Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water butt hydrodynamics

On 2006-07-29 10:21:36 +0100, Guy King said:

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Well, I wish I COULD make a computer!

They're dead easy to put together from readily available bits - and
plenty of websites and magazine articles available to show you how. In
most cases it's little more then Lego.

up until the point where Microsoft products are involved, at least.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

They're dead easy to put together from readily available bits - and
plenty of websites and magazine articles available to show you how. In
most cases it's little more then Lego.

up until the point where Microsoft products are involved, at least.

I never have any trouble - put the W2Kpro disc in and away it goes.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Well, I wish I COULD make a computer!

They're dead easy to put together from readily available bits - and
plenty of websites and magazine articles available to show you how. In
most cases it's little more then Lego.

I knew someone would say that. I suppose I meant that I can't make the bits

:-)

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

If you're collecting rain water you won't need to fill the butt* and if
the
diverter is fitted properly it won't overflow.

Amazing how many are fitted with the take-off point in the downspout
above the required level in the butt Often a foot or so above the lid!
I've even been told by one owner (my mother) that the instructions
specifically said to do this - which I find a little hard to believe.

Didn't she show you the instructions?

Ours is fitted on the downspout at the maximum level in the butt.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-29 12:39:11 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

They're dead easy to put together from readily available bits - and
plenty of websites and magazine articles available to show you how. In
most cases it's little more then Lego.

up until the point where Microsoft products are involved, at least.

I never have any trouble - put the W2Kpro disc in and away it goes.

Until you add applications, updates, hardware with drivers and a
passage of time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ours is fitted on the downspout at the maximum level in the butt.

Which is where you'd expect it to be, but she's "misplaced" the instructions.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ours is fitted on the downspout at the maximum level in the butt.

Which is where you'd expect it to be, but she's "misplaced" the
instructions.

Buy her a filing cabinet for her birthday. It's fun!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

They're dead easy to put together from readily available bits - and
plenty of websites and magazine articles available to show you how. In
most cases it's little more then Lego.

up until the point where Microsoft products are involved, at least.

I never have any trouble - put the W2Kpro disc in and away it goes.

I wouldn't consider anything but Microsoft and I've decided that when this
pc dies I'll be back here askinig questions. Well, not here, exactly, I'll
start a new thread.

Watch this space.

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:07:34 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

A little off topic here, I assume that you all live where the ground is
level, lucky you, I am on severely sloping land, so all buts would be at
differing levels.

As would mine have been if I hadn't made a level platform [1] for
them. ;-)

Putting stands under to get them at the same level
would not be practical, what I need is a diverter that fits small
piping, any suggestions?

I could do with one of those for the smaller gutter / down pipe I've
just fitted to the lean-to. Either that or I'll just fit std sized
stuff ..?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] This consists of a concrete 'panel' (cast by my late father-in-law
over 40 years ago as drop-in-side-panels for the garage he built. The
garage was destroyed by a lorry straying off a local roundabout and I
inherited the undamaged panels. The main body of which currently
'pave' our front 'garden' and one of the few spares now makes a plinth
for the 3 butts ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jul 2006 02:08:53 -0700, wrote:

T i m wrote:
On 28 Jul 2006 12:01:13 -0700,
wrote:

First time I've ever seen anyone ask about the hydrodynamics of their
butt.

Hey, there's a first time for everything ;-)

No sht

I would have thought that low coupling enabling all the water to be
accessible was mostly a positive thing. High coupling means manually
changing from butt to butt any time you want to use whats there. Given
that low coupling solves the fill problem I'd go with that.

I fully agree, other than for the (small) risk of a total loss of
water with a fault / failure (I have already had one brand new tap
leak a bucket full / day).

I dont know what level your divertor will fill to, but if its anything
less than brim full, dropping the other 2 butts slightly would make
them truly full, thus capture more water.

I believe, as per the fitting instructions, some 30mm above the center
of the inlet fitting.

Staggering sounds like a good
idea to me for that reason. And if you'd drunk 3 buttfulls you'd be
staggering! I'd just have 1 butt first and see how high it fills.

Now I have fitted the diverter, first and second butts I am slightly
restricted re height adjustment (and it's all on an existing concrete
base). I 'can' stagger them by say 3mm per butt (so the first will be
6mm higher than the last) but again that will reduce the 'fall' on the
hose tween diverter and first butt?

Bung a few leaves in a fine mesh washbag into butt 1 (on a hook so you
can lift it out) and you've got dilute plant food.

Any particular leaves? (I have bindweed, cucumber, broad bean,
bindweed, runner bean, dwarf bean, bindweed, tumbler toms, std toms
and dandelion (did I mention bindweed?) to choose from atm g) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

I never have any trouble - put the W2Kpro disc in and away it goes.

Until you add applications, updates, hardware with drivers and a
passage of time.

This installation has been stable for the last (nearly) three years.
When needed for long downloads it's been up for several days at a time
without problems. Something I'd not even have tried with W98. I gather
XP can be rather more troublesome - at least the installations of it
I've met have been.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ours is fitted on the downspout at the maximum level in the butt.

Which is where you'd expect it to be, but she's "misplaced" the
instructions.

Buy her a filing cabinet for her birthday. It's fun!

Oh, she has one - she only loses things when it's convenient.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:58:23 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

As seen on any buckets of water that are left about .. ;-( Luckily
these butts come with lids that take yer nails off when you try to
remove them. ;-)

You won't need to remove the lids!

You are right?

Well - why should you need to remover the lids?

Erm, to fit the fittings ... to check the level ... ?

Fit the fittings before putting on the lid.

They come with the lids fitted and the fittings inside (get out of
that one)! ;-)

Why do you need to check the level - except from curiosity?

You probably wouldn't ?

If you're collecting rain water you won't need to fill the butt* and if the
diverter is fitted properly it won't overflow.

Did I mention worrying about that?

* our lids have openings on the top to drain rainwater which falls on the
lids!

My lids are domed so can't collect water ..(that's what the butts are
for)?

Don't worry about your pretty little nails, you won't damage your extensions
or lacquer :-)

On these lids I might?

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:59:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:06:04 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

There are times when d-i-y isn't better or cheaper ;-)

More satisfying though.

Always?

I think so, if it can be done.

Well anything 'can' be done, it's more a matter of it not being
convenient for all of us to do so. Like I can make pastry from the
ingredients but can't (easily) make / grow / breed the ingredients?

I can't make a computer so I buy one, for
instance :-)

I have always made my PC's (from components). 1) because I can and 2)
because it used to be cheaper and 3) I can get exactly what I want and
4) I can fix / upgrade it without upsetting any small print.

Now days the nearest I generally get to 'building' is re-cycling (like
turning a 1978 MkII Escort into what looks like a Suzy Jeep) or
salvaging / recovering / repairing / restoring something considered
'dead' or unwanted by others.

Before I could afford to buy electronic 'kit' I would design or
construct (from kits) my own. In most cases these days I couldn't
afford the cost of the components (assuming I could find them in the
first place) let alone the time to build (more the casing rather than
the PCB) and wouldn't always be content with the final result /
performance (compared with commercially designed / built kit) if I
did.

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I have always made my PC's (from components). 1) because I can and 2)
because it used to be cheaper and 3) I can get exactly what I want and
4) I can fix / upgrade it without upsetting any small print.

And anyway, there's usually several bits in the junkpile to get you started.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:42:38 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I have always made my PC's (from components). 1) because I can and 2)
because it used to be cheaper and 3) I can get exactly what I want and
4) I can fix / upgrade it without upsetting any small print.

And anyway, there's usually several bits in the junkpile to get you started.

Yeah, it's funny that .. you find a nice video card and build a PC
round it ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from T i m contains these words:

Yeah, it's funny that .. you find a nice video card and build a PC
round it ;-)

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard
that came with my first 286 machine.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:23:21 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

Yeah, it's funny that .. you find a nice video card and build a PC
round it ;-)

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard
that came with my first 286 machine.

PS2 plug (some 286's did)?

I found the bill for my first decent HDD the other day 80Mb, Seagate
SCSI, half height, 3-1/2" .. 350 quid (then)!

Put a 250G drive in my Daughters PC the other day (teach me to put a
2G CF card in her 12Mp camera) for 54 quid .. (the cost of the drive,
not my charge for fitting it) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard
that came with my first 286 machine.

PS2 plug (some 286's did)?

No, DIN-5 but it wasn't that which killed it off. Several of the switch
units had died, and though I swapped them round for keys I never use
eventually it all got the better of me.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King
saying something like:

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard
that came with my first 286 machine.

I'm still using the clacky IBM keyboard that came with my first 286.
Utterly bulletproof.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-29 19:06:46 +0100, Guy King said:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

I never have any trouble - put the W2Kpro disc in and away it goes.

Until you add applications, updates, hardware with drivers and a
passage of time.

This installation has been stable for the last (nearly) three years.
When needed for long downloads it's been up for several days at a time
without problems. Something I'd not even have tried with W98. I gather
XP can be rather more troublesome - at least the installations of it
I've met have been.

Several *DAYS*???

That's appalling.

Two of my Linux machines are into their third year of running without
rebooting. My MacBook Pro has been up for three weeks without reboot
- just sleep and wake.

I suppose that Microsoft has managed to fool people that a few days
without reboot is good. XP machines can just about manage that. With
Win9x forget it, because it's a disk monitor, not an operating system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ours is fitted on the downspout at the maximum level in the butt.

Which is where you'd expect it to be, but she's "misplaced" the
instructions.

Buy her a filing cabinet for her birthday. It's fun!

Oh, she has one - she only loses things when it's convenient.

Ah!

I sometimes have selective deafness :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As seen on any buckets of water that are left about .. ;-( Luckily
these butts come with lids that take yer nails off when you try to
remove them. ;-)

You won't need to remove the lids!

You are right?

Well - why should you need to remover the lids?

Erm, to fit the fittings ... to check the level ... ?

Fit the fittings before putting on the lid.

They come with the lids fitted and the fittings inside (get out of
that one)! ;-)

You mentioned fitting fittings ...

Why do you need to check the level - except from curiosity?

You probably wouldn't ?

Are you hitting the query key instead of the period ? :-)

If you're collecting rain water you won't need to fill the butt* and if
the
diverter is fitted properly it won't overflow.

Did I mention worrying about that?

You mentioned back pressure and checking the level. I was trying to reassure
you :-)

* our lids have openings on the top to drain rainwater which falls on the
lids!

My lids are domed so can't collect water ..(that's what the butts are
for)?

If they are dished with slots it's an extra source of water - the rain
falling on the lids drains into the butt instead of to the ground. It's
sensible design, I think.

Don't worry about your pretty little nails, you won't damage your
extensions
or lacquer :-)

On these lids I might?

Only if you try to remove the lids and you seem to agree that there's no
reason for that :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

I never have any trouble - put the W2Kpro disc in and away it goes.

Until you add applications, updates, hardware with drivers and a
passage of time.

This installation has been stable for the last (nearly) three years.
When needed for long downloads it's been up for several days at a time
without problems. Something I'd not even have tried with W98. I gather
XP can be rather more troublesome - at least the installations of it
I've met have been.

Mine has XP, it's been 100% stable - but I didn't build it. Nor did I buy
the machine as a stock item. It was made (by a company which custom builds
for industry) to accommodate my needs.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

There are times when d-i-y isn't better or cheaper ;-)

More satisfying though.

Always?

I think so, if it can be done.

Well anything 'can' be done, it's more a matter of it not being
convenient for all of us to do so. Like I can make pastry from the
ingredients but can't (easily) make / grow / breed the ingredients?

I take your point. But isn't making the pastry yourself better and more
satisfying (no idea about 'cheapness') than buying it?

I can't make a computer so I buy one, for
instance :-)

I have always made my PC's (from components). 1) because I can and 2)
because it used to be cheaper and 3) I can get exactly what I want and
4) I can fix / upgrade it without upsetting any small print.

I've not had to fix or upgrade mine.

Now days the nearest I generally get to 'building' is re-cycling (like
turning a 1978 MkII Escort into what looks like a Suzy Jeep) or
salvaging / recovering / repairing / restoring something considered
'dead' or unwanted by others.

And that's very satisfying, I think.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

Yeah, it's funny that .. you find a nice video card and build a PC
round it ;-)

I have a pair of sails. I'm still waiting for him to build the attachment

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King
saying something like:

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard
that came with my first 286 machine.

I'm still using the clacky IBM keyboard that came with my first 286.
Utterly bulletproof.

Must be convenient that - being able to use it for target practice :-)

Mary
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

Any particular leaves? (I have bindweed, cucumber, broad bean,
bindweed, runner bean, dwarf bean, bindweed, tumbler toms, std toms
and dandelion (did I mention bindweed?) to choose from atm g) ;-)

Nettles, apparently, have pest-dealing as well as nutritional qualities.

I have a separate butt for them but can't say I've noticed any difference in
performance. I wouldn't put stuff in a roof-water butt.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:13:13 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Well - why should you need to remover the lids?

Erm, to fit the fittings ... to check the level ... ?

Fit the fittings before putting on the lid.

They come with the lids fitted and the fittings inside (get out of
that one)! ;-)

You mentioned fitting fittings ...

So, I have to remove the lid to get the tap out and fit it. I might
put the lid back on while I'm waiting to get round to getting the
drill / tank cutter out then need to take the lid back off when I do.
I would then take the lid off again after it's rained to see how full
it is and again a couple more times to check how full it gets. Then I
would take the lid off again to drill the outlet hole when I locate a
coupling kit and the lid off the second butt to fit the tap / drill /
fit the inlet fitting ....

Why do you need to check the level - except from curiosity?

You probably wouldn't ?

Are you hitting the query key instead of the period ? :-)

No, it was rhetorical. ;-)

If you're collecting rain water you won't need to fill the butt* and if
the
diverter is fitted properly it won't overflow.

Did I mention worrying about that?

You mentioned back pressure and checking the level. I was trying to reassure
you :-)

I knew it would *work* my op was to hydrodynamics engineers to test if
the extended setup would work as efficiently.

* our lids have openings on the top to drain rainwater which falls on the
lids!

My lids are domed so can't collect water ..(that's what the butts are
for)?

If they are dished with slots it's an extra source of water - the rain
falling on the lids drains into the butt instead of to the ground. It's
sensible design, I think.

And would also allow the entry of small foreign objects / insects and
allow some evaporation?

Don't worry about your pretty little nails, you won't damage your
extensions
or lacquer :-)

On these lids I might?

Only if you try to remove the lids and you seem to agree that there's no
reason for that :-)

See above .. ;-)

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:10:27 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard
that came with my first 286 machine.

PS2 plug (some 286's did)?

No, DIN-5 but it wasn't that which killed it off. Several of the switch
units had died, and though I swapped them round for keys I never use
eventually it all got the better of me.

Aww .. it's a shame when you loose an old friend ... ;-(

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:17:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Well anything 'can' be done, it's more a matter of it not being
convenient for all of us to do so. Like I can make pastry from the
ingredients but can't (easily) make / grow / breed the ingredients?

I take your point. But isn't making the pastry yourself better and more
satisfying (no idea about 'cheapness') than buying it?

Yes, mostly, but not always an option and my point, please see
above or convenient (takes more time and if you don't want to make a
hobby of getting some sustenance ... ).

I can't make a computer so I buy one, for
instance :-)

I have always made my PC's (from components). 1) because I can and 2)
because it used to be cheaper and 3) I can get exactly what I want and
4) I can fix / upgrade it without upsetting any small print.

I've not had to fix or upgrade mine.

Nor have I *had* to fix mine but I have *wanted* to upgrade it.

Now days the nearest I generally get to 'building' is re-cycling (like
turning a 1978 MkII Escort into what looks like a Suzy Jeep) or
salvaging / recovering / repairing / restoring something considered
'dead' or unwanted by others.

And that's very satisfying, I think.

"Yes, it is" Katherine Tate show

Although not necessarily at the time ... like 20 mins to fit the
engine / gearbox and two hours to fit a door handle ...

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

Well anything 'can' be done, it's more a matter of it not being
convenient for all of us to do so. Like I can make pastry from the
ingredients but can't (easily) make / grow / breed the ingredients?

I take your point. But isn't making the pastry yourself better and more
satisfying (no idea about 'cheapness') than buying it?

Yes, mostly, but not always an option and my point, please see
above or convenient (takes more time and if you don't want to make a
hobby of getting some sustenance ... ).

Oh, sustenance for us isn't a hobby. We want the best and aren't prepared to
accept anything less.

?

Although not necessarily at the time ... like 20 mins to fit the
engine / gearbox and two hours to fit a door handle ...

Hmm. You're not good at fitting door handles then ?

Never mind, next time it will be faster.

I hope you didn't damage your nails ...

My imagination's working overtime!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I've only recently parted company with the excellent Elonex keyboard
that came with my first 286 machine.

PS2 plug (some 286's did)?

No, DIN-5 but it wasn't that which killed it off. Several of the switch
units had died, and though I swapped them round for keys I never use
eventually it all got the better of me.

Aww .. it's a shame when you loose an old friend ... ;-(

T i m

Yeah, when you _loose_ an old friend;- off they gambol and run about wagging
their little tails looking at you with big eyes just begging for a stick to
be thrown .... however
I can picture the moment..Tim, standing on doorstep, gesturing outwards;
commanding the keyboard; - "Go! Make your own way in the world - You
obsolescent collation of assorted keys! I loose you!"
there again ...
to lose an old friend ... different matter... tears all round, poxy adverts
pinned to telegraph poles, notices in shops; (Some outfit on tele' claims to
insure against expenses when this happens ... "that's lucky")

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

This installation has been stable for the last (nearly) three years.
When needed for long downloads it's been up for several days at a time
without problems. Something I'd not even have tried with W98. I gather
XP can be rather more troublesome - at least the installations of it
I've met have been.

Several *DAYS*???

That's appalling.

No, it's not. Several days was as long as it was up before I finished
doing what I was doing and switched it off. It hadn't fallen over at
that point, nor would I have expected it to.

I'm not an apologist for Microsoft, but W2k is actually very stable and
falls over less often than SuSE 9.1 [1] which was my last brush with
Linux.

[1] Cue choruses of "Oh, you should have tried DebiuntuSeKnopthing" and
so on. This is where Linux currently falls down.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I sometimes have selective deafness :-)

Ah, yes, the wife had that the entire time the kids were waking at night.
"Isn't it nice when the kids sleep through the night" she would say,
breezily, each morning.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

I would then take the lid off again after it's rained to see how full
it is and again a couple more times to check how full it gets. Then I

So tee a bit of clear pipe on at the outlet and run it up the side of
the barrel. Close the top but dont make it airtight, just junk tight.
Now you've got a level display.

I knew it would *work* my op was to hydrodynamics engineers to test if
the extended setup would work as efficiently.

no, but it should be ok in practice, long as you link at bottom not
top, and drain the water from the last barrel first to avoid
stagnation. I'm not a hydrodynamics engineer.

NT