Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Comments on Aldi arc welder?

I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Lobster contains these words:

I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

MIG welding is much much much easier! However, I've still got a welder
just like that - had it for twenty years or more and every now and then
it gets dragged out - but usually for more interesting things like doing
high-current fun and game with the kids. It still welds OK though.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Talking of cheapies - Netto have a garden shredder next week. Claims on
one hand that it's "silent" and on the other hand that it's "94dB".

Hmmm. Or perhaps HMMMMM.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message

but usually for more interesting things like doing
high-current fun and game with the kids.

Could you elaborate please???

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:55:18 +0100, John wrote:

"Guy King" wrote in message

but usually for more interesting things like doing
high-current fun and game with the kids.

Could you elaborate please???

Cheers

John

Sounds like he welds the kids to things........

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

Depends on what you want to weld. If things like garden gates then it's
probably ok with practice. For thin sheet like car bodywork you need a MIG
- and a decent one at that.

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-16 00:42:31 +0100, Guy King said:

Talking of cheapies - Netto have a garden shredder next week. Claims on
one hand that it's "silent" and on the other hand that it's "94dB".

Hmmm. Or perhaps HMMMMM.

We know that their marketing people are semiliterate, so being
innumerate as well would
be entirely possible.

As long as they can count to 5 or 6 (max quantity in a stack of boxes),
that is good enough. There is even a little graphic on the side to
help with this.

I suppose that they must find counting cauliflowers intellectually
challenging, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "John" contains these words:

but usually for more interesting things like doing
high-current fun and game with the kids.

Could you elaborate please???

Turning pencils into short-lived incandescant lamps, melting salt with
carbon electrodes (one of these days I must make a rectifier so we can
electrolise some), running large electromagnets to do fun things with -
that sort of stuff.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I've always wanted to try welding..

Stick welding is great fun, but it's really of very little use. Go for
wire-feed (aka MIG), where are least you can start making things with
it.

This is OK for 1/8" steel, so if you've got a garden gate needing
doing, then go for it and have fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"Guy King" wrote in message

but usually for more interesting things like doing
high-current fun and game with the kids.

Could you elaborate please???

Cheers

John

Sounds like he welds the kids to things........

Shocking thing to do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-16 11:37:16 +0100, Owain said:

dennis@home wrote:
but usually for more interesting things like doing
high-current fun and game with the kids.
Sounds like he welds the kids to things........

Shocking thing to do!

Not best current practice.

Owain

I thought it had potential, but that idea met with resistance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've welded car bodies up before with a stick welder, but that was
before the days of MIG, and before bodyfiller was fround upon on the
MOT.

I've done upside down welding on Landie chassis, I've brazed car
sill's on with the carbon brazing rod attachment.

All good experience.

But I would go for the MIG any day.

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:35:17 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I've always wanted to try welding... this thing is cheap enough to buy
it just to have a bash: any comments from anyone who knows *anything*
about welding?!

Depends on what you want to weld. If things like garden gates then it's
probably ok with practice. For thin sheet like car bodywork you need a MIG
- and a decent one at that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Guy King contains these words:

Talking of cheapies - Netto have a garden shredder next week. Claims on
one hand that it's "silent" and on the other hand that it's "94dB".

Then again, in a while they're selling a toaster with "Built-in
controls". Saves losing the remote, I suppose.

--
Skipweasel

major lottery win from Aldi !! Rusty UK diy 1 August 26th 05 11:09 AM
Stryco blade welder Jim Levie Metalworking 18 December 17th 04 08:54 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Gardner Metalworking 4 September 26th 03 06:51 PM
Garage welder wiring questions Tom Kendrick Metalworking 1 September 26th 03 12:56 AM