Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default D'ja ever REALLY study a nice piece of furniture? - Leg/Apron/Top Joint

(illustration posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking)

Started this thread earlier - prompted by examining a triple
mitered joint on a nice piece of Chinese furniture I inherited.
I'm fascinated by interesting joinery and am putting together
a collection of them and methods of making them.

This is a classic Chinese joint - combining and integrating
mutiple functions of three joints
- leg to front apron
- leg to side apron
- leg and apron to the top
AND having none of the joinery show on the outside of the
piece.

I'm becoming more and more aware of how different the
Chinese approach to joinery is, relative to the "western"
approach - specifically the A&C approach. The Chinese
start with the entire finished piece and, when ever possible,
integrate multiple functions in their joinery. In A&C design,
it seems each joint is seen in isolation - this piece needs to
be connected to that piece right here - will worry about the
next joint after this one's figured out.

The actual joint, and its many variations, are a bit more
complicated than this example but you've got to start
somewhere - and hopefully refine from there. Anyway,
this is the method I'm going to be practicing - starting
with the layout and cutting sequence. When, or if, I make
one I'm satisfied with I'll work on refinements - more likely
I'll go on to the next joint in this one piece of furniture.

Comments, suggestions, constructive criticism are
welcomed.

And if you've studied a joint, figured out how to make it
and are inclined to share/show off - PLEASE DO!

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 14:45:35 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

I'm becoming more and more aware of how different the
Chinese approach to joinery is, relative to the "western"
approach - specifically the A&C approach. The Chinese
start with the entire finished piece and, when ever possible,
integrate multiple functions in their joinery. In A&C design,
it seems each joint is seen in isolation - this piece needs to
be connected to that piece right here - will worry about the
next joint after this one's figured out.

I thought I'd read somewhere quite some time ago that the kind of
joinery they use(d) arose from lack of good adhesives. Maybe that's
not true. Anyway, from the little time I spent looking at sketchs and
pictures of those joints, they look self supporting. That's precisely
what's needed when there's no Titebond (or hide glue) available. I
don't think either approach is wrong, it's just the way these things
developed.

In my case, I particulary like the triple miter joint they do. Very
elegant looking. The grain flows a lot better that way. That said,
if you figured out how they did it and began using it in your work, it
WILL look different. And out of place if you're making something from
traditional western furniture (A&C and Shaker for example)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

wrote:

(illustration posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking)

Started this thread earlier - prompted by examining a triple
mitered joint on a nice piece of Chinese furniture I inherited.
I'm fascinated by interesting joinery and am putting together
a collection of them and methods of making them.

This is a classic Chinese joint - combining and integrating
mutiple functions of three joints
- leg to front apron
- leg to side apron
- leg and apron to the top

Check out the Japanese Sashimono joinery they use in traditional
temple building. Amazing- though I'm afraid I haven't looked at the
Chinese stuff much.