Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default halving joint chisel:which way up?

Hi, I teach in a secondary school, when I was a pupil, and when I was
at teacher training the waste wood from a cross-halving would be
removed with a bevel edged chisel flat side up; making a small "hill",
the chisel would only be turned flat side down for the final paring. A
new guy fresh from collage has arrived this week and upset the cart.
His college said flat side down, all the time.
The reason I was given was to stop the chisel digging in beyond the
line, which has happened when students put the flat side down.
Whats your thoughts? An up or down answer is enough.

ta Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I teach in a secondary school, when I was a pupil, and when I was
at teacher training the waste wood from a cross-halving would be
removed with a bevel edged chisel flat side up; making a small "hill",
the chisel would only be turned flat side down for the final paring. A
new guy fresh from collage has arrived this week and upset the cart.
His college said flat side down, all the time.
The reason I was given was to stop the chisel digging in beyond the
line, which has happened when students put the flat side down.
Whats your thoughts? An up or down answer is enough.

ta Roy

FWIW I gently deepen the scribed marking lines first, with the bevel towards
the waste, then complete the job with your method.

I was taught woodwork in the sixties if that helps.

regards

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
Hi, I teach in a secondary school, when I was a pupil, and when I was
at teacher training the waste wood from a cross-halving would be
removed with a bevel edged chisel flat side up; making a small "hill",
the chisel would only be turned flat side down for the final paring. A
new guy fresh from collage has arrived this week and upset the cart.
His college said flat side down, all the time.
The reason I was given was to stop the chisel digging in beyond the
line, which has happened when students put the flat side down.
Whats your thoughts? An up or down answer is enough.

ta Roy

Flat side down, and the final phase chiseled level with bevel facing down.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I teach in a secondary school, when I was a pupil, and when I was
at teacher training the waste wood from a cross-halving would be
removed with a bevel edged chisel flat side up; making a small "hill",
the chisel would only be turned flat side down for the final paring. A
new guy fresh from collage has arrived this week and upset the cart.
His college said flat side down, all the time.
The reason I was given was to stop the chisel digging in beyond the
line, which has happened when students put the flat side down.
Whats your thoughts? An up or down answer is enough.

ta Roy

I would imagine that whatever works for you is good. However, I was taught
50 years ago to keep the bevel edge upwards and this works for me after
many thousands of joints. I refer to the bevel edge of the chisel and not a
bevel edge, as opposed to firmer, chisel.
In not so very short, mark the joint, cut the shoulders with tenon and
remove waste with sharp chisel FLAT side down.
hth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
"misterroy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I teach in a secondary school, when I was a pupil, and when I was
at teacher training the waste wood from a cross-halving would be
removed with a bevel edged chisel flat side up; making a small
"hill", the chisel would only be turned flat side down for the final
paring. A new guy fresh from collage has arrived this week and upset
the cart. His college said flat side down, all the time.
The reason I was given was to stop the chisel digging in beyond the
line, which has happened when students put the flat side down.
Whats your thoughts? An up or down answer is enough.

ta Roy

FWIW I gently deepen the scribed marking lines first, with the bevel
towards the waste, then complete the job with your method.

I was taught woodwork in the sixties if that helps.

regards

Bob

But the scribed lines where only a guide as to where to cut with a tenon
saw on both sides of the joint and then the excess chisled out.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

......guy fresh from collage has a....

CollEge dear boy, C..O..L..L..E..G..E! OBVIOUSLY NOT AN ENGLISH
TEACHER.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grumpy owd man" wrote in message
news:e456549c77def39a6e272ad43f85c013.115311@mygat e.mailgate.org...
.....guy fresh from collage has a....

CollEge dear boy, C..O..L..L..E..G..E! OBVIOUSLY NOT AN ENGLISH
TEACHER.

Dear boy,

wtf do you refer to?
Certainly not me. I am well aware of the Queens English; also the correct
spelling and enunciation of college, collage and university.
Now, please be a good chap and **** off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "misterroy" contains these words:

An up or down answer is enough.

Whatever works, according to taste, which in my case is flat against the wood.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumpy owd man wrote:
.....guy fresh from collage has a....

CollEge dear boy, C..O..L..L..E..G..E! OBVIOUSLY NOT AN ENGLISH
TEACHER.

And its *Cannibalise* not Canibalise.

Practice what you preach Grumps, I'm allowed to mispell as I'm partially
illiterate,however there are some instances where I know a word looks wrong
when its mispelt.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I know a word looks wrong when its mispelt.

Not in this case...

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW