Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default Where would you look for a plumber's mate?

David Wright wrote:
As plumbing gets mentioned here quite a bit, I thought I'd give this a
shot....

I'm a 35 year old NVQ Level 2 year 2 heating and ventilation student
trying to do my NVQ 2.

In the next two months, they need us to find a Corgi registered
plumber with an unvented Certificate and Electrical Part P.
And under the supervision of that person, I need to install and test
the following items, 3 times each:
Heat Emitters, Pipework, Brackets and Supports, Boilers and Flues,
Storage Vessels, Mechanical & Electrical Controls, Sanitary
Appliances and pressure vessels. (More than one of these can be
checked off on one job.)
Also, pre-commission three systems, and de-commission twice.

I'm well presented, can talk proper like, and communicate well with
people, but I'm not a city ponce.
I'm also strong and reliable.

What I've done so far is:

Drop round piles of leaflets to plumbers and builders merchants.

Looked on Jobcentreplus, Reed, Jobsite, Fish4, Gumtree etc etc

Tried some of the agencies: The story is the same everywhere;
they either need a fully qualified person, or they make use of the
plentiful supply of cheap skilled Polish labour.

As for ringing round - it's already been done by everyone else, but
not believing the stories, I tried three: one was polite, the others
were "**** off" and a hang-up! And that was after "Hello, I'm doing
NVQ ....."! Do I keep going on that track?

As for the college - unless you are in a wheelchair or claim minority
status, you have NO chance of getting any help from them at all.

So...any ideas? I know the theory, and what I've fitted for other
people works fine.
But finding that magical Corgi registered unvented certificate
plumber who needs a hand is proving to be a little trickier than I
imagined...

Put a card in as many plumbers merchants as possible and even ask the PM
does he know of any plumbers who need a hand, here and there.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite