Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mini PLC with analogue input

Does anyone have any experience with any of the following controllers?

Siemens "Logo"
IDEC Smart Relay
Telemecanique "Zelio"
Mitsubishi "Alpha"

I'm particularly interested in the stability of the ADC if I use a
0-10V dc input signal.

Being a complete PLC novice, I'd welcome any comments on good/bad
experiences with different makes.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cupra wrote:
What are you planning to use it for?

A process signal in the range 0-10VDC is input to the controller. The
controller compares the input signal against a high setpoint and a low
setpoint. If the input is below the low setpoint, a relay output
energises. If the input is between the low and high setpoint, the relay
is de-energised. If the input is greater than the high setpoint, the
relay energises.

The response of the relay should be time delayed (between 0 and 5
seconds) to prevent temporary changes in the input affecting the
output.

I would have to program the controller so that the setpoints and time
delay could be adjusted from the front panel using a LCD display.

The power supply needs to be 24VDC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
cupra wrote:
What are you planning to use it for?

A process signal in the range 0-10VDC is input to the controller. The
controller compares the input signal against a high setpoint and a low
setpoint. If the input is below the low setpoint, a relay output
energises. If the input is between the low and high setpoint, the relay
is de-energised. If the input is greater than the high setpoint, the
relay energises.

The response of the relay should be time delayed (between 0 and 5
seconds) to prevent temporary changes in the input affecting the
output.

I would have to program the controller so that the setpoints and time
delay could be adjusted from the front panel using a LCD display.

The power supply needs to be 24VDC.

You can get dedicated setpoint/temperature controllers (Omron/Redlion
to name but two) that do this for you without all the faff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil wrote:
You can get dedicated setpoint/temperature controllers (Omron/Redlion
to name but two) that do this for you without all the faff.

Thanks, but I don't really want a setpoint controller. The dedicated
product I require is a trip amplifier with user-adjustable setpoints
and response time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Right. Thats the sort of thing I would have done with a quad opamp, 6
resistors and a capacitor.

Indeed. Personally, I would also use hysteresis, rather than time delay to
avoid cycling.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil wrote:
You can get dedicated setpoint/temperature controllers (Omron/Redlion
to name but two) that do this for you without all the faff.

Thanks, but I don't really want a setpoint controller. The dedicated
product I require is a trip amplifier with user-adjustable setpoints
and response time.

What are you controlling? A cylinder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil wrote:
You can get dedicated setpoint/temperature controllers (Omron/Redlion
to name but two) that do this for you without all the faff.

Thanks, but I don't really want a setpoint controller. The dedicated
product I require is a trip amplifier with user-adjustable setpoints
and response time.

What are you controlling? A cylinder?

It might be a cube, or a pyramid. These are easier as they don't roll
away. A sphere is a real bugger to control.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:

Indeed. Personally, I would also use hysteresis, rather than time
delay to avoid cycling.

And don't have independantly-adjustable Lower and Upper
trip points.... otherwise they can be crossed over, so
that the Upper is lower than the Lower.

Better to have (say) a Lower trip setting and a Window
size setting, plus a clamp so that Lower+Window does not
exceed 10V.

Note: The OP has a similar thread in sci.electronics.design.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Williams wrote:

Note: The OP has a similar thread in sci.electronics.design.

Yeah, I tried to post the same thread to more than one group in Google
Groups ("separate multiple groups with commas") but it didn't work for
me. Don't know if you have to have a space either side of the comma or
something...

So I had to rewrite my post and put it in sci.electronics.design

Not very neat but there you go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have any experience with any of the following controllers?

Siemens "Logo"
IDEC Smart Relay
Telemecanique "Zelio"
Mitsubishi "Alpha"

I'm particularly interested in the stability of the ADC if I use a
0-10V dc input signal.

Being a complete PLC novice, I'd welcome any comments on good/bad
experiences with different makes.

Thanks

Another one for your list is the Crouzet Millennium range. I have used
these - both their mains and 24V volt range for various control projects
including domestic (heating, lights, ventilation etc). Very easy to
program. I don't have any specific info on the performance of the ADC (only
available on the 24V version) but their UK office are very helpful with
advice. see www.crouzet.co.uk.

Chris