Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any suggestions for a doorstep please?

Need to replace a concrete door step which is cracked, but otherwise
has a very smooth finish, ie like a very good grey kerb stone or paving
slab. I'm uncertain that I could get a finish anywhere near as good as
the old one if I cast one myself in concrete. Door opening between
bricks is 930mm almost any height is OK.

Alternatives seem to be:

- Buy a stone step either new or reclaimed from a terrace house front
door step. How feasible is this?

- Buy a ready cast concrete block. Most paving & similar products with
a suitable finish seem to be only 900mm wide maximum. Any suggestions
please?

- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
ironer wrote:
- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

You could always tile it? Real marble tiles look good for a doorstep. ;-)

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ironer wrote:
Need to replace a concrete door step which is cracked, but otherwise
has a very smooth finish, ie like a very good grey kerb stone or paving
slab. I'm uncertain that I could get a finish anywhere near as good as
the old one if I cast one myself in concrete. Door opening between
bricks is 930mm almost any height is OK.

Alternatives seem to be:

- Buy a stone step either new or reclaimed from a terrace house front
door step. How feasible is this?

What I do is cast the body or use bricks and top with some Indian
sandstone..its pretty cheap really a tons nicer than concrete..

- Buy a ready cast concrete block. Most paving & similar products with
a suitable finish seem to be only 900mm wide maximum. Any suggestions
please?

- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

Yes. Polish it as it dries out with a float.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

Yes. Polish it as it dries out with a float.

Doesn't this become a death trap when wet? Same with the marble?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message

- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

Yes. Polish it as it dries out with a float.

Doesn't this become a death trap when wet? Same with the marble?

============================
I think people are talking at cross purposes here.

The OP said, "........ but otherwise has a very smooth finish, ie like a very
good grey kerb stone or paving slab."

Kerb stones and paving slabs don't usually have a 'polished' finish, so one way
to achieve a finish similar to a paving slab would be to smooth the surface with
a wooden float when all surface water has disappeared.

Cic.

It has removed 348 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

Yes. Polish it as it dries out with a float.

Doesn't this become a death trap when wet? Same with the marble?

These days you'd seal marble which improves the anti-slip properties. But
I don't think it's a problem on the average door step.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

You could always tile it? Real marble tiles look good for a doorstep. ;-)

They always remind me of the old mining villages in the Rhondda.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

Yes. Polish it as it dries out with a float.

Doesn't this become a death trap when wet? Same with the marble?

Concrete sis a bit porous, so nit a s bad, but yes, ...put a slope on it
to avoid it getting puddles, and sand n it when it looks frosty?