Richard Conway

Default Installing fan from inside - diamond core drill?

Hi,

I posted here recently regarding installing an extractor fan on a wall
that was inaccesible from the outside. Somebody did reply with the idea
of drilling the hole out from the inside using a diamond core drill and
inserting a quick fix termination as listed on this page:

http://tinyurl.com/65nho

Just wondered if people would help with the following queries:

1) Has anyone used one of these vents? Do they work as they are
supposed to and is there any chance of water leaking in despite the
rubber seal?

2) What is the best idea for the diamond core drill - I know I can hire
one but there seem to be some on the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation that
can be used with a standard SDS drill - anyone got any experience of
these or would hiring one be recommend?

3) As always, any futher tips/ideas/help/advice/money greatly received.

Thanks,
Richard
Andrew McKay

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:24:41 +0100, Richard Conway
ShoobiddyDoobiddyDoopDoopDoopWah@com wrote:

2) What is the best idea for the diamond core drill - I know I can hire
one but there seem to be some on the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation that
can be used with a standard SDS drill - anyone got any experience of
these or would hiring one be recommend?

If a diamond core drill DO NOT use hammer action. If you can't turn
this hammer action off on your SDS drill don't bother trying to drill,
you will damage the core drill.

TCT core drills (cheaper, results poor by comparison) can be used with
hammer action.

3) As always, any futher tips/ideas/help/advice/money greatly received.

ebay might be worth checking for a diamond core drill. I bought my
127mm core drill for £50 as I recall. High street price is double
that.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

John Stumbles

Andrew McKay wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:24:41 +0100, Richard Conway
ShoobiddyDoobiddyDoopDoopDoopWah@com wrote:

2) What is the best idea for the diamond core drill - I know I can hire
one but there seem to be some on the likes of Screwfix/Toolstation that
can be used with a standard SDS drill - anyone got any experience of
these or would hiring one be recommend?

If a diamond core drill DO NOT use hammer action. If you can't turn
this hammer action off on your SDS drill don't bother trying to drill,
you will damage the core drill.

It's also not a lot of fun trying to drill a big hole like this with a
machine that doesn't have variable speed and/or a safety clutch -- it
tends to tie your arms in knots :-) The £45 1100W Screwfix Ferm job
(back on sale again I see) is quite good for this as it has bags of
torque and you can really push it through the hole instead of feeding it
gingerly through to avoid stalling as you do with a lesser machine. The
speed of cutting almost makes up for the 20 minutes it takes to get the
bloody chuck to latch onto the SDS shank of the drill bit :-(

ebay might be worth checking for a diamond core drill. I bought my
127mm core drill for £50 as I recall.

Oooh! nice!

High street price is double
that.

at least, though there was someone in the corgi mag advertising a set of
a (useful) range of sizes of dills + arbours in SDS and hex for
something ridiculous(ly cheap)
Andrew McKay

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:51:12 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

It's also not a lot of fun trying to drill a big hole like this with a
machine that doesn't have variable speed and/or a safety clutch -- it
tends to tie your arms in knots :-)

Yes, apologies for the ommission - I was hoping that just for once IMM
or Dr Knowlittle (or whatever he is called these days) might just
follow the advice I previously posted.....