Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

Default Casals PN35 Diamond Core Drill

I'm sort of toying with the idea of buying one
of these, but have not heard of Casals before.

http://tinyurl.com/gpddg

It seems a very reasonable price in comparison
to others - anyone own/used one of these?

Thanks,
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RzB wrote:
I'm sort of toying with the idea of buying one
of these, but have not heard of Casals before.

http://tinyurl.com/gpddg

It seems a very reasonable price in comparison
to others - anyone own/used one of these?

Not heard of them either, but Axminster don't keep bits for items they clear
out or discontinue. I'd make sure you can get parts from somewhere else
before shelling out £150.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Not heard of them either, but Axminster don't keep bits for items they
clear out or discontinue. I'd make sure you can get parts from somewhere
else before shelling out £150.

Hmmm - Good thought.

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

I did some research and here is the feedback...

I spoke to my local power tool repairer. He sees all sorts so I trust
his view. He said Casals were a Spanish company, and have been
around for some time. He does not see them in for repair very often.
He would have no problem with servicing providing he can get the parts.
Said they were reasonable quality - not poor quality junk .

I spoke to Axminster and asked them why they were EOLing this model.
The guy was a bit vague but put it down to supply. I asked if I could get
spares and he directed me to the UK Distributor - Curtis Holt - (Toolbank).
I phoned them and they said it was a discontinued item and that anyway
they were no longer UK distributors. I ask who the new distributor was
but he didn't know... So I asked if he had an address / web site etc for
Casals head office. He asked me how good my Spanish was! Then gave
me a snail mail address in Spain that was a bit garbled...

I did some research with my old friend Google. After a bit of hunting
I managed to find the Casals web site....

http://www.casals.tv

In the contacts section there is an email address for their export
department.
So I sent them an email asking for the UK distributor. Within 5 mins I had a
response from the Export Sales Director... UK distributor is...

Casals UK Ltd
Unit 3
Emmanuael Trading Estate
Springwell Road
Leeds
Tel. +44 1132 353 737
Fax. +44 1132 438 883

I phoned them but got no reply. So I emailed the Export Director again
and asked...

Quote ===========
I am just about to purchase one of your PN35 Diamond Core Drills.
I'm a little concerned that it does not appear on your web site.
Also, both Axminster and Toolbank are discontinuing this model
here in the UK.

Has this model been discontinued? If so what was the reason?

Should I be making this purchase or do you have a replacement
model or any other advice?
UnQuote =========

Another 5 mins and in came the response...

Quote ===========
The reason is that we have transferred this same product to our Freud range,
FPN35/2VCEK, Toolbank and Axminster are having the Casals version.

The products is still available and it is a very good machine, great
results.

You can try to get in touch with Freud offices as well same address,
tel. 0870 770 4275

www.freudtooling.co.uk

UnQuote =========

So - thats the low down for anyone that wants to know...
probably no one :-)

I was actually pretty impressed with the response - so I bought one !
We shall see...

BTW - The web site www.casalspowertools.co.uk is a site that was
set up by the old distributor Toolbank.

Roy