Default How deep will this diamond core bit go ?

I've never used a diamond core before.

I will be making a hole for a washing machine waste pipe.

I need to get through the wall, I see that some of the options on hte
market have 'extensions'. Does this mean they can drill deep or just
give a better reach ?

I've been thinking its better value buying a kit, and toolstation has a
kit for £134

John Rumm

wrote:

I've never used a diamond core before.

Simple enough in concept. You need a powerful drill (750W minimum), and
it *must* have a safety clutch, because you *will* snag the bit at least
once no matter how carful you are!

(I cut a 107mm core though a cavity wall today and snagged the bit at
least three times while being very careful! Also for this sized bit my
780W Makita is a little underpowered - I hit the torque limit on it a
number of times as well even when not snagging it).

I need to get through the wall, I see that some of the options on hte
market have 'extensions'. Does this mean they can drill deep or just
give a better reach ?

Just better reach really. The depth of core you can drill in a single
action is limited to the depth of the actual core bit cylinder. To cut
deeper you need to withdraw the bit and break out some of the core
drilled so far (a pointy chisel bit on the end of the SDS does it nicely).

With a 6 to 8 inch deep core bit and the typical 8" length arbour on the
bigger diamond core bits you will have no difficulty with "normal" walls
up to 12" thick.

You can also extend the range by drilling from both sides. Stick a hole
right through the wall with a long 10mm plain masonry bit so that you
can use it to align the core centre drill.

I've been thinking its better value buying a kit, and toolstation has a
kit for £134

What order code 85987? Looks ok - the cores are a reasonable length
although not as long as some (like as shown on order code 11683)

If you only need one hole, have you thought about hiring the bit? (and
drill)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Thanks John and Ed.

From what I've ready on previous posts, this can be a dangerous if as

you say I do not use a drill with a torque limiter. I will check my
drill, but I don't think it has. It's one of those big SDS drills the
size of a fridge. Very powerful, but no torque settings. I only plan on
drilling 35mm holes, so will just be careful not to 'break my arm'
through snags.

I also know not to use hammer settings.

But to be honest, that website is exactly and I mean exactly what I
wanted. The only thing that could better that would be a video !

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:54:00 -0700, meow2222 wrote:

theyre a closed cylinder, which limits drilling depth. Once youve
drilled so far, knock the centre brickwork out with a chisel and drill
again. Keep going till you hit the earth's core.

Nope, the drill will foul the front face of the wall.

Ah... time for change of mode. It depends on the size of the core
drill. If its big enough that the drill fits in the hole, you can keep
going.

If its even bigger, you can climb into the hole and keep going. And
yes, we can assume that a longer extension lead will be needed, and
that it will need clipping to the side of the hole as you go along to
avoid breaking under its own weight. etc

NT

Thanks that's all very helpful guys.

Not sure about this chuck thing you were trying to explain further
above. If I'm having a blond moment (hold on where's the girlfriend)
let me know. But any links to products with pictures always work well.