Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flared gas line fittings - hex'd housing bottoming out before flare fitting

I was working on installing our dryer tonight (old dryer, moved to a
different residence).

I went to Orchard Supply Hardware to buy a gas line. The gas line said
it's for heaters, stoves, fireplaces, and wall heaters. The guy at the
store said it's fine for a dryer also.

So, I go to install it, and the hex portion of the fittings bottomed
out before the flared fittings sealed, meaning they didn't really seal.

Are there different types of flared fittings?

The bag says they're 3/8" Flare connection nuts.

I ended up replacing the fittings on the dryer with fittings that had a
longer thread engagement, but now will likely have to do the same at
the wall, since I realized later the valve coming out of the wall has
the same problem (which I'm not looking forward to - I don't really
want to mess with the wall pipe if I don't have to).

Are there different lengths of 3/8" male flared fittings? Is there an
adapter available?

Thanks for any tips.

-James

Posted to alt.home.repair

James:
As I recall, gas lines come in both flare and compression
coupling...you probably have a compression fitting...they will go
together(same thread) but will not be gas tight...take that line back
to OSH and get another one or go to a different hardware store...also
make sure you check for a gas leak at all connections with either soapy
water or leak check (basically the same thing)...if there are bubbles
the connection is leaking...if all else fails call a plumber...its
expensive but cheaper than your house or family.
Ron
James wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

I can't say that both flared and compression fittings have the same thread,
since I've never tried connecting them, but male flare fittings have a rounded
nose that mates with the inside of the flared tubing. Compression fittings have
a straight hole that the pipe fits INTO. The seal is achieved by the
ball-shaped ferrule that's slipped over the tubing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

I really don't want this to sound like I'm putting you down because I'm
not...but really, if your not ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE you have the right
lines/fittings and the connection is perfect, PLEASE, call your gas
supplier or a plumber for this job. The cost should be minimal and the
peace of mind you'd get well worth the cost.
It really is impossible to properly advise you without actually SEEING
what you have, if this were a water line i'd say go for it, worse case
you get your feet wet, but GAS, no way, the risk of injury or death is
just not worth saving a few bucks.

Good Luck
George