Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Harvested water for flushing

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
No need. Just have a standard level valve on the collection tank that
only comes on when the tank is very empty.

No, because there might be times when we need the water for the garden.
Our idea was seasonal manual switching.

What difference does it make whether you use it in the bog or the garden?

? We don't have a bog garden ...

It is all mains water saved.
If you run out, then you use mains for the garden as well.

We'd rather use rainwater on the garden.

You won't use any more water and you may even use less, as the water
levels will run lower and you can take greater advantage of any summer
thunderstorms.

I don't understand that last sentence either but I'm not prepared to argue
our case, I'm not trying to persuade anyone else about the benefit.

Mary

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You won't use any more water and you may even use less, as the water
levels will run lower and you can take greater advantage of any summer
thunderstorms.

I don't understand that last sentence either but I'm not prepared to argue
our case, I'm not trying to persuade anyone else about the benefit.

OK, summer drought conditions after a month or two. Two scenarios:

1. You turn off harvesting for the toilet. Your tank is now half full.
2. You leave it on. Your tank is just about empty. You have just started to
use mains water.

Now a thunderstorm breaks and dumps heavy rain down, enough to restore your
tank.

1. You've just gained half a tank of water. You've been using tonnes of
mains water in your toilet all summer.
2. You've just gained a full tank of water. You've used a small amount of
water in the toilet and garden.

Basically, by using it for everything, you will conceivably reduce your
water usage over a system that you turn off for some purposes.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...

I doubt there are many untreated private supplies in the UK. TPTB insist
on regular testing and installation of suitable plant if levels of bugs
and/or minerals and/or pollutants exceed certain limits. In fact I
wouldn't be at all surprised to find that a private supply, filtered and
UV treated *far* cleaner than the average public mains supply.

We've got one. Tastes great, just ignore the reports from the council about
the cauliforms.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...

I doubt there are many untreated private supplies in the UK. TPTB insist
on regular testing and installation of suitable plant if levels of bugs
and/or minerals and/or pollutants exceed certain limits. In fact I
wouldn't be at all surprised to find that a private supply, filtered and
UV treated *far* cleaner than the average public mains supply.

We've got one. Tastes great, just ignore the reports from the council
about the cauliforms.

TPTB wouldn't know if we drank rainwater. It's happened before, might well
again. Some mains supplies really are awful, ours is pretty good.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:57:24 +0100, "Andy McKenzie"
wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:23:09 +0100, wrote:
|
| |On 10 Sep,
| | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| |
| | If the washing water is over 72 deg C when used
| |
| |Most but not all
| |
| | pathogenic bugs will be killed.
|
| Which *pathogenic* bacteria will survive 72 deg C?
| --
| Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
|
|Clostridium perfringens

Only when spores.

You expect Clostridium perfringens spores in a *water tank*?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-10 18:46:17 +0100, Guy King said:
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Except that dishwashers wash a pretty hot temperatures, hot enough to
kill of most bugs and if the heat doesn't get 'em the dishwashing
chemicals probably will. B-)

The wash cycle might be, but the last rinse cycles may be in cold water....

Final cycle on diswashers is very hot - it's the drying cycle.

Depends on the dishwasher, depends on the setting....

Either way, could one be certain that the temperature is high enough to
kill off bugs?

I think we can be certain that its high enough to kill most but not all
bugs. A bug breeding swamp, not all bugs killed then I'm eating off it?
No thanks, not for me. Have used rainwater in the past for this but
would not choose it today

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

However, with the current cost of water, it would take some time to recoup
the investment.

Saving money is not the aim. We already have a reclaimed tank anyway and
plenty of plumbing stuff.

Pay-back isn't considered when we buy a bottle of wine so why should it for
this?

Why install a system that doesnt pay its way when you could install one
that does? The answer is just inability to design.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
pmy pmy is offline

Default Hello to watch this interesting page he is on sharp 904sh

Hello to watch this interesting page he is on sharp 904sh

http://p178.hit-logo-ringtone.com/0-...ex.html?chc=us

http://p178.play-mobilegame.com/

http://pmo.logos-and-ringtones.tv/?p=us

http://es.geocities.com/pmo178/index.html

http://es.geocities.com/pmo178/mapa.index.html

http://p178.hit-logo-ringtone.com/5-...lity/1000/0/0/...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will you **** off.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
You won't use any more water and you may even use less, as the water
levels will run lower and you can take greater advantage of any summer
thunderstorms.

I don't understand that last sentence either but I'm not prepared to argue
our case, I'm not trying to persuade anyone else about the benefit.

OK, summer drought conditions after a month or two. Two scenarios:

1. You turn off harvesting for the toilet. Your tank is now half full.
2. You leave it on. Your tank is just about empty. You have just started to
use mains water.

3. Hosepipe ban - no (or at leats laborious) garden watering with mains.
No restrictions on use for toilets.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-11 10:20:32 +0100, said:

On 10 Sep, Andy Hall wrote:

The wash cycle might be, but the last rinse cycles may be in cold water....

But the very last stage is a high temperature dry.

That depends on the machine type and setting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
.. .
| On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:23:09 +0100, wrote:
|
| |On 10 Sep,
| | Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| |
| | If the washing water is over 72 deg C when used
| |
| |Most but not all
| |
| | pathogenic bugs will be killed.
|
| Which *pathogenic* bacteria will survive 72 deg C?
| --
| Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
|
|Clostridium perfringens

Only when spores.

You expect Clostridium perfringens spores in a *water tank*?
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk

Not neccesarily - I was just being pedantic, although as we are talking
rainwater presumably harvested from roofs, and exposed to windborne and bird
deposited material, I guess you could imagine a mechanism.

Andy