Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Where would you look for a plumber's mate?

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 17:03:26 +0200, David Wright wrote:

As plumbing gets mentioned here quite a bit, I thought I'd give this a
shot....

I'm a 35 year old NVQ Level 2 year 2 heating and ventilation student trying
to do my NVQ 2.

In the next two months, they need us to find a Corgi registered plumber with
an unvented Certificate and Electrical Part P.
And under the supervision of that person, I need to install and test the
following items, 3 times each:
Heat Emitters, Pipework, Brackets and Supports, Boilers and Flues, Storage
Vessels, Mechanical & Electrical Controls, Sanitary Appliances and pressure
vessels. (More than one of these can be checked off on one job.)
Also, pre-commission three systems, and de-commission twice.

I'm well presented, can talk proper like, and communicate well with people,
but I'm not a city ponce.
I'm also strong and reliable.

What I've done so far is:

Drop round piles of leaflets to plumbers and builders merchants.

Looked on Jobcentreplus, Reed, Jobsite, Fish4, Gumtree etc etc

Tried some of the agencies: The story is the same everywhere;
they either need a fully qualified person, or they make use of the plentiful
supply of cheap skilled Polish labour.

As for ringing round - it's already been done by everyone else, but not
believing the stories, I tried three: one was polite, the others were "****
off" and a hang-up! And that was after "Hello, I'm doing NVQ ....."! Do I
keep going on that track?

As for the college - unless you are in a wheelchair or claim minority
status, you have NO chance of getting any help from them at all.

So...any ideas? I know the theory, and what I've fitted for other people
works fine.
But finding that magical Corgi registered unvented certificate plumber who
needs a hand is proving to be a little trickier than I imagined...

What are you planning on doing when you qualify? Would you be looking to
work for a local business? If so I'd suggest talking to them from that
POV. If I were running such a business and looking to take on someone new
in the near future then the chance to try out someone would be quite
attractive. Of course not all businesses will be looking to recruit
but some must be. Likewise some will be ungracious, unfriendly etc - but
you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway, would you - you want
the nice ones! :-)

I'd be inclined to ring round all the likely local businesses, maybe
asking who to talk to about getting a job and/or help with work experience
for your NVQ and sussing out whether you could come along in person
to talk to someone about it or maybe they'd prefer you to write or email
them about it?

You might also ask the staff in some of the plumbers' merchants if they
know of any of their customers who might help. I'd go at a time when there
are other customers around but not when it's heaving - some of the other
customers might pick up on what you're asking and be helpful. Merchants
I'd try first Slough P+H (aka Renaissance Bathrooms) at the 3
Tuns Xroads, PTS in Elgar Rd, City Plumbing (was Jayhards) in Oxford Rd.

(I picked up from another part of this thread that you're Reading based.
BTW where are you doing your training?)

If your tutors are prepared to be flexible about the work experience you
get I could offer you some general P&H including gas work & boilers, but
not unvented or Part P. However I'm a one-man band so you'd get a wider
range of experience more quickly with a bigger outfit.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.