Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Comments on Aldi arc welder?

I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

If you want to make lots of noise and light, and sometimes stick bits of
steel together, it'll do just fine.

If you want to construct stuff, with reliable, reproducible weld
quality, get a mig welder.

That's perhaps a little harsh, but arc welding is noisy, spattery and
difficult to do well.

As for that welder in particular, I'm sure it's identical internally to
any other sub £100 arc welder; all it is is a big transformer and a fan.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

As for that welder in particular, I'm sure it's identical internally to
any other sub £100 arc welder; all it is is a big transformer and a fan.

I've just noticed it doesn't have a mains plug on it. I thought that
wasn't allowed these days. If the mains cable is really thick they can
be a bit of a bugger to get into some mains plugs.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster writes:

I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

Says "Plug not included." Not that it bothers me but is that legal ?

I did once fit a 13A plug to a converting extension for a friend's
fancy TIG machine but that was because it _could_ run off three phase.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 06:34:33 GMT, Jonathan Schneider
wrote:

Lobster writes:

I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

Says "Plug not included." Not that it bothers me but is that legal ?

It's legal if it isn't intended for domestic use. It could be argued
that welding isn't a "domestic" activity.

:-)
--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

=======================
This looks like quite good value. Arc welding is a skill well worth learning
because a small arc welder is a useful tool for all kinds of jobs that the
average DIYer comes across. Don't expect to do much welding with the supplied
kit of rods (10 assorted rods) which will last about 10 minutes if you're lucky.
A pack of 1.6mm or 2mm rods (best sizes to start with, but others will almost
certainly disagree) will cost about £14-00p but they'll last a long time if you
keep them dry.

Arc welding is often compared unfavourably with Mig welding, and there's no
doubt that Mig welding is easier. The fact is that we've become rather blasé
about the tools available today and tend to look down on good older tools simply
because they're not the latest thing. A fan cooled arc welder such as the one
you're looking at compares quite favourably with cheaper Mig welders except for
welding thinner metals. You've got nothing to lose with this welder and you'll
probably be still using it 20 years from now.

Cic.

It has removed 474 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

Says "Plug not included." Not that it bothers me but is that legal ?

It doesn't say what its peak power consumption is so I'd guess rather more
than 13 amps hence no plug. Common with imports from countries where 16
amp outlets are the norm.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

If your going to weld choose mig welding far easier to learn plus the added
benifit of using brass welding and steel welding.
I'm sure netto or Lidl had a mig welder on offer a week or so ago?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Grunff contains these words:

As for that welder in particular, I'm sure it's identical internally
to any other sub £100 arc welder; all it is is a big transformer and
a fan.

I've just noticed it doesn't have a mains plug on it. I thought that
wasn't allowed these days. If the mains cable is really thick they can
be a bit of a bugger to get into some mains plugs.

Arn't welders supposed to have those outdoor type connector? ie the ones
you see on lawnmowers/caravan.
This is prolly why it doesn't come with a 13 amp plug,after all welding is
done outside. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

It's legal if it isn't intended for domestic use. It could be argued
that welding isn't a "domestic" activity.

'Tis round here.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

It doesn't say what its peak power consumption is so I'd guess rather more
than 13 amps hence no plug. Common with imports from countries where 16
amp outlets are the norm.

Oh, that's easy - you fit a second mains cable back to the innards and
plug them both in together.

No - really - I know someone who has.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

It's legal if it isn't intended for domestic use. It could be argued
that welding isn't a "domestic" activity.

'Tis round here.

And here!..... But NOT Arc, MIG :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:33:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It doesn't say what its peak power consumption is so I'd guess rather
more than 13 amps hence no plug.

Well the figure quote (48v and 145A) gives 6960W or 30A at 230v. No idea
what the regulation is like on these things but the voltage would have to
drop to something like 22v @ 145A for it not to draw more than 13A, I
shouldn't think they are that bad.

I suspect if you do fit a properly fused 13A plug to it make sure you
have good stock of 13A fuses... Or never wind it much above 50A.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Well the figure quote (48v and 145A) gives 6960W or 30A at 230v. No idea
what the regulation is like on these things but the voltage would have to
drop to something like 22v @ 145A for it not to draw more than 13A, I
shouldn't think they are that bad.

The regulation's worse than that! I've never blown a fuse in mine even
when wound flat out to do silly things with. The cutout's operated a few
times though.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

As for that welder in particular, I'm sure it's identical internally to
any other sub £100 arc welder; all it is is a big transformer and a fan.

To be fair the fan is worth having! (I bought a SIP Merlin many years
ago that does not have a fan - poxy thing only runs for about 15mins
before getting too hot and cutting out).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

Couple of things to note: get a decent face mask rather than the hand
held plastic thing that comes with these.

The "plug not fitted" note is a probably a good indication that it can
draw more than 13A and ought to be wired to a dedicated circuit.

Other than that, it will probably stick things together if they are of
decent thickness (or make a swiss cheese of them if not). ;-)

If I were buying one again I would get a mig and not an arc welder.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote in message
I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_388.html

If you have never had previous welding experience,
ARC is the hardest of all to start with.
You will spend more time trying to un-stick the electrode from the work or
blowing holes in light metal sheet then ever actually joining two bits
together.
A small Mig welder would be much better to start with.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinyurl.co.uk/n99x

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Comments on Aldi arc welder? Lobster UK diy 13 September 18th 06 11:21 PM
major lottery win from Aldi !! Rusty UK diy 1 August 26th 05 11:09 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Gardner Metalworking 4 September 26th 03 06:51 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Kendrick Metalworking 1 September 26th 03 12:56 AM