Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disbaled access - area of hard standing for wheelchairs etc?

I have to make my house (new build started 2000) compliant for disabled
access.

Largely it complies: I just have to make one of its entrances 'compliant'...

I have a large gravel drive that can access two doors..

...but one of them needs some kind of hard standing/ramp to presumably
allow someone in a wheelchair to park by it and get in with a wheelchair.

The problem is that its not uncommon for 15 tons of tractor or 30 tons
of gravel lorry to use those drives: anything that is of a hard nature
will have to be built to take them.

HOWEVER my perusal of the regulations *seems* to say that all that is
required is a strip of hard standing ALONGSIDE which a car can pull up
and disgorge the aforesaid cripple and wheelchair onto some kind of
unstepped access into the dwelling...

I almost have this already in the shape of a stone flagged entrance to
the front door which would require simply a flag tipped up at an angle,
and maybe a couple more stone flags to mean that the car could (instead
of now being 1'6" from the edge) park right alongside..

Has anybody had direct experience of this? The regulations are
distinctly vague in this area. I had thought that I had to provide e.g.
concrete or tarmac for the car itself, but this does not seem to be the
case?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:26:59 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named The
Natural Philosopher randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I have to make my house (new build started 2000) compliant for disabled
access.

HOWEVER my perusal of the regulations *seems* to say that all that is
required is a strip of hard standing ALONGSIDE which a car can pull up
and disgorge the aforesaid cripple and wheelchair onto some kind of
unstepped access into the dwelling...

The requirement is there to allow for any disabled person to visit
your house. They may be getting out of a car (or a taxi) on the
driver's or the passenger's side, so they may need to cross from the
far side of a car to the entrance.

The guidance in Approved Document M says, "Requirement M1 will be
satisfied, if, within the plot of the dwelling, a suitable approach is
provided from the point of access to the entrance....The whole, or
part, of the approach may be a driveway". This means that a firm and
level access could be provided from the back of the pavement.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

So..and thanks Hugo ..provided that its possible to go in reverse or
forward, all it takes is an apron of hard material from the car to the
door that is big enough for a wheelchair, and more or less level with no
steps in it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have to make my house (new build started 2000) compliant for disabled
access.
Largely it complies: I just have to make one of its entrances 'compliant'...

IANAL / builder etc (although I *am* regd disabled - walking wounded)

If it only needs to be in place long enough for the building inspector
to pass it, throw a couple of slabs down, get the project signed off,
then put the chippings back :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
I have to make my house (new build started 2000) compliant for disabled
access.
Largely it complies: I just have to make one of its entrances 'compliant'...

IANAL / builder etc (although I *am* regd disabled - walking wounded)

If it only needs to be in place long enough for the building inspector
to pass it, throw a couple of slabs down, get the project signed off,
then put the chippings back :-}

Well actually we DO have a registered disabled mother in law who DOES
manage to just use the front entrance..she can manage the 4" step..

...I don;t have a problem with the right permanent solution that passes
the specs..just looking for the best one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well actually we DO have a registered disabled mother in law who DOES
manage to just use the front entrance..she can manage the 4" step..
...I don;t have a problem with the right permanent solution that
passes the specs..just looking for the best one.

Not permanent, but how about a few sections of that "portable road" the
army use for crossing boggy terrain?

It would conform to the 'reasonable' part of the act.

Dave

prog. therm. and heat pump questions Abby Normal Home Repair 119 December 22nd 05 12:38 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Typical/average floor area to ground area ration for a house? [email protected] UK diy 6 September 22nd 04 03:29 PM
Water Softener for combi in very hard water area much_to_do UK diy 63 April 16th 04 12:51 PM
Pinging: All Wreckers regarding nutcase posting as me, Bay Area Dave. Puff Griffis Woodworking 40 March 13th 04 02:01 AM