Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Potterton Suprima Boiler - Avoid or not ?

As per a previous post I'm currently getting quotes for a new boiler and HW
cylcinder.

One of the plumbers has quoted for a Potterton Suprima 50kbth boiler but a
quick search on previous posts throws up a load of bad press about these
boilers specifically about a the PCB and a lockout problem. Is this still
an issue or have Potterton 'addressed' the problem.

Anybody got anything good to say about these boilers ?

Cheers

Jim
ps Other plumber has gone for a WB Greenstar system boiler with pressurised
HW - so apples and pears so far on the quotes !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...

As per a previous post I'm currently getting quotes for a new boiler and
HW cylcinder.

One of the plumbers has quoted for a Potterton Suprima 50kbth boiler

AVOID!!!! Do you need a cylinder. High flow combis are around.

Anybody got anything good to say about these boilers ?

No, only cowboys who fit them have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:11:29 +0000, Jim wrote:

As per a previous post I'm currently getting quotes for a new boiler and HW
cylcinder.

One of the plumbers has quoted for a Potterton Suprima 50kbth boiler

Unless I've missed something[1] the Suprima is a standard efficiency
boiler so your circumstances would have to justify an exception from the
requirement to fit a high-efficiency (condensing) boiler under current
energy-efficiency regulations (Part L)

ps Other plumber has gone for a WB Greenstar system boiler with
pressurised HW - so apples and pears so far on the quotes !

I personally would go for a W-B or a Vaillant or a few others.

[1] I haven't been following Potterton's current offerings too closely,
largely due to the Suprima fiasco. I think they have some genuinely new
boilers as well as some bodged cast-iron with a secondary heat exchanger
types (neither of which is relevant to electronics reliability). ISTR they
were offering something like a 3 or 5 year warranty on some of them -
maybe to offset reservations amongst installers brought about by their
previous reputation. Put it this way: if I install a 'Crocko****e' boiler
with a 1 year warranty and it packs up after 1 year and 1 day I'm going to
have an unhappy customer on my hands. If it breaks down just outside a 3
or 5 year warranty period there's more of a chance the customer will curse
the manufacturer rather than me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Unless I've missed something[1] the Suprima is a standard efficiency
boiler so your circumstances would have to justify an exception from the
requirement to fit a high-efficiency (condensing) boiler under current
energy-efficiency regulations (Part L)

You probably know more about them than me, however they do come under the
'Potterton Condensing' section on the discountedheating

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...
As per a previous post I'm currently getting quotes for a new boiler and
HW cylcinder.

One of the plumbers has quoted for a Potterton Suprima 50kbth boiler but a
quick search on previous posts throws up a load of bad press about these
boilers specifically about a the PCB and a lockout problem. Is this still
an issue or have Potterton 'addressed' the problem.

Anybody got anything good to say about these boilers ?

Cheers

Jim
ps Other plumber has gone for a WB Greenstar system boiler with
pressurised HW - so apples and pears so far on the quotes !

Avoid the Suprima! Had a quote of £1600 to fit one of these, i asked how
long it would take to swap the old with the new one, and was told a days
work. Looked on web, found the problems with Suprimas, bought a Worcester
12ri instead, got a plumber mate to fit it for £200...total cost £800! Now
i have a better boiler and have £800 still in my bank account!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R.P.McMurphy wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
. uk...

As per a previous post I'm currently getting quotes for a new boiler and
HW cylcinder.

One of the plumbers has quoted for a Potterton Suprima 50kbth boiler but a
quick search on previous posts throws up a load of bad press about these
boilers specifically about a the PCB and a lockout problem. Is this still
an issue or have Potterton 'addressed' the problem.

Have a P Suprima 80 :-(

Total pile of steaming .....

PCB lock-up fault struck about 18 months ago. Rang Potterton to discuss
the well documented problems and was met by blank incredulity that there
could be any faults with such a wonderful etc. Re-soldered all the PCB
connections which cured the fault.

About 8 months ago the heat exchanger started leaking. Obtained
replacement after a great deal of trouble from Plumb Center.

About 1 month after that the lockout problem struck again, but
premanently. Obtained p-ex PCB (and a lot of helpful advice) from CET
(thanks be to God).

Touch wood it's been OK since then.

So, you takes yer choice!

Whilst I was getting the heat exchanger bits my local Plumb Center told
me that Potterton had supplied new PCBs for all their in-stock Suprimas.
about a year ago. Ponder on that thought. There are, IIRC from my
conversation with CET, two versions of the control PCB

HTH

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Thanks for the info Richard,

Based on the feedback here, I'm definitely going to avoid the Potterton.
I'll be giving the job to the other plumber, although his quote is a
£1000 more expensive (gulp), I think his proposed system will suit us
better.

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
writes
R.P.McMurphy wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
o.uk...

As per a previous post I'm currently getting quotes for a new boiler
and HW cylcinder.

One of the plumbers has quoted for a Potterton Suprima 50kbth boiler

But it's not a condensing boiler - can he justify it ?

About 1 month after that the lockout problem struck again, but
premanently. Obtained p-ex PCB (and a lot of helpful advice) from CET
(thanks be to God).

Touch wood it's been OK since then.

I should hope so too ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a Potterton Suprima, which functioned fine for three years.

Earlier this year, it started cutting out and needing to be reset rather
frequently.

My normal plumber could not find any fault, but suggested I contact
Potterton, so their engineers could have a look.

Potterton would not service anything unless I took out a policy with
Domestic and General, which I did with some resentment.

The boiler continued to cut out.

The engineer visited twice, repositioning the heat sensor probe on his
second visit.

The boiler still cut out.

Another engineer visited and decided to replace the printed circuit
board. This had to be ordered and could not be replaced on the date he
initially planned to do this as it took over a week to arrive.

The circuit board was replaced today.

Time will tell if the boiler continues to cut out...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
I have a Potterton Suprima, which functioned fine for three years.
Earlier this year, it started cutting out and needing to be reset rather
frequently.
My normal plumber could not find any fault, but suggested I contact
Potterton, so their engineers could have a look.
Potterton would not service anything unless I took out a policy with
Domestic and General, which I did with some resentment.
The engineer visited twice, repositioning the heat sensor probe on his
second visit.
The boiler still cut out.
Another engineer visited and decided to replace the printed circuit
board. This had to be ordered and could not be replaced on the date he
initially planned to do this as it took over a week to arrive.
The circuit board was replaced today.
Time will tell if the boiler continues to cut out...

You should have been paying attention then ...

you could have sorted it ages ago and much more cheaply

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden typed

You should have been paying attention then ...

you could have sorted it ages ago and much more cheaply

Given that I can't even get to the reset button, I'd like you to tell me
how...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
raden typed

You should have been paying attention then ...

you could have sorted it ages ago and much more cheaply

Given that I can't even get to the reset button, I'd like you to tell me
how...

I thought that everybody in uk.d-i-y knew that I repaired them

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:06:08 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Richard
writes
R.P.McMurphy wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
. co.uk...

As per a previous post I'm currently getting quotes for a new boiler
and HW cylcinder.

One of the plumbers has quoted for a Potterton Suprima 50kbth boiler

But it's not a condensing boiler - can he justify it ?

He's probably talking about a Potty Suprima HE

This boiler is a rework of the old non condensing version.
The infamous electrics have been sent to the bottom of the cabinet to make
room for an add-on main heat exchanger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought that everybody in uk.d-i-y knew that I repaired them

--
geoff

Hi Geoff,

Mine still OK after ? 4 years - I was told though only last week that the
new / current ones are sorted now...
so I was wondering what your reply to that might be ?

Actually, I am also looking for a new (approx 80,000 BTU boiler) and
wondered if you could say which
would need little attention from you ( which I know is counter productive
for you but I do have others that need
your good service )

Thanks,

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick writes

I thought that everybody in uk.d-i-y knew that I repaired them

--
geoff

Hi Geoff,

Mine still OK after ? 4 years - I was told though only last week that the
new / current ones are sorted now...
so I was wondering what your reply to that might be ?

Well, the feedback I'm getting is that the new (honeywell) pcbs are not
significantly better than the old ones (they are only just starting to
come out of warranty)

I've only seen a few and have only recently built a test set for them,
so I don't have sufficient data on which to base an opinion

Actually, I am also looking for a new (approx 80,000 BTU boiler) and
wondered if you could say which
would need little attention from you ( which I know is counter productive
for you but I do have others that need
your good service )

I can only go by what fitters tell me, but most seem to recommend
Worcester or Vaillant, although I'm now beginning to see a fair number
of pcbs from both, and fans from Worcester

But then, there seem to be a lot of both fitted recently

That's as much as I can say really, I have no problem with giving advice
which cuts me out of the loop (so to speak), my business comes
overwhelmingly from bigger companies

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually, I am also looking for a new (approx 80,000 BTU boiler) and
wondered if you could say which
would need little attention from you ( which I know is counter productive
for you but I do have others that need
your good service )

I can only go by what fitters tell me, but most seem to recommend
Worcester or Vaillant, although I'm now beginning to see a fair number of
pcbs from both, and fans from Worcester

But then, there seem to be a lot of both fitted recently

That's as much as I can say really, I have no problem with giving advice
which cuts me out of the loop (so to speak), my business comes
overwhelmingly from bigger companies

--
geoff

OK - thanks for the info - it all seems to be a never ending circle of
change...
My now some 12 year old Suprima 80 with one of your boards in, has been
fine ever since, but I am sure there are those who will reckon they are one
of
the worst ever made..

I'll possibly end up with one of the common / popular models so spares are
plentiful
and you will have worked out how to repair them, if when the time comes..

Thanks,

Nick