Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ancient mains socket wanted

Hi,

Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg and
where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on
mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If
anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one it
would be usefull.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg and
where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on
mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If
anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one it
would be usefull.

Thanks

the only thing i can see from that picture is its round. Maybe post a
sensible pic

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Salisbury" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg
and where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on
mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If
anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one
it would be usefull.

Thanks

Do you want the socket (as in the header) or the two pin plug? If the plug
I may have one in my box of bits - I'll have a look tomorrow.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
o.uk...

"James Salisbury" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg
and where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it
on mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp.
If anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find
one it would be usefull.

Thanks

Do you want the socket (as in the header) or the two pin plug? If the
plug I may have one in my box of bits - I'll have a look tomorrow.

Peter

I have the plug set as shown, I am looking for a socket, thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg
and
where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on
mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If
anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one
it would be usefull.

Looks like a 2 pin 5A plug to BS 546 although does it say 2A on it? a 2A 2
pin version was made but according to Wikipedia "didn't seem to catch on
in practice".

Owain

Yes it defiantly has 2A embossed on it. So on that scale, I suppose the
lampholder must be SBC.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
James Salisbury wrote:

Does anyone recorgnise this plug
http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg and where can I get one from?
Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on mains. I will be useing
it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If anyone could find a
low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one it would be
usefull.

Looks like a 2 pin 5A plug to BS 546 although does it say 2A on it? a 2A
2 pin version was made but according to Wikipedia "didn't seem to catch
on in practice".

Aren't these still used for electric shaver sockets.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham wrote:

Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg
and
where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on
mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If
anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one
it would be usefull.

Looks like a 2 pin 5A plug to BS 546 although does it say 2A on it? a 2A 2
pin version was made but according to Wikipedia "didn't seem to catch on
in practice".

Owain

Yes it defiantly has 2A embossed on it. So on that scale, I suppose the
lampholder must be SBC.

in that case try a shaver adaptor. I dont know the dimensions of the 2A
one, but if its 4mm then 4mm sockets are fairly ubiquitous.

Something like that would not be hard to make a socket for if you come
up short.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:50:14 GMT, "Peter Andrews"
wrote:

|"James Salisbury" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg
| and where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on
| mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If
| anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one
| it would be usefull.

|Do you want the socket (as in the header) or the two pin plug? If the plug
|I may have one in my box of bits - I'll have a look tomorrow.

I have seen 2 and 5 amp round pin plugs used on modern theatrical lights
installations which presumably run on a *star* power system. So they
should be still available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|"James Salisbury" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| Does anyone recorgnise this plug http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg
| and where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it
on
| mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp.
If
| anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find
one
| it would be usefull.

|Do you want the socket (as in the header) or the two pin plug? If the
plug
|I may have one in my box of bits - I'll have a look tomorrow.

I have seen 2 and 5 amp round pin plugs used on modern theatrical lights
installations which presumably run on a *star* power system. So they
should be still available.
--

snipped

Modern ?? i don't think so, most modern theatres are now either 16A ceeform
or 15A round pin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
john2 wrote:

Looks like a 2 pin 5A plug to BS 546 although does it say 2A on it? a
2A 2 pin version was made but according to Wikipedia "didn't seem to
catch on in practice".

Aren't these still used for electric shaver sockets.

5A ones, not 2A ones. In fact I think the shaver sockets are a
Euro-socket and it's a matter of convenience rather than standard that
5A plugs also fit.

The science labs at school were all wired with 2 pin 5A sockets along
the benches.

Owain

British shavers still come with those old 2 pin 5A plugs as standard,
and shaver sockets and adaptors are designed to take a few different
types of plug, including these. The pins are now half sleeved, and the
popular body shape thinner, but its the same old standard.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:34:09 +0100, Owain
wrote:

The science labs at school were all wired with 2 pin 5A sockets along
the benches.

ISTR in primary school Ca 1950 the communal wireless system (Never
used, even once, of course like all the high tech ideas such as slide
projectors and tape recorders foisted on the 55 - 60 year old
teachers) the speakers used similar plugs presumably sized so they
couldn't be plugged into a 5A mains socket.

Can't help the OP unless one could be found in a radio / surplus junk
shop.

There used to be so many around.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The science labs at school were all wired with 2 pin 5A sockets along
the benches.

ISTR in primary school Ca 1950 the communal wireless system (Never
used, even once, of course like all the high tech ideas such as slide
projectors and tape recorders foisted on the 55 - 60 year old
teachers) the speakers used similar plugs presumably sized so they
couldn't be plugged into a 5A mains socket.

Can't help the OP unless one could be found in a radio / surplus junk
shop.

did synchronous mains clocks in public buildings used to have plugs like
these.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
British shavers still come with those old 2 pin 5A plugs as standard,

I think you'll find they are a continental size. At least my recently
bought Philips is. And I dunno where you'd get a 'British' shaver these
days.;-)

and shaver sockets and adaptors are designed to take a few different
types of plug, including these. The pins are now half sleeved, and the
popular body shape thinner, but its the same old standard.

There must be a million variations. Even the pitch between two and three
pin 5 amp was different - so you couldn't fit a rigid two pin into a 3 pin
socket. Makers like Clix had flexible pins to get round this.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
john2 writes:
did synchronous mains clocks in public buildings used to have plugs like
these.

If you mean the centrally driven impulse clocks, IME they
are wired in directly. Since they are all in series, one
being unplugged would have stopped the lot.

If you mean mains clocks with synchronous motors, there
have been a number of different clock points from different
manufacturers, as I don't think they were ever standardised.
However, I've never seen them used on this type of plug.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JohnDW" wrote in message
. ..
James Salisbury, in article j-
, says...
Hi,

Does anyone recorgnise this plug
http://www.salisbury.org.uk/power.jpg
and
where can I get one from? Don't worry too much I won't be useing it on
mains. I will be useing it on a 12V SELV supply for a microscope lamp. If
anyone could find a low voltage bulb or have ideas where I could find one
it
would be usefull.

It looks to me like an old 2-pin Bulgin - probably not made
any more. I can't see one on
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C43B16FAD.
Try to see if it will fit into a modern 3-pin 2A socket - but
you'll need to find one without shutters, which is probably
impossible these days. You'll need to give the dimensions of
the pins to get any more useful information. It looks smaller
than a shaver plug or 5A types.

It would be simpler to trash the plug and replace it with a
suitable plug and socket that can be sourced today, such as
one from the IEC range, used on computers.

I'd replace the wire also, assuming it is the same vintage.
--
JohnW.
Please change nospam to news to mail me.

The dimentions are
pins are 11mm long
distance between pins is 8.4mm
diameter of pin is 3.6mm
external pins width is 15.6mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The science labs at school were all wired with 2 pin 5A sockets along
the benches.

ISTR in primary school Ca 1950 the communal wireless system (Never
used, even once, of course like all the high tech ideas such as slide
projectors and tape recorders foisted on the 55 - 60 year old
teachers) the speakers used similar plugs presumably sized so they
couldn't be plugged into a 5A mains socket.

Can't help the OP unless one could be found in a radio / surplus junk
shop.

did synchronous mains clocks in public buildings used to have plugs like
these.

That DOES ring a distinct bell..
john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnDW wrote:
James Salisbury, in article
, says...

The dimentions are
pins are 11mm long
distance between pins is 8.4mm
diameter of pin is 3.6mm
external pins width is 15.6mm

Try inches, for that vintage :-)

Sorry, I've looked in my old catalogue and can't find a mating
replacement. I think it's too small for BS546 2 Amp, and for
the other's suggested here. I have used the connector years
ago but it isn't made today - it was old when I was playing
with it 50 years ago...

Assuming this isn't a rebuild for a museum, you'll have to
replace the plug and socket (and wire) with a modern
replacement. Alternativly, you could try a DIY solution using
banana plug sockets and potting compound.

JohnW

If you use 4m sockets you'll need ones less than 8.4mm wide, or to file
the plastic down to get them close enough. And will need to position
them just right to get enough sideways pull on the bins to stop the
plug falling out, but not too much so its stiff or causes damage.

The other option is just 2 holes in plastic and spring strip behind it
to grip the pins. Or even more basic, 2 holes in wood and wires in the
holes. I'm assuming this isnt connected direct to mains.

I suppose in principle you might find a chocblock with 3.6mm holes
8.4mm apart... but you'd be looking all year to find it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnDW wrote:
James Salisbury, in article
, says...

The dimentions are
pins are 11mm long
distance between pins is 8.4mm
diameter of pin is 3.6mm
external pins width is 15.6mm

Try inches, for that vintage :-)

Sorry, I've looked in my old catalogue and can't find a mating
replacement. I think it's too small for BS546 2 Amp, and for
the other's suggested here. I have used the connector years
ago but it isn't made today - it was old when I was playing
with it 50 years ago...

Assuming this isn't a rebuild for a museum, you'll have to
replace the plug and socket (and wire) with a modern
replacement. Alternativly, you could try a DIY solution using
banana plug sockets and potting compound.

JohnW

Or ebay, in the vintage electronics sections.

I managed to get the sort of plug that was used on early battery powered
valve radios for the 1.5v heater battery..needed one for the FM aerial
on a 50's mains radio VHF aerial input.

Ah, the good old days when you only needed 88-102MHz, cos there weren't
any stations beyond that. The mysteries of a chain of heaters in series
with a dial lamp and a socking great resistor all across the mains..and
the joy of 400V HT - at least until it got to that room heating dropper
resistor and the wonderful sound of a 5W class UL84 humming its way
through the cricket commentary on Long Waves.

And you all crouched round it keeping yer mitts warm on the bakelite in
winter...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
JohnDW wrote:
James Salisbury, in article
, says...

The dimentions are
pins are 11mm long
distance between pins is 8.4mm
diameter of pin is 3.6mm
external pins width is 15.6mm

Try inches, for that vintage :-)

Sorry, I've looked in my old catalogue and can't find a mating
replacement. I think it's too small for BS546 2 Amp, and for
the other's suggested here. I have used the connector years
ago but it isn't made today - it was old when I was playing
with it 50 years ago...

Assuming this isn't a rebuild for a museum, you'll have to
replace the plug and socket (and wire) with a modern
replacement. Alternativly, you could try a DIY solution using
banana plug sockets and potting compound.

JohnW

It's a private rebuild. So will go for a 24v bulb and for the socket use
some 32A terminal strip behind some suitable period looking plastic
material. It is only to iluminate a microscope, so 5w or 21w should be fine!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury wrote:
James Salisbury, in article
, says...

The dimentions are
pins are 11mm long
distance between pins is 8.4mm
diameter of pin is 3.6mm
external pins width is 15.6mm

It's a private rebuild. So will go for a 24v bulb and for the socket use
some 32A terminal strip behind some suitable period looking plastic
material. It is only to iluminate a microscope, so 5w or 21w should be fine!

1w would probably be plenty for that. It wouldnt be hard to make it
unpluggable you know, just 2x 4mm sockets.

NT