Junior Member

Unhappy potterton M11F boiler

The boiler has suddenly stopped heating the radiators but is still heating the hot water.

I found a DIY site and carried out the following:- Checking the header tank first in the loft I found that a family of mice that I had recently heard and poisoned had drowned. I emptied the tank, cleaned it and refilled with water. Thinking that a dead mouse may have entered to outlet pipe and blocked it I then emptied all radiators, refilled and bled them. So I knew that all rads and the headed tank were full.

I disconnected the power and gas to the boiler, removed the front cover and cleaned it inside thourougly but could see nothing obviously wrong. I then repaced the cover and turned the boiler thermostat to off. switched the power on, reset the timer and set it to Auto / 24hrs. I then turned the boiler thermostat on and it fired up. After a short time I switched the hot water to off in hope that the central heating would remain on but the boiler shut down. I swithced the hot water back to auto and the boiler fired up again.

I have another single thermostat that I am about to disconnect for a trial but I do not feel that this will change anything. My installation manual says that all the parts that have a shelf life are easy to replace but I do not know what.

Would like to hear for anyone who can help as I hate being ripped of by so called experts.

Full of Hope
Coherers

Don't know this boiler model. However, does the pump for the central heating
run?

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:03:52 +0000, hopefull wrote:

[...]

You've done some things that won't harm and may help.
In the Main FAQ you will find out about what sort of system you have and
where the problem may lie.

Most likely this system has a zone valve, diverter valve or a heating only
pump and one of those has failed.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk