Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Oh well back it goes

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:43:01 +0100, Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Oh well, one day you might understand value for money rather than cheapness.

I learned that lesson with SDS drills. I tried several of the cheapies,
including supposedly heavy duty units up to 1000W. On all of them the SDS
chuck would break while drilling concrete, usually after about 20 5mm holes
(so hardly excessive use).

I bought a Kress 500W and that has done serious work over the last six
years including removing an entire concrete floor (5 by 4 metres) several
walls, and multiple wall chasings. It just works, day in day out and it
gets a real and continuous hammering, it's something I can trust and it
didn't most much more than the NuTool exploding specials.

I notice on all the cheapies that they now come marked "not for use on
concrete". So what's the point of buying one? The only reason for choosing
SDS over rattle and hum is that SDS punches into concrete.