Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ot : Damn Britsh Gas

Changed over to BG from NP.

Ok I've made a mistake of not remembering to call them when there was about
a pound in the meter for them to arrange a call to have the meter reset.

I've just phoned (26 minutes wait,never had this long wait with NP)BG
informing them that the meter will not accept BG's new card they informed
me the earliest appointment for the reset will be tomorrow afternoon, I see
what do I cook on? now I have to use NP's card to buy more gas or use the
Emergency and lo and behold because I've gone and purchased credit on BG's
card this card is now defunct as it needs to be credited to the meter
before purchase,it doesn't say anything about this on the bloody welcome
letter.

Damn you BG for your incompetence to answer telephone calls sooner rather
than later,if NP can answer calls in the space of 5minutes or not more than
10 then why can't they.
I swear they're shaking hands with BT.

Where's the camping stove?

Rant over

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default Damn Britsh Gas

The3rd Earl Of Pikey wrote:

Changed over to BG from NP.

Ok I've made a mistake of not remembering to call them when there was
about a pound in the meter for them to arrange a call to have the
meter reset.

LOL @ prepay meters !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
Changed over to BG from NP.

In spite of all the bad reports about British Gas.
I see that you're already beginning to regret it.
Can you tell us why you changed over?

Sylvain.

[...]

I've got an electric twin burner for emergencies; I think that I've only
used it once, a long time ago.

Sylvain.

Rant over

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ok I've made a mistake of not remembering to call them when there was about
a pound in the meter for them to arrange a call to have the meter reset.
I've just phoned (26 minutes wait,never had this long wait with NP)BG
informing them that the meter will not accept BG's new card they informed
me the earliest appointment for the reset will be tomorrow afternoon

You are effectively off supply - if it was an electric supply, you
should have had someone out to you within TWO HOURS irrespective of who
your supplier is.

If this was an electricity supply, this would be a failure under the
guaranteed standards and you should get a payment - sadly, at first
glance, these rules do not appear to apply to gas (there`s a section in
the link below).

I have an old copy of the guaranteed standards on my site:

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/Guara...s_17-12-03.doc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
[...]

Why don't you go down the Chinese? - I hear that bird you was after shafting
is offering free '69's

:-p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-05 16:26:35 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

Changed over to BG from NP.

[...]

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are prepaid,
they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use them, given
that they are the most expensive way of paying for gas/electricity, but lots
of people have little choice in the matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-05 23:27:42 +0100, "Phil L" said:

Andy Hall wrote:

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are
prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use
them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for
gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?

The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain customers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-05 23:27:42 +0100, "Phil L"
said:
Andy Hall wrote:

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are
prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to
use them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for
gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?

The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain
customers.

Because some people don't have bank accounts for setting up DD's yet still
need gas and electricity.
Some people can't save enough money together to pay a bill all in one go,
let alone two, and can only 'pay-as-they-go'.
These people have card meters and pay an extortionate rate for
gas/electricity

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-05 23:27:42 +0100, "Phil L"
said:
Andy Hall wrote:

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are
prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to
use them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for
gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?

The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain
customers.

Because some people don't have bank accounts for setting up DD's yet
still need gas and electricity.

.... and the banks and building societies are also falling over
themselves to win and retain customers. There's really no excuse not to
have a bank account somewhere.

Some people can't save enough money together to pay a bill all in one
go, let alone two, and can only 'pay-as-they-go'.

That makes no sense either. All of the energy suppliers operate
annualised budget schemes where the customer pays monthly.

These people have card meters and pay an extortionate rate for gas/electricity

It's very difficult to find sympathy with that when there are so many
other options whereby this is unnecessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

Because some people don't have bank accounts for setting up DD's yet still
need gas and electricity.
Some people can't save enough money together to pay a bill all in one go,
let alone two, and can only 'pay-as-they-go'.
These people have card meters and pay an extortionate rate for
gas/electricity

Many suppliers use these for debt recovery as well. So not only do you
pay over the odds anyway - they use an additional price hike to recover
past debts.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-06 05:54:19 +0100, John Rumm said:

Phil L wrote:

Because some people don't have bank accounts for setting up DD's yet
still need gas and electricity.
Some people can't save enough money together to pay a bill all in one
go, let alone two, and can only 'pay-as-they-go'.
These people have card meters and pay an extortionate rate for gas/electricity

Many suppliers use these for debt recovery as well. So not only do you
pay over the odds anyway - they use an additional price hike to recover
past debts.

... of other people as well, by the sound of it....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Card meters do. Bloody awful things, and the cause of our leaving BG
when we bought this house with a card meter installed and they wouldn't
change it "Because we were late paying a bill, once, seven years
earlier".

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are
prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use
them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for
gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?

The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain
customers.

But not those who they perceive as unlikely to pay on a credit
arrangement. I've loads of neighbours who can't get a credit meter and
have to have one of these expensive card meters.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Many suppliers use these for debt recovery as well. So not only do you
pay over the odds anyway - they use an additional price hike to
recover past debts.

.. of other people as well, by the sound of it....

Apparently it can be quite a pain getting shot of one if you move into a
property and the "property" has a bad debt record!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-06 11:26:28 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are
prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use
them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for
gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?

The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain
customers.

But not those who they perceive as unlikely to pay on a credit
arrangement. I've loads of neighbours who can't get a credit meter and
have to have one of these expensive card meters.

This is really fixing the problem in the wrong way. The issue that
needs to be addressed is why they can't manage their finances

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-06 11:25:33 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Card meters do. Bloody awful things, and the cause of our leaving BG
when we bought this house with a card meter installed and they wouldn't
change it "Because we were late paying a bill, once, seven years
earlier".

I completely agree.

Any supplier who plays silly games like that loses the business without
further discussion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 22:27:42 +0000, Phil L wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

You have a meter where you put in coins and cards?

I didn't know that those still existed.

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are prepaid,
they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use them, given
that they are the most expensive way of paying for gas/electricity, but lots
of people have little choice in the matter.

Equigas & Equielec are a mid price supplier who (uniquely?) don't put a
premium on prepay customers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

This is really fixing the problem in the wrong way. The issue that
needs to be addressed is why they can't manage their finances

True, but I am sure the gas supplier rates that as SEP.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Card meters do. Bloody awful things, and the cause of our leaving BG
when we bought this house with a card meter installed and they wouldn't
change it "Because we were late paying a bill, once, seven years
earlier".

I completely agree.

Any supplier who plays silly games like that loses the business without
further discussion.

Yeah, well, it wouldn't have happened if they hadn't mucked us about so
badly.
Moved in, arranged visit to change meter, waited in all day - no show.
Rang them up. "Oh, sorry, we're not coming". Took ages to find out it
was 'cos of late payment seven years earlier.
Offered to pay Direct Debit. "Oh, that's fine, we'll be round tomorrow".
Waited in all day, didn't turn up.
Rang them up. "Oh, sorry, wer're not coming". Took ages to find out why.
Apparently person who told me they were OK with DD wasn't right and they
weren't.
Rang nPower, who arrived bright and early next morning, replaced meter,
signed up for DD payment and have been happy ever since.

Now, when BG call at the door take great delight in explaining exactly
why I'll never ever ever go with them again for anything.

Even more fun when they ring at the door and start with "This is just a
courtesy call".
"Do you always greet someone by lying to them?"
"Pardon?"
"I've just answered the door and the first thing you say to me is a lie.
I'm not one of your customers and you know this. So this must be a sales
call, not a courtesy call. I don't like being lied to on my own
doorstep. Goodbye"

Bloke before last broke the gate-latch, so annoyed was he. I enjoyed
dropping him in it with BG's complaints dept. According to the next one
he got sacked shortly after as quite a few people complained about him.
This one said he'd put me down as DO NOT DISTURB, but it has't worked,
they still call.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-06 11:26:28 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are
prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use
them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for
gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?

The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain
customers.

But not those who they perceive as unlikely to pay on a credit
arrangement. I've loads of neighbours who can't get a credit meter and
have to have one of these expensive card meters.

This is really fixing the problem in the wrong way. The issue that needs
to be addressed is why they can't manage their finances

It is not a nanny state yet. The government have not taken control of
"their" finances.

Have you ever worked in the houses of these people who cannot manage their
finances? As well as paying more for their gas and electricity through the
prepayment schemes they also tend to live in houses that use more energy
than should be needed to keep their uninsulated and damp rented properties
warm.

The cure?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-08 17:59:10 +0100, "ARWadsworth"

On 2006-09-06 11:26:28 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Not coins, but card meters are still being installed, the cards are
prepaid, they are mostly used by the people who can least afford to use
them, given that they are the most expensive way of paying for
gas/electricity, but lots of people have little choice in the matter.

Why?

The energy suppliers are falling over themselves to win and retain
customers.

But not those who they perceive as unlikely to pay on a credit
arrangement. I've loads of neighbours who can't get a credit meter and
have to have one of these expensive card meters.

This is really fixing the problem in the wrong way. The issue that
needs to be addressed is why they can't manage their finances

It is not a nanny state yet. The government have not taken control of
"their" finances.

Who said anything asbout involving the government?

Damn :-( The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 26 August 18th 06 05:20 PM
Ohhh ..... DAMN!! Damn, damn, damn. Broke a gear! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 August 11th 05 07:37 PM
Damn Chuck JK Metalworking 9 June 5th 05 05:08 AM
OT - Damn Kids J T Woodworking 16 August 1st 04 03:11 AM
Rockwell 20" bandsaw question Steve Smith Woodworking 7 September 18th 03 12:13 PM