Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi boiler external controls help

Looking to fit an external controller for my recently fitted boiler, but am
a little confused as to which one to use/choose.

They seem to be categorised into "programmers", "timeswitches", and even
"mini programmers" (according to http://www.discountedheating.co.uk), but
some apear to belong to more than one category.

Could someone please care to explain the difference? BTW, I am looking for
one that can do 5/2 or 7 day, 1 hour override, holiday mode, single channel,
3 on/off per day. I have a 3 c+e 2.5mm cable running from the boiler to the
position where the controller is to be fitted.

Many thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Looking to fit an external controller for my recently fitted boiler, but am
a little confused as to which one to use/choose.

They seem to be categorised into "programmers", "timeswitches", and even
"mini programmers" (according to http://www.discountedheating.co.uk), but
some apear to belong to more than one category.

Could someone please care to explain the difference? BTW, I am looking for
one that can do 5/2 or 7 day, 1 hour override, holiday mode, single channel,
3 on/off per day. I have a 3 c+e 2.5mm cable running from the boiler to the
position where the controller is to be fitted.

You may find that a programmable room stat is a simpler solution.
Something like:

You cease needing to worry about on/off cycles etc and just tell it the
temperature you want at various times during day.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:

Looking to fit an external controller for my recently fitted boiler, but
am a little confused as to which one to use/choose.

They seem to be categorised into "programmers", "timeswitches", and even
"mini programmers" (according to http://www.discountedheating.co.uk), but
some apear to belong to more than one category.

Could someone please care to explain the difference? BTW, I am looking
for one that can do 5/2 or 7 day, 1 hour override, holiday mode, single
channel, 3 on/off per day. I have a 3 c+e 2.5mm cable running from the
boiler to the position where the controller is to be fitted.

You may find that a programmable room stat is a simpler solution.
Something like:

You cease needing to worry about on/off cycles etc and just tell it the
temperature you want at various times during day.

Thanks for that. However, it is a pretty big house, and I don't want to have
to have to rely on one central thermostat. Each radiator has its own TRV, so
I just want to be able to control On and Off times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that. However, it is a pretty big house, and I don't want to
have to have to rely on one central thermostat. Each radiator has its own
TRV, so I just want to be able to control On and Off times.

What are you using for the boiler interlock? Do you have one room with a
room thermostat? Do you have a flow switch instead? Some other method?

I presume you haven't subzoned?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Could someone please care to explain the difference? BTW, I am looking
for one that can do 5/2 or 7 day, 1 hour override, holiday mode, single
channel, 3 on/off per day. I have a 3 c+e 2.5mm cable running from the
boiler to the position where the controller is to be fitted.

2.5mm? Never seen that in triple and earth. 1mm should be fine.

My choice would be the Horstmann H17XL.

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

You cease needing to worry about on/off cycles etc and just tell it the
temperature you want at various times during day.

Thanks for that. However, it is a pretty big house, and I don't want to have
to have to rely on one central thermostat. Each radiator has its own TRV, so
I just want to be able to control On and Off times.

Well it does that as well, and the TRVs can still do their stuff. It
does provide a boiler interlock (i.e. turns it off when the house is up
to temperature (and the boiler would otherwise be trying to force water
through a bunch of mostly closed TRVs)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:27:43 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:

Looking to fit an external controller for my recently fitted boiler, but am
a little confused as to which one to use/choose.

They seem to be categorised into "programmers", "timeswitches", and even
"mini programmers" (according to http://www.discountedheating.co.uk), but
some apear to belong to more than one category.

Could someone please care to explain the difference? BTW, I am looking for
one that can do 5/2 or 7 day, 1 hour override, holiday mode, single channel,
3 on/off per day. I have a 3 c+e 2.5mm cable running from the boiler to the
position where the controller is to be fitted.

You may find that a programmable room stat is a simpler solution.
Something like:

You cease needing to worry about on/off cycles etc and just tell it the
temperature you want at various times during day.

Agreed this control (I've fitted around 50 units) does exactly what you
want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Could someone please care to explain the difference? BTW, I am looking
for one that can do 5/2 or 7 day, 1 hour override, holiday mode, single
channel, 3 on/off per day. I have a 3 c+e 2.5mm cable running from the
boiler to the position where the controller is to be fitted.

2.5mm? Never seen that in triple and earth. 1mm should be fine.

My choice would be the Horstmann H17XL.

Thanks for that - just ordered one.

Indirect Pandora Heatbank and Man Micromat/Boiler compatability [email protected] UK diy 40 May 24th 06 09:19 PM
Combi boiler with underfloor heating? jks UK diy 5 April 10th 06 10:51 AM
New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
new combi experience report Fred UK diy 12 December 5th 04 09:11 PM