Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw

Default Diesel starting problem - update

Hi All

I'm not 100% sure of the netiquette associated with providing an update to a
recent thread. I'm sure, if you're like me, that you don't read old threads,
so I thought I'd make a posting under a new subject.

If you can recall, I have an old BMW that has an intermittent starting
problem. It is not frequent, but has happened again. I'm pretty sure now
that it relates to a less than 1/4 full tank. Certainly, in answer to
another poster, there is NO cloud of black smoke when it does start. This
would presumably indicate that no fuel is getting into the engine, and may
suggest a pump or filter problem.

The local garage could not identify a problem, but did notice that there was
a new fuel filter fitted. I guess this was at a BMW service (I'll ask them
next week). My FIL also noted that their BMW (diesel) had a similar starting
problem that had a fuel pump relay replaced as a first guess; later the
whole pump was replaced which cured the problem.

Would this problem suggest that the fuel filter or pump is at fault? Why
would a faulty pump only show up as faulty with an empty(ish) tank?

Diesel starting problem Grumps UK diy 40 August 30th 06 04:47 PM
briggs&stratton starting problem donald girod Home Repair 22 July 2nd 06 04:18 PM
Fluorescent Light Not Starting Problem ? Robert11 Home Repair 7 September 19th 05 06:23 PM
Toro 521 Snow Thrower has problem starting up Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Home Repair 8 February 27th 05 02:42 PM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Woodworking 0 July 13th 03 09:39 PM