John Edgar

Default Potterton Suprima 80 boiler

We had one of the above mentioned fitted in June 2000. Almost
immediately and quite regularly, it has "locked out." I have found that
by turning down the water temperature on the boiler, it behaves rather
better, but sometimes in the winter we need a boiler temperature more
than 65 C.

My plumber now informs me that it is a PCB fault with this type of
boiler of that period and that Potterton have now rectified this fault.
He says that he has had to deal with this problem on a regular basis.
Apparantly it was a design or manufacturing problem with the first PCBs
for this boiler. He also tells me that it will cost about =A3250 to
replace this faulty PCB.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of this problem? If it is the case
that it was a faulty batch of PCBs then I will take it up with
Potterton / Baxi.

Any thoughts or comments most welcome

TIA John.

tony sayer

In article .com, John
Edgar writes
We had one of the above mentioned fitted in June 2000. Almost
immediately and quite regularly, it has "locked out." I have found that
by turning down the water temperature on the boiler, it behaves rather
better, but sometimes in the winter we need a boiler temperature more
than 65 C.

My plumber now informs me that it is a PCB fault with this type of
boiler of that period and that Potterton have now rectified this fault.
He says that he has had to deal with this problem on a regular basis.
Apparantly it was a design or manufacturing problem with the first PCBs
for this boiler. He also tells me that it will cost about £250 to
replace this faulty PCB.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of this problem? If it is the case
that it was a faulty batch of PCBs then I will take it up with
Potterton / Baxi.

Any thoughts or comments most welcome

TIA John.

Wossisname will be along to give the web addy of replacement board as
soon as.. other than that welcome to the wonderful world of a contender
for the worst boiler in the world contest.

Bl**dy things a heap of cack, and the PCB is loved by plumbers the
country over for the simple job of replacing the board and the profit to
be made!.

I have heard that the MK2 PCB isn't that much better then the MK1, you
can take it up with the wallys who made this pile of doo, but I don't
think anyone's got anywhere with them ..
--
Tony Sayer

nick smith

Cue Geoff.............. or Raden .........

I had mine replaced a couple of years back and all has been well
since...........

I think it cost me about £40 exchange and it only takes about 10 mins to
exchange...

So I would do it for £200 plus any travel expenses...... :-))

but then others might consider me incompetent and insist on a CORGI person
doing it, cos they are registered and therefore competent and allowed to charge
what they want.......

unless you know differently ??????

(Let the Flaming begin....))

Nick

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:44:05 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article .com, John
Edgar writes
[...]

Nah, it'd only be a runner up to the Poxi-Batterton Barcelona. If this
boiler had a very reliable PCB and a lowish price tag then it could even
gain respect. The design would be 10-20 years behind the state of the art
but (apart from the PCB) as a boiler of that ilk it's OK.

Bl**dy things a heap of cack, and the PCB is loved by plumbers the
country over for the simple job of replacing the board and the profit to
be made!.

I have heard that the MK2 PCB isn't that much better then the MK1, you
can take it up with the wallys who made this pile of doo, but I don't
think anyone's got anywhere with them ..

I was going to say that £250 quid was a bit steep till I looked up the
cost of the PCBs (well over £150 and over £200 from some places).
Law of supply and demand (demand in this case!).

raden will be along to tell you how you can go to him for well under £75
_exchange_.

raden

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article .com, John
Edgar writes
[...]

I think you mean the Mk3...

the first was the 407750, followed by the 5102160, and now there's the
new Honeywell completely redesigned board. I have one, but am unlikely
to start seeing them coming through on a regular basis for a while as
they are all still in warranty

From what I hear from various fitters, they follow in the best tradition
of Suprima boards - i.e. a pile of dogs doos

--
geoff

raden

In message .com, John
Edgar writes
We had one of the above mentioned fitted in June 2000. Almost
immediately and quite regularly, it has "locked out." I have found that
by turning down the water temperature on the boiler, it behaves rather
better, but sometimes in the winter we need a boiler temperature more
than 65 C.

My plumber now informs me that it is a PCB fault with this type of
boiler of that period and that Potterton have now rectified this fault.
He says that he has had to deal with this problem on a regular basis.
Apparantly it was a design or manufacturing problem with the first PCBs
for this boiler. He also tells me that it will cost about £250 to
replace this faulty PCB.

I think that they currently cost about £190 + VAT

Does anyone else have any knowledge of this problem?

Yes, intimately

If it is the case
that it was a faulty batch of PCBs

Yes, from the first to the last IMO

then I will take it up with
Potterton / Baxi.

You're wasting your time

really

Any thoughts or comments most welcome

You could always look at my website

www.cetltd.com

--
geoff

Potterton Suprima 60 fault Paul UK diy 20 July 19th 05 02:02 AM
Potterton Suprima 80 "Lockout" David Longley UK diy 25 April 26th 05 11:49 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Problem with Potterton Netaheat Electronic boiler -- clicks madly and refuses to start Ian Chapman UK diy 8 December 7th 04 12:10 AM
CH boiler - making droning noise - Potterton Suprima 60 Eric the Red UK diy 2 September 29th 03 03:01 PM