Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default degreasing with vodka?

I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands.
Don't ask ;-)

I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)

Meths works fine but it smells and is a slight contact poison.

Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

I'm surprised at that - I'm pretty sure that people who need to inject
stuff (eg insulin dependent diabetics) have no trouble getting them. An
alternative source may be a local needle exchange - just ask a
neighbourhood junkie ;-)

A lot of smaller jets in the USA stock them in the lav instead of soap
and water - I usually grab a handful. This is of no help to you, of
course.

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

I'd be concerned that normal vodka may be too dilute, but I guess it
depends on how degreased you want to be.
--
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buy isopropanol, or if you really mean no residues, arklone.

I doubt any vodka will be residue free. Are you sure about meths being
a contact poison? It certainly is by ingestion or inhalation, I was
unaware of skin absorbtion. Similarly surprised you can't get medical
wipes, there's plenty on ebay:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)

I'm asking!

Can you not use surgical gloves?

d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep 2006 04:07:05 -0700, "Rob Hamadi" wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
| large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.
|
|I'm surprised at that - I'm pretty sure that people who need to inject
|stuff (eg insulin dependent diabetics) have no trouble getting them.

The ones which are commonly available are disinfecting, anti MRSA, non
alcohol, wipes.

|An
|alternative source may be a local needle exchange - just ask a
|neighbourhood junkie ;-)

I may try that, with another hat on I am in contact with the local needle
exchange.

|A lot of smaller jets in the USA stock them in the lav instead of soap
|and water - I usually grab a handful. This is of no help to you, of
|course.
|
| Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?
|
|I'd be concerned that normal vodka may be too dilute, but I guess it
|depends on how degreased you want to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep 2006 04:14:36 -0700, " wrote:

|Buy isopropanol, or if you really mean no residues, arklone.
|
|I doubt any vodka will be residue free. Are you sure about meths being
|a contact poison?

Yes it was banned in a factory where I was a Safety Rep, but that was for
people who used it hourly, so I am only unhappy about using it for DIY
purposes occasionally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep 2006 04:15:41 -0700, "squelchy" wrote:

|I Could not see why not but you could get a small amount in your blood
|stream through absorbtion could cause you to be over the limit if
|driving ?
|

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands.
| Don't ask ;-)
|
| I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)
|
| Meths works fine but it smells and is a slight contact poison.
|
| Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
| large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.
|
| Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

No! not enough to put one over the limit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep 2006 04:17:45 -0700, "deano" wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|

| I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)
|
|I'm asking!
|
|Can you not use surgical gloves?

Electrical contact measurement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Hamadi" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm surprised at that - I'm pretty sure that people who need to inject
stuff (eg insulin dependent diabetics) have no trouble getting them.

Didn't have a problem getting a box of swabs when I first got diagnosed. IPA
based IIRC.

Not that I ever use them - very quickly discovered there was little point.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Hamadi wrote:
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our
local large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain
oils.

I'm surprised at that - I'm pretty sure that people who need to inject
stuff (eg insulin dependent diabetics) have no trouble getting them.
An alternative source may be a local needle exchange - just ask a
neighbourhood junkie ;-)

A lot of smaller jets in the USA stock them in the lav instead of soap
and water - I usually grab a handful. This is of no help to you, of
course.

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

I'd be concerned that normal vodka may be too dilute, but I guess it
depends on how degreased you want to be.

Frank Sinatra mode on
I've got you under my skin

I hear you should use swarfega...its stop you visiting a dermatologist. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something greasy.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains
these words:

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something
greasy.

Is that why video engineers use it to clean video heads?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands.
Don't ask ;-)

I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)

Why don't you use a different soap? ..or is one not related to the
other?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:

Dove gets rid of calluses which then fissure.

It'll do that by leaving the thin film of oil/moisturiser on your hands
which you then carefully remove! Why not use something else for the rare
occasions when you need to degrease your fingers?

cheers,
clive

I wonder if he's been caught with a bottle of vodka at work and now
he's like "er, yeah, it's for degreasing my fingers because, er, I use
this really greasy soap, er, for, er, my calluses" ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands.
Don't ask ;-)

I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)

I would have thought IPA would do a decent job:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?SKU=SA01884

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:54:10 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands.
Don't ask ;-)

I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)

Meths works fine but it smells and is a slight contact poison.

Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

No idea, what about hand sanitizing gel?

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Product.asp?i=3550&n=Deb+Florafree+Gel+Skin+Saniti zer

Data sheet:
http://www.deb.co.uk/ukdeb/documents/Florafree%20Alcohol%20Gel%20Skin%20Sanitiser%20MSD S.pdf

--
bweebar

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these
words:

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something
greasy.

I thought that Isopropanol was the US name for Isopropyl alcohol. Anyway,
why can't/won't Dave F. use it?
I just used some on my fingers; and the skin is dry, smooth, and free from
residue.

Sylvain.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Guy King wrote:
The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains
these words:

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something
greasy.

Is that why video engineers use it to clean video heads?

Video engineers use Isopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol) to clean video heads.
That's a fact.

Sylvain.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:52:33 GMT, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

|"Guy King" wrote in message
| The message
| from Dave Fawthrop contains these
| words:
|
| Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?
|
| Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something
| greasy.
|
|I thought that Isopropanol was the US name for Isopropyl alcohol. Anyway,
|why can't/won't Dave F. use it?
|I just used some on my fingers; and the skin is dry, smooth, and free from
|residue.

Thanks, I'll go for Isopropyl alcohol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob Hamadi" typed

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

I have bought boxes of the over the counter in the past. They worked out
at 2½p each or so.

Ask for 'Mediwipes' or sterets.

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

I'd be concerned that normal vodka may be too dilute, but I guess it
depends on how degreased you want to be.

You could try spectacle cleaning spray from any optician, or spectacle
cleaning wipes.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"squelchy" typed

I Could not see why not but you could get a small amount in your blood
stream through absorbtion could cause you to be over the limit if
driving ?

Absorption through the skin is minimal.

Unsurprisingly, absorption through the stomach is better but you have to
drink a couple of measures or so to exceed the driviing limit...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" typed

"Rob Hamadi" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm surprised at that - I'm pretty sure that people who need to inject
stuff (eg insulin dependent diabetics) have no trouble getting them.

Didn't have a problem getting a box of swabs when I first got
diagnosed. IPA
based IIRC.

Not that I ever use them - very quickly discovered there was little point.

There is no point using them prior to injection, but they are very useful for:

cleaning spectacle lenses

restarting reluctant ballpoint pens

removing ballpoint ink stains

cleaning computer monitor screens

wiping newly pierced ears etc, etc, etc.

I must get some more soon...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" contains
these words:

Is that why video engineers use it to clean video heads?

Video engineers use Isopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol) to clean video heads.
That's a fact.

I always used it when I did tape players for a living.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something
greasy.

Is that why video engineers use it to clean video heads?

I saw a friend use it to clean an LP once and it left a dreadful sticky
oily mess. IIRC it's got castor oi, methyl salycylate and other things
in it.

I suspect you're thinking of isopropanol.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

You could try spectacle cleaning spray from any optician, or spectacle
cleaning wipes.

Aldi sometimes have boxen of optical wipes @79p/100. I'm not glazed, but
the wife reckons they're very good.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-08 11:54:10 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
said:

I use Dove soap which leaves a thin film of oil/moisturiser on my hands.
Don't ask ;-)

I need to de-grease my finger tips. Don't ask ;-)

Meths works fine but it smells and is a slight contact poison.

Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

Yes they are. I buy them by the box for finger cleaning before blood
glucose tests. Look for Sterets - these are isopropanol and water in
a pad.

For some reason, chemists don't seem to have them, but I don't know why
- they are not restricted. Google for on line suppliers but it's worth
looking at a few because price varies quite a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

Yes they are. I buy them by the box for finger cleaning before blood
glucose tests. Look for Sterets - these are isopropanol and water in a
pad.

To return to a previous conversation - do you do that for all your tests?
You don't actually need to - obviously make sure your hands are basically
clean (no stirring honey first either!), but that's about it.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-08 18:59:50 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

Yes they are. I buy them by the box for finger cleaning before blood
glucose tests. Look for Sterets - these are isopropanol and water in
a pad.

To return to a previous conversation - do you do that for all your
tests? You don't actually need to - obviously make sure your hands are
basically clean (no stirring honey first either!), but that's about it.

cheers,
clive

If I am able to wash my hands with soap and water then that's fine.

When that isn't possible, and especially if I have eaten and don't have
any options to wash hands wipes are useful. It does make a difference
even if one has not been behaving like PTB.

However, thinking of the application here, it's one thing using a swab
to clean a finger, but would need several to clean hands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It ought too be (banned). AKA dry cleaning fluid. I've nearly passed out wiv
it at jbex, where it was hfrd as a nelectrical insultant.

Are you sniffing some right now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-08 18:59:50 +0100, "Clive George"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our
local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

Yes they are. I buy them by the box for finger cleaning before blood
glucose tests. Look for Sterets - these are isopropanol and water in a
pad.

To return to a previous conversation - do you do that for all your tests?
You don't actually need to - obviously make sure your hands are basically
clean (no stirring honey first either!), but that's about it.

If I am able to wash my hands with soap and water then that's fine.

When that isn't possible, and especially if I have eaten and don't have
any options to wash hands wipes are useful. It does make a difference
even if one has not been behaving like PTB.

? (how much difference, and PTB?)

Still seems OTT to me. Water does for most handwashing, and I wouldn't
specifically wash before testing.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Electrical contact measurement.

Now I'm curious. Is this as part of some new product development or is
it a standard requirement when performing certain electrical
installations?

My mind is conjuring up all sorts of possible scenarios, many of which
feature a lab, white coats, Tefal foreheads and nervous white bunny
rabbits!

deano.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-08, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

"Guy King" wrote in message
.. .

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these
words:

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

Isopropanol's good. Surgical spirit is poor as it contains something
greasy.

I thought that Isopropanol was the US name for Isopropyl alcohol.

It's the IUPAC name. Nothing to do with the Septics.

At the risk of being flamed as a pedant, the IUPAC name is Propan-2-ol

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-08 18:59:50 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

[...]

You missed my point.

Of course water is OK.

My usage case is for when water or the possibility to wash hands is not
conveniently available.

Even without the obvious touching of certain foods which one probably
shouldn't be eating anyway, I have seen differences of up to 2 mmol/l
which is obviously very significant.

PTB = Pooh Ther Bear. His connection with sticky stuff (aka hunny)
is legendary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:39:58 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Rob Hamadi" typed

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Medical alcohol wipes are not available to the public, even at our local
large chemist. Also I need to know that they do not contain oils.

I have bought boxes of the over the counter in the past. They worked out
at 2½p each or so.

Ask for 'Mediwipes' or sterets.

Does anyone know vodka will work as a degreaser?

I'd be concerned that normal vodka may be too dilute, but I guess it
depends on how degreased you want to be.

You could try spectacle cleaning spray from any optician, or spectacle
cleaning wipes.

Boots "Moist Lens Wipes" contain propan-2-ol.

Moist Cleaning Tissues made by "Selles Medical Ltd" of Hull, as
included in first-aid kits, just claim to be Alcohol Free (mmmm - free
alcohol!).

I think I'd rather just drink the alcohol and forget about the
grease...

--
Frank Erskine