Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Why do some wacko customers f*ck up decent suppliers?

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html
------------
Outstanding Invoice 3185 from 29th July 2005 of £216.18 -

Philip Jones,
Mercia Management Limited,
Gainsborough House,
59-60 Thames Street,
Windsor,
Berkshire,
SL4 1TX.

Mobile: 07789 493530

and now

c/o 11 Aragon Court,
Shoppenhangers Road,
Maidenhead,
Berkshire,
SL6 2QA
telephone 07876 717031
email:
------------

Philp Jones should stump up if he got the goods. And knowing
Consumable cafe as the happy customer that I am, then he most
probably did get the goods.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

android mike wrote:
It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

snip

Did he get the goods?
Were they correct?
Did they work?
Were they of satisfactory quality?
Has he withheld payment for any of the above reasons?
etc...

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

It's a potentially powerful technique to publicly list debtors, I
wonder how it stands legally?

If its use was widespread on the internet it would be a very neat way
of checking out a company before doing business - much like an ebay
rating. 1 or 2 bad references are possibly just issues where both sides
believe themselves right - lots of bad references mean they probably
treat their customers as badly as their suppliers.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

android mike wrote:

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html

personal details snipped.

This is surely not legal wrt the data protection act. A company that
flaunts illegal behaviour is not one I'd be encouraged to do business
with, as one illegal act tends to go with another and another, and
implies either disregard for the law or inability to follow it. I also
would not be encouraged to do business with a company that might
possibly put my personal details online for every wacko to find if they
f-ck up and fail to figure out what went wrong, and this is something
that can and does happen.

Happy trading

NT

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
android mike wrote:

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html

personal details snipped.

This is surely not legal wrt the data protection act.

Has to be an error on the site, surely?

David

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, android mike wrote:

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html
------------
Outstanding Invoice 3185 from 29th July 2005 of £216.18 -

He seems to be listed as a product. What happens if you buy him?

tom

--
Osteoclasts = monsters from the DEEP -- Andrew
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Joe Jobs.

Except that competitors will be at each other's throats with joejobs.

Except that businesses don't tend to do business with their
competitors. This was a contract between 2 companies, one of which is
in the wrong (we don't know which). If however several suppliers
pointed at the customer - we would have a fair idea.

As far as the DPA goes - they (might) have a contractural clause
pointing out that defaulters will be made public. Remember also this is
B2B not B2Consumer.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

In ,
android mike spake thus :
| It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
| highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).
|
| On the web site it shows this:
| http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html
| ------------
| Outstanding Invoice 3185 from 29th July 2005 of £216.18 -
|
| Philip Jones,
| Mercia Management Limited,
| Gainsborough House,
| 59-60 Thames Street,
| Windsor,
| Berkshire,
| SL4 1TX.
|
| Mobile: 07789 493530
|
| and now
|
| c/o 11 Aragon Court,
| Shoppenhangers Road,
| Maidenhead,
| Berkshire,
| SL6 2QA
| telephone 07876 717031
| email:

They can't even be bothered to file annual returns and accounts :

Company Details

Name & Registered Office:
MERCIA MANAGEMENT LIMITED
PALLADIUM HOUSE
1-4 ARGYLL STREET
LONDON
W1F 7LD
Company No. 04747913

Date of Incorporation: 29/04/2003

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
7414 - Business & management consultancy
Accounting Reference Date: 30/06
Last Accounts Made Up To: 30/06/2004 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)
Next Accounts Due: 30/04/2006 OVERDUE
Last Return Made Up To: 29/04/2004
Next Return Due: 27/05/2005 OVERDUE
Last Members List: 29/04/2004

Next step is strike-off, dissolution or liquidation ....

--

-= David =-

www.splorf.net
www.backscatterers.com

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jul 2006, wrote:

android mike wrote:

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent
and highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable
Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html

personal details snipped.

This is surely not legal wrt the data protection act. A company
that flaunts illegal behaviour is not one I'd be encouraged to do
business with, as one illegal act tends to go with another and
another, and implies either disregard for the law or inability to
follow it. I also would not be encouraged to do business with a
company that might possibly put my personal details online for
every wacko to find if they f-ck up and fail to figure out what
went wrong, and this is something that can and does happen.

Happy trading

I guess that might translate as ... I don't want to do business with a
company which might reveal me for refusing to pay.

As we know, Consumable Cafe was one of the top 50 web traders in a
recent survey. Everyone I speak to thinks they are good. I also think
they are good.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote

| Philip Jones,
| Mercia Management Limited,
| Gainsborough House,
| 59-60 Thames Street,
| Windsor,
| Berkshire,
| SL4 1TX.

Funnily enough, I used to work at 59-60 Thames Street a few years back.
However, that was in the days when it was part of Lloyds Bank and then
subsequently Bradford & Bingley Building Society.

Nowadays it is one of those multi-occupancy "rent-an-office" places - need I
say more!

- Mike

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

I think the value of posting the details of non-payers is proving
itself right here - we now also know the business concerned has failed
to complete its legal obligations in relation to its accounts, and
occupies (or occupied) short-lease office space.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:46:11 +0100, Andy wrote:

I guess that might translate as ... I don't want to do business with a
company which might reveal me for refusing to pay.

It may well put honest people off, fearing a cock-up.
And in the event of such a cock-up, and wrongful accusation, damages
could well be sought, and the subsequent publicity would be very
damaging.

At first sight trying to shame non-payers seems a good idea, but it
could easily backfire.

Tiddy Ogg.
http://www.tiddyogg.co.uk
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, android mike wrote:

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html
------------
Outstanding Invoice 3185 from 29th July 2005 of £216.18 -

He seems to be listed as a product. What happens if you buy him?

It appears to be available to purchase as a bad debt, the kind of thing a
company would normally do to sell their debt to a collection agency. I've
never seen this done so publicly before though.

Surely this isn't legal?

Reece
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
android mike writes:
It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

Philp Jones should stump up if he got the goods. And knowing
Consumable cafe as the happy customer that I am, then he most
probably did get the goods.

Actually, what I suspect they are doing is offering his debt for
sale to any debt collector who want to buy it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
android mike wrote:

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html

personal details snipped.

This is surely not legal wrt the data protection act. A company that
flaunts illegal behaviour is not one I'd be encouraged to do business
with, as one illegal act tends to go with another and another, and
implies either disregard for the law or inability to follow it. I also
would not be encouraged to do business with a company that might
possibly put my personal details online for every wacko to find if they
f-ck up and fail to figure out what went wrong, and this is something
that can and does happen.

Happy trading

The line starting 'outstanding' is data that belongs to the company that
has the grudge. As for the name, address, post code and telephone
number, they are freely available in the public domain.

I can't see a problem with it.

Dave
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
On 14 Jul 2006, wrote:
android mike wrote:

[...]

no, as has already been stated and explained.

As we know, Consumable Cafe was one of the top 50 web traders in a
recent survey. Everyone I speak to thinks they are good.

I guess this thread is changing that. Its a nice idea on the surface,
but when looked at with more care its a recipe for more harm than good
- unfortunately.

NT

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
Also I doubt such clause exists, simply because it would put some
buyers off.

Quite frankly, if it puts off buyers who intend to do their best to get out
of paying you, then it's working well.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

Actually, what I suspect they are doing is offering his debt for
sale to any debt collector who want to buy it.

What is the going rate percentage wise for buying debts these days?

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

"android mike" wrote in message
********** should stump up if he got the goods. And knowing
Consumable cafe as the happy customer that I am, then he most
probably did get the goods.

However, looking at the products they sell, I would be less sure that they
worked if he did. I am in the trade and there is nothing on their site (OEM
stuff excepted) that I would carry. Every once in a while one of my trade
customers gets tempted away by the cheap end of the market and, so far,
every one has returned because of the high level of complaints they got
about the alternatives they tried.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

"milou" wrote in message
On 14 Jul 2006 02:00:58 -0700, wrote:

android mike wrote:

It's nice to see a bit of proactive publicity from an excellent and
highly recommended online shop for printer refills (Consumable Cafe).

On the web site it shows this:
http://www.consumablecafe.co.uk/acat..._Invoices.html

personal details snipped.

This is surely not legal wrt the data protection act.

snip

They are reporting another business for not paying its bill.

They are naming a person and giving business addresses for that person.

If this is illegal, how about all the consumer complaint websites?
How about all the complaints in this NG about retailers? Must be
illegal, no?

The Data Protection Act covers the processing of data about individuals. In
this case sufficient data has been published to enable an individual to be
identified, which is a clear breach of the principle that such data must be
kept secure. Companies are not individuals within the meaning of the Act, so
publishing the name and address of a company is not a breach of the Act.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

android mike wrote:

[...]

So do you think he will come forward and complain.

Posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

android mike wrote:

[...]

A complaint could be lodged by anybody who is concerned about the breach. It
does not have to be the person affected.

Colin Bignell

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:06:31 +0100, "David"
wrote:

They can't even be bothered to file annual returns and accounts :

Next step is strike-off, dissolution or liquidation ....

But after they sue the op they'll be loaded g !

Daytona

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jul 2006, wrote:

personal details snipped.

This is surely not legal wrt the data protection act. A company
that flaunts illegal behaviour is not one I'd be encouraged to
do business with, as one illegal act tends to go with another
and another, and implies either disregard for the law or
inability to follow it. I also would not be encouraged to do
business with a company that might possibly put my personal
details online for every wacko to find if they f-ck up and fail
to figure out what went wrong, and this is something that can
and does happen.

Happy trading

I guess that might translate as ... I don't want to do business
with a company which might reveal me for refusing to pay.

no, as has already been stated and explained.

You claim not but I think that that claim is more than a litle
disingenuous.

I am happy to do business with Consumable cafe, I pay my bills and I
never expect to be listed on their web site.

As we know, Consumable Cafe was one of the top 50 web traders in a
recent survey. Everyone I speak to thinks they are good.

I guess this thread is changing that. Its a nice idea on the
surface, but when looked at with more care its a recipe for more
harm than good - unfortunately.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
On 14 Jul 2006, wrote:

personal details snipped.

This is surely not legal wrt the data protection act. A company
that flaunts illegal behaviour is not one I'd be encouraged to
do business with, as one illegal act tends to go with another
and another, and implies either disregard for the law or
inability to follow it. I also would not be encouraged to do
business with a company that might possibly put my personal
details online for every wacko to find if they f-ck up and fail
to figure out what went wrong, and this is something that can
and does happen.

Happy trading

I guess that might translate as ... I don't want to do business
with a company which might reveal me for refusing to pay.

no, as has already been stated and explained.

You claim not but I think that that claim is more than a litle
disingenuous.

and I think your claim more than a little stupid. I dont mind folk
disagreeing but I dont have time for the idiot stuff.

NT

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

The biggest crooks are most smaller online merchants. Out of the last 8
items I have ordered online 7 didn't arrive on time. Most of the
merchants don't respond to emails or pick up the phone.

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.finance,uk.comp.misc,uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
writes
The biggest crooks are most smaller online merchants. Out of the last 8
items I have ordered online 7 didn't arrive on time. Most of the
merchants don't respond to emails or pick up the phone.

That's because they know it's you on the other end

--
geoff

Looking for decent 115 piece drill bit set. Chris Metalworking 14 August 13th 05 03:15 AM
Decent woodworking shop in NJ Andy Jeffries Woodworking 5 January 11th 05 12:26 AM
Decent angle grinders... Alan UK diy 6 August 12th 04 07:02 PM
Metal suppliers - Maine JMartin957 Metalworking 8 February 2nd 04 02:13 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM