Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oh well back it goes

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 10:55:08 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Thus costing as much as if you had bought one from a tool store.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 10:55:08 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Thus costing as much as if you had bought one from a tool store.....

MrHall My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me and I had
to go the butchers for the dogs meat anyway. Tsk!

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 10:55:08 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Thus costing as much as if you had bought one from a tool store.....

MrHall My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me and I had
to go the butchers for the dogs meat anyway. Tsk!

Still time and effort. Butchers for dog's meat. Greengrocers for
vegetables. Toolshop for biscuit jointers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:55:08 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Thanks for that George!

I was just going to start the long trek to mine for one. (It's not a
stones throw away)

I wll get one sometime else. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Thanks for that George!

I was just going to start the long trek to mine for one. (It's not a
stones throw away)

I wll get one sometime else. )

Could be a one off MrP?

Anyway I'm keeping the Biscuits and blade and spare brushes for the
inconvenience.
Will report back when I do an exchange. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:12:09 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me

You must live in a pikey area then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than cheapness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 1:07 pm, "." (·¿·)@. wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:12:09 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me

You must live in a pikey area then.

EricP wrote that, not 3rd early of derby.

now, is that user error or the fauly of a dodgy os ?

User error, you didn't read the posts properly.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than
cheapness.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved oodles.

Done an exchange and it works ok, quite quiet actually and a clean tight
cut for the biscuit.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 13:09:21 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than
cheapness.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved oodles.

Some money, but wasted more than that which has been saved in time
spent doing it.

Done an exchange and it works ok, quite quiet actually and a clean tight
cut for the biscuit.

Until this one inevitably breaks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Done an exchange and it works ok, quite quiet actually and a clean
tight cut for the biscuit.

Until this one inevitably breaks.

We'll see.

I missed out on a draper model last year, a local shed was selling them on
special offer at 19.99GBP and I thought that there must be a problem with
the draper model as they normally were selling for 59.99GBP.
Apparently it was a bloody sales hype and the price went back up to
original price after christmas. :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:
The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Not as bad as the fault I had on a cheapish Wickes angle grinder.
After a couple of days occasional use, it wouldn't switch off ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than
cheapness.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved oodles.

I know some people who'll pay for a BJ when they need it....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:43:01 +0100, Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than cheapness.

I learned that lesson with SDS drills. I tried several of the cheapies,
including supposedly heavy duty units up to 1000W. On all of them the SDS
chuck would break while drilling concrete, usually after about 20 5mm holes
(so hardly excessive use).

I bought a Kress 500W and that has done serious work over the last six
years including removing an entire concrete floor (5 by 4 metres) several
walls, and multiple wall chasings. It just works, day in day out and it
gets a real and continuous hammering, it's something I can trust and it
didn't most much more than the NuTool exploding specials.

I notice on all the cheapies that they now come marked "not for use on
concrete". So what's the point of buying one? The only reason for choosing
SDS over rattle and hum is that SDS punches into concrete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 13:09:21 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than
cheapness.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved oodles.

Some money, but wasted more than that which has been saved in time
spent doing it.

This is only true if you had the opportunity to work during the period
of that trip either as a contractor or authorised overtime or whatever.
If the alternative was doing anything else which didn't earn money
then he has lost nothing.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thats fair comment,but My drills are DeWalt as is the main Router so
basically if I know a power tool is going to be regulary used and is one
what has to take punishment then I will buy the better branded make.
But as this is a wood tool BJ which will get little use its a snip at
23GBP.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 13:09:21 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than
cheapness.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved
oodles.

Some money, but wasted more than that which has been saved in time
spent doing it.

This is only true if you had the opportunity to work during the period
of that trip either as a contractor or authorised overtime or
whatever. If the alternative was doing anything else which didn't
earn money then he has lost nothing.

Precisely.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:07:20 GMT, . wrote:

EricP wrote that, not 3rd early of derby.

Bzzt wrong.

now, is that user error or the fauly of a dodgy os ?

A sign that you're a clueless ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:29:01 +0100, Steve Firth
wrote:

|On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:12:09 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
|
| My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me
|
|You must live in a pikey area then.

Utter rubbish!

My local Aldi is in a new Retail Development alongside Currys, PC World,
Comet etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 13:09:21 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than
cheapness.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved oodles.

Some money, but wasted more than that which has been saved in time
spent doing it.

This is only true if you had the opportunity to work during the period
of that trip either as a contractor or authorised overtime or whatever.
If the alternative was doing anything else which didn't earn money
then he has lost nothing.

That's a faulty argument.

Virtually all time costs money.

If you waste it returning faulty goods then it is time taken when you
could have been doing something else. That might have been paid work
as you suggest.

If I count personal earnings potential for a day, it amounts to one
figure. However, if I add opportunity cost - meaning loss of business
revenue - then that is very considerably more.

However one should also count time that is used to save money.

For example, if I do a DIY job that I would have to pay someone else
£160 in labour to do and I do it myself in an 8hr day, my time is
costed at much less than my earnings and business potential.
Nonetheless, it is significant. Let's say I have a faulty product
which prevents me from completing that job and it takes me 2hrs to go
and get it replaced then there is a direct and measurable cost of £40
plus probably another £10 in fuel, parking and car depreciation.

If I had added that £50 to the £20 that the product originally cost, I
could have had a much better tool and not the frustration and
inconvenience of the delay to completing the job.

This is the difference between thinking about the complete picture and
buying on value, rather than one small piece and buying on price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 13:09:21 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than
cheapness.

I do and since the BJ will only get used a few times I've saved
oodles.

Some money, but wasted more than that which has been saved in time
spent doing it.

This is only true if you had the opportunity to work during the period
of that trip either as a contractor or authorised overtime or
whatever. If the alternative was doing anything else which didn't
earn money then he has lost nothing.

Precisely.

Quite wrong. You are looking at the small picture and not the complete one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 14:07:33 +0100, Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:12:09 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
|
| My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me
|
|You must live in a pikey area then.

Utter rubbish!

My local Aldi is in a new Retail Development alongside Currys, PC World,
Comet etc. --

Ah. The real high spots, then.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Done an exchange and it works ok, quite quiet actually and a clean
tight cut for the biscuit.

Until this one inevitably breaks.

Every power tool eventually breaks. But even cheap ones will be designed
for so many hours use without failure - otherwise there'd be no profit in
making them. If a cheap one is ok to use and does the job for occasional
use then it's a sensible buy. For something heavily used, probably not. Of
course the enjoyment and accuracy thingies come into the equation too. But
I'm happy with el cheapo angle grinders, for example. But not things like
jigsaws. Dunno where a biscuit joiner comes in - I don't care if they snap
when I'm eating one.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

MrHall you stipulate that time is money?

If so then what the hell are you doing on this newsgroup? surely this must
be valuable time that could be spent doing jobs?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Steve Firth contains these words:

I learned that lesson with SDS drills. I tried several of the cheapies,
including supposedly heavy duty units up to 1000W. On all of them the SDS
chuck would break while drilling concrete, usually after about 20 5mm holes
(so hardly excessive use).

I've had my cheapie for about three years and drilled a couple of
hundred holes with it without trouble. Not all in this house - all the
terraces here have concrete walls between adjacent houses and once word
gets out that you've got a drill that will actually go into it there's
quite a lot of swapping.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 14:22:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Done an exchange and it works ok, quite quiet actually and a clean
tight cut for the biscuit.

Until this one inevitably breaks.

Every power tool eventually breaks. But even cheap ones will be designed
for so many hours use without failure - otherwise there'd be no profit in
making them. If a cheap one is ok to use and does the job for occasional
use then it's a sensible buy. For something heavily used, probably not. Of
course the enjoyment and accuracy thingies come into the equation too. But
I'm happy with el cheapo angle grinders, for example. But not things like
jigsaws. Dunno where a biscuit joiner comes in - I don't care if they snap
when I'm eating one.

A biscuit joiner is nearer to a jig saw than an angle grinder in terms
of usability issues.

I looked at angle grinders recently and although these are hardly
precision tools, I ended up with a Metabo because it was comfortable
and had notably less vibration than others I tried.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Not as bad as the fault I had on a cheapish Wickes angle grinder.
After a couple of days occasional use, it wouldn't switch off ;-)

Talking about angle grinders...
This ere biscuit joiners body is the same as the angle grinders body Aldi
sold a while back.

Take the biscuit joiners head plate off and the thing can turn into a
grinder.

Hows that for iniative. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

|You must live in a pikey area then.

Utter rubbish!

My local Aldi is in a new Retail Development alongside Currys, PC World,
Comet etc.

Given what I think of Currys, PC World, Comet etc....!

I would never ever ever buy anything from Comet again, their customer
service might as well have consisted of a bit of paper with "We've got
your money so sod you" scrawled on it in crayon.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-05 14:40:34 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Actually the time spent is small and there is value in explaining about value.

It's my contribution to society. (Not that there is any such thing in
reality of course).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:06:45 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2006-10-05 10:55:08 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

The darn fcukin Aldi Biscuit Jointer as just packed in.
Blade no longer spins,and the power button doesn't operate the motor?

Thus costing as much as if you had bought one from a tool store.....

Depends on if he takes a chauffeur driven Rolls to Aldi.....and the
bus to pick up his Lamello.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these
words:

|You must live in a pikey area then.

Utter rubbish!

My local Aldi is in a new Retail Development alongside Currys, PC World,
Comet etc.

Given what I think of Currys, PC World, Comet etc....!

I would never ever ever buy anything from Comet again, their customer
service might as well have consisted of a bit of paper with "We've got
your money so sod you" scrawled on it in crayon.

I must have had the same people. Sent a CD player back as it lost it on some
CD's (which worked OK in other players) with one of the CD's that exhibited
the fault. Sent it back as no fault found and nicked the CD. I have bought
over the interweb from Comet OK though.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|You must live in a pikey area then.

Utter rubbish!

My local Aldi is in a new Retail Development alongside Currys, PC World,
Comet etc.

Case proven. Put the 'whoosh' below.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:12:09 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

My local Aldi is practically a stones throw away from me

You must live in a pikey area then.

I do,the garden backs of onto the canal with my smallboat moored
alongside,Mr Patels Lamborgini outside in the driveway is yellow in
colour,the local vamp is holding a tea party every friday.

Other than that the local vicar is a sponge,keeps coming round for
tea&biscuits on all his visits to the local residents.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Steve Firth contains these words:

I learned that lesson with SDS drills. I tried several of the cheapies,
including supposedly heavy duty units up to 1000W. On all of them the SDS
chuck would break while drilling concrete, usually after about 20 5mm holes
(so hardly excessive use).

I've had my cheapie for about three years and drilled a couple of
hundred holes with it without trouble. Not all in this house - all the
terraces here have concrete walls between adjacent houses and once word
gets out that you've got a drill that will actually go into it there's
quite a lot of swapping.

meetoo!

My Stayer SDS has given several years of sterling service, including
chopping bits off some concrete kerb stones. It's still working OK.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

This is only true if you had the opportunity to work during the period
of that trip either as a contractor or authorised overtime or
whatever. If the alternative was doing anything else which didn't
earn money then he has lost nothing.

Precisely.

Quite wrong. You are looking at the small picture and not the complete
one.

And you're looking at a different picture altogether. Your simplistic 'cost
and time'-only model doesn't take into account other factors. Eg the OP
gains pleasure from posting here about his aldi experiences - you've not
counted that. He's already mentioned the time spent on the journey was
negligible since he combined it with other trips.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:05:36 +0100, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

|"Guy King" wrote in message
| The message
| from Dave Fawthrop contains these
| words:
|
| |You must live in a pikey area then.
|
| Utter rubbish!
|
| My local Aldi is in a new Retail Development alongside Currys, PC World,
| Comet etc.
|
| Given what I think of Currys, PC World, Comet etc....!
|
| I would never ever ever buy anything from Comet again, their customer
| service might as well have consisted of a bit of paper with "We've got
| your money so sod you" scrawled on it in crayon.
|
|I must have had the same people. Sent a CD player back as it lost it on some
|CD's (which worked OK in other players) with one of the CD's that exhibited
|the fault. Sent it back as no fault found and nicked the CD. I have bought
|over the interweb from Comet OK though.

I have found Comets customer service OK.

Tuning a plane Mark Ohlund Woodworking 0 July 18th 06 06:54 PM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 12:35 AM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM
Panasonic VCR quit playing back in hi-fi stereo, still records in hi-fi stereo larrymoencurly Electronics Repair 3 August 17th 03 11:08 PM
Japanese chisel - hollow back ? FOW Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 01:05 PM