Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

Default D'ja ever REALLY study a nice piece of furniture? - Leg/Apron/Top Joint

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 14:45:35 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

(illustration posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking)

Started this thread earlier - prompted by examining a triple
mitered joint on a nice piece of Chinese furniture I inherited.
I'm fascinated by interesting joinery and am putting together
a collection of them and methods of making them.

This is a classic Chinese joint - combining and integrating
mutiple functions of three joints
- leg to front apron
- leg to side apron
- leg and apron to the top

Check out the Japanese Sashimono joinery they use in traditional
temple building. Amazing- though I'm afraid I haven't looked at the
Chinese stuff much.