works, with diagrams,
quoted me £2k + for a full strip and relay for a different part of
the roof, citing nail fatigue which doesn't exist.

as usual, I did the job (the one that needed doing) myself for a fraction of that

I suppose the cowboys force us DIYers to confront our fears and get
stuck in. ateotd. that can only be a good thing

RT

Rick

On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:16:32 GMT, "jon" wrote:

[...]

I have come to the conclusion it is most professions. In my profession
50% or the people live on buzwords and bull****, when the real ****
hits the fan they hide. It took me 4 solicitors to find a good one. I
have had car mechanics rurin me car etc etc, and don't get me onto
teachers or social workers.

Now the scarey bit
What if 50% of doctors are crap ?

Having worked in a medical school, I see no reason to suspect that
they are all competent, and there are no bovine effluent merchants
amoung them.

Rick

jon wrote:
[...]

I would never contact anyone in the Yellow Pages. That's not to say
they're all crooks but IME they have been. I do all my own work but I
would always advise others to get referrals from friends/family.

As for plumbers having an unfair reputation....hmm. They are making
very good money, especially down here in London. They can pick or
choose what work they want to do as they're spoilt for it. Supply and
demand at the end of the day but like Estate Agents and anyone else
creaming it I'm not going to defend them.

andrewpreece

"jon" wrote in message
[...]

Same with builders. Half of them are uncontactable. Half of the remainder
aren't
interested. Half of the remainder say they will come around and give a quote
but
never actually turn up. Actually I think half is being optimistic, more like
three-quarters
should be substituted for where I've used half. Result, I do all jobs
myself, plumbing,
boiler installation, replacing fascia boards, guttering, painting windows,
building walls,
laying patios, building pergolas, repointing, painting, etc. Also, they
never do a job to the
same standard that I would do it. Mind you, it does help that I'm 'between
jobs'!

Andy.

Owain

andrewpreece wrote:
... Result, I do all jobs myself, plumbing,
boiler installation, replacing fascia boards, guttering, painting windows,
building walls, laying patios, building pergolas, repointing, painting,
etc. Also, they never do a job to the same standard that I would do
it.
Mind you, it does help that I'm 'between jobs'!

Don't tell them that at the jobcentre or they'll probably send you on a
Wheelbarrowing For Numpties NVQ

Owain
The Natural Philosopher

RzB wrote:

It's amazing just how much crap some of them
talk in an effort to make the job look almost
impossible... Then don't send a quote even
after prompting !

They are actively looking for a complete sucker. If you are not, there
are more who are.
tarquinlinbin

On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:16:32 GMT, "jon" wrote:

You can draw your own conclusions.

Jon

So did you engage any of them and if so,who?

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.
http://www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org/

First time buyers strike

Sign the petition at .....

http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=1810

jon

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:16:32 GMT, "jon" wrote:

You can draw your own conclusions.

Jon

So did you engage any of them and if so,who?

Nope, doing it myself. Then i'll get it comissioned by a corgi reg person.

Lobster

There's www.locallytrusted.co.uk, but AFAIK it's still very 'local' to
my area (and not much use either!)

--
David

EricP

On 16 Jun 2005 05:47:21 -0700, "Lobster"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

There's www.locallytrusted.co.uk, but AFAIK it's still very 'local' to
my area (and not much use either!)

Looks like a newish scam, a development of the local directory one.

They get Joe Public to tell them a good tale about Albert Plumber.
Then they ring Albert and tell him about the good report, ask him if
he wants to be added to their register, and for only x pounds a year,
Joe gets a tenner for his trouble.

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:16:32 +0000, jon wrote:

[...]

I would like to add the following observations:

1) Many of the good guys have no need to advertise at all whatsoever.
No Yellow Pages, not even van stickers. They have enough customers all of
whom are pleased with them.

2) The bad guys have a disproportionate presence since they are unlikely
to go to the same customer twice.

3) You have to get very lucky (1 in 14 in your test) to find a reasonable
fitter from the YPs. I expect that quite soon that fitter won't be in
them.

4) The corgi-gas.com web site can be used to find the fitters in your
area including the ones that already have enough customers.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
1) Many of the good guys have no need to advertise at all whatsoever.
No Yellow Pages, not even van stickers. They have enough customers all of
whom are pleased with them.

That really applies to all tradesmen.

Or even the likes of me as a freelance in broadcasting. I've not got an
agent, or a diary service, etc. I get employed by past results or
recommendation from mates.

I'm writing this on my laptop while begging outside Balham station.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mark

jon wrote in message

Snip
All plumbers contacted were from the yellow pages

You can draw your own conclusions.

Jon

conclusion Is that advertising, yellow pages or whatever costs money.
The vast majority of good professional tradesmen have more work then they
can handle, so why would they need to advertise.
So Personal recommendation is realty the only way to find one.

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Tool Thieves Tom Watson Woodworking 43 March 18th 05 07:56 PM
Hi Guys. First Time Poster gerard702 UK diy 5 March 18th 05 07:25 PM
Hi Guys. First Time Poster efrain633 UK diy 4 March 18th 05 12:55 PM
HOW DO YOU GUYS FIGURE PROFIT? Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 26 September 29th 03 01:46 AM