Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any suggestions for a doorstep please?

ironer wrote:
Need to replace a concrete door step which is cracked, but otherwise
has a very smooth finish, ie like a very good grey kerb stone or paving
slab. I'm uncertain that I could get a finish anywhere near as good as
the old one if I cast one myself in concrete. Door opening between
bricks is 930mm almost any height is OK.

Alternatives seem to be:

- Buy a stone step either new or reclaimed from a terrace house front
door step. How feasible is this?

What I do is cast the body or use bricks and top with some Indian
sandstone..its pretty cheap really a tons nicer than concrete..

- Buy a ready cast concrete block. Most paving & similar products with
a suitable finish seem to be only 900mm wide maximum. Any suggestions
please?

- Find out what the trick is in getting a high grade finsih to
concrete. Anyone know?

Yes. Polish it as it dries out with a float.

TIA