Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yorkshire fittings

Hi there,

About a year ago I got a plumber to chase some pipes into the bathroom
wall behind the bath for a shower

--
--|
| |

Like above, but above a bath - my asci art doesn't extend much further!

I'm about to tile over the pipes and notice that that the stubs that
come out of the wall to receive the shower fitting are very much boss
eyed ... damn!

So what to do? Just heat up the elbows with a blow torch and give them a
tweak with a mole wrench to bring them into true? Chop the upright pipes
and redo it with push fits. Or - moan at the plumber and tell him to get
his ass back here and do it right. My incling is the later - but its two
years since he did the job ... well I got busy with more pressing things

Advice appreciated!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on the plumber but after two years he may not be too keen if
you have an attitude.
It's a five minute job for him so try asking him nicely and see when
he's in the area.

Adjusting a solder ring is quite simple but practice on a scrap bit of
pipe first... won't take many tries to learn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Griffiths wrote:

So what to do? Just heat up the elbows with a blow torch and give them a
tweak with a mole wrench to bring them into true? Chop the upright pipes
and redo it with push fits. Or - moan at the plumber and tell him to get
his ass back here and do it right. My incling is the later - but its two
years since he did the job ... well I got busy with more pressing things

Note that many showers are supplied with "cranked" fittings that are
designed to allow slight mismatches in position to be tuned out during
installation. So depending on what you are going to fit you may get away
with it anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.