J T

Default OT - Damn Kids

Yes, yes, I know our children are the light of our lives. That's
when they aren't being the bane of our existance. I have two, one just
turned 28, and one who will soon turn 24.

Awhile back, the younger son buys a Buick. A running, 1952 Buick,
good body, needs an interior, needs a bit of floor work, some trim
missing. Not sure how much he paid, but not a lot; no where near $1000,
that I know. Very restorable. With a good title.

A few days ago, he comes home with a Buick. A running 1952 Buick.
No title this time, but good body, has all the pieces the other is
missing. Paid $350 for this one. He probably could get a title, but
it'd take time, and hassle; instead, he intends to just mine it for
parts for the other one, which is a fancier model, and in about the same
shape. I think he may intend to sell the body after. Oh yeah, both of
them have straight 8s. The other engine runs good, but this one runs
great.

Today he comes home with a 1991, V6 Astro, former work van. Needs
a battery, driver seat torn up a bit, and something is wrong with the
trans, but it is driveable, runs great, body excellent, decent tires.
Comes with a title. Cost? Nothing. He can get a rebuilt trans in for
about $300.

Sometime back, he came home with a 1980 Pontiac station wagon,
including a good title. Runs fine, but needs trans work. Body is
great, interior is great. Cost? Zip.

I can't get the older one to spend 4 hours working on my Luv, so I
can get it on the road.

Damn kids.

JOAT
The highway of fear is the road to defeat.
- Bazooka Joe
JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

J T

Sat, Jul 31, 2004, 5:49am (EDT+4) patriarch
) ponders:
So is this recycling operation set up at your place, at his place, or
are they the same place? snip

Here. He actually had moved out. Then got laid off. And moved
back in.

A couple of days before the Buick got here, he got rid of a 1980
Olds wagon, no engine or trans. Along with one of my parts cars, 1980
turbo Buick Riviera. Which leave me with 7 (seven) vehicles with no
tage (only 2 (two) of which are mine, and 3 (three) licensed vehicles,
now living here, not counting the Astro, which is still on the rollback.
Plus, the other Buick, which is at my older son's place, along with a
1976 Blazer that's about ready for the road. I'm not sure if he has
anything else anywhere or not. Oh yeah, he got rid of a nice little
Nissan 4X4, with a blown fron differential, and had the engine pulled to
go in his 2X4 Datsun pickup.

So, could the young 'un get the LUV running?

Yep, no prob. So could the older one, if he'd just do it. I
figure 2 people, would take about 4 hours - probably less. One person,
I figure maybe a day - max. The kid had me move it to his place a
lonnnng time ago, so he "could work on it". HA! If he'd do 5 minutes
worth of work at a time, it could have been done long ago. Not that
much to do, hook up some wires, drop in the distributer, hook up some
hoses, replace the driveshaft, that's about it. I think he wants me to
give it to him. HA! He's already been told, I'll srap it first. They
did finally put the engine in it. A nice crate engine 350 Chevy.
Hehehe Just the thing for hauling ash. I've offered to spring for a
cookout, if he'll just invite a few buddies over to help him work on it.
Nope, it's": Too hot, too cold, too wet, groud's too hard, it's a nice
day so I'm going to the lake, ad nauseum. Any excuse is good enough
when you don't want to do something.

I'd do it myself, but with my joints, it'd about kill me.

Alternatively, how do you feel about Buicks from the early fifties?

Cool. But, early '50s Chevys witj 302 inline GMC engines are even
cooler.

JOAT
The highway of fear is the road to defeat.
- Bazooka Joe
JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

J T

Because he brought the van home on a rollback, I forgot the 1991
Saab he got for $150, which runs perfectly, great body, only could use a
paint job, and is now licensed and on the road. He alternates driving
that with his 2X4 Datsun truck, with the hot engine out of the 4X4
Nissan pickup he got rid of. I've driven the Datsun a few time, he
stuck a 5-speed in it, in place of the 4-speed, and with that engine,
it's a hoot to drive.

JOAT
The highway of fear is the road to defeat.
- Bazooka Joe
JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

Phisherman

I would not care what the kids brought home, as long as the "home"
belongs to them. If he is staying with you give him by the end of
the month to move out. If not, you are "enabling" him.
Bruce

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:41:18 -0600, J T wrote
(in article ):

Sounds like you have landscaping!

-Bruce (w/52 F1 truck and 70 Mach 1 up on blocks...)

JOAT
The highway of fear is the road to defeat.
- Bazooka Joe
JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 05:49:42 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

(J T) wrote in news:9294-410B06CE-521@storefull-
3153.bay.webtv.net:

Yes, yes, I know our children are the light of our lives. That's
when they aren't being the bane of our existance. I have two, one just
turned 28, and one who will soon turn 24.

snip of some serious iron scrounging...

Damn kids.

So is this recycling operation set up at your place, at his place, or are
they the same place? 'cause when my oldest did this a couple of years ago,
I gave two of them away for next to nothing, when he went away to college
out of state, and left parts all over my workshop...

I love 'em, but tonight, I feel just a bit of your pain.

So, could the young 'un get the LUV running? Alternatively, how do you
feel about Buicks from the early fifties?

Patriarch,
whose fleet is thankfully down to three...

that buick would prolly make a decent pickup truck. they made the
frames pretty strong back then.... just sawzall off the trunk lid and
the roof behind the driver's seat and pitch the back seats....

jo4hn

J T wrote:
[snip]
Cool. But, early '50s Chevys witj 302 inline GMC engines are even
cooler.

Way cool. Had a '50 Chevvy with that engine. Two bbl carb. Wing nuts
on the case of the stocker tranny. Them was the days.
sigh,
jo4hn

"The weed of crime bears a bitter fruit." -L. Cranston

Bruce

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:52:33 -0600, Mark Hopkins wrote
(in article ):

Wanna sell that 70 Mach 1?

It's just the body (near perfect!) w/doors and hood. I sold all the bits 'n'
pieces on ebay 8^)

-Bruce

John Beckman

Its nice to see someone make the distinction between "red-neck" and "good
ole boy". When I was coming up redneck was derogatory, good ole boy was a
compliment. However it is a fine line between two.

Our example was that a redneck would just toss his empty beer can out the
truck window while a good ole boy would open the sliding rear window in the
pickup and toss the empty back into the truck bed.......Two totally
different mindsets.....

John

"J T" wrote in message
Sat, Jul 31, 2004, 4:30pm (EDT+4) (Rich)
ponders:
So all these cars are in the front yard?
You might be a redneck if....

There ain't a one on blocks, and besides, I'm a good ole boy, not a
redneck.