Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cord or boot lace

I want some cord for tieing up plants and the ideal one is that soft
synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of. But what's it
called and where can I by it by the metre?

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jul 2006 08:34:25 -0700, "normanwisdom"
wrote:

|I want some cord for tieing up plants and the ideal one is that soft
|synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of. But what's it
|called and where can I by it by the metre?

Plants are best tied up with biodegradable stuff cotton, hemp, sisal or the
like, then it will rot and fall off when its job is done. Sold in green
bobbins at all garden centers. Synthetic stuff will not rot away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I want some cord for tieing up plants

The _best_ stuff for this is the fluffy string-like stuff
(polypropylene?) that's used to make disposable cartridges for
plumbed-in water filters. It also has just the right amount of strength
and elasticity to hold up a bush, but break if it's left for years
around a growing tree. Now that's the sort of recycling I like.

Failing that, buy some proper hemp or sisal garden twine (for much the
same reasons).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

normanwisdom wrote:
Thanks.
OK forget about the gardening: I want some cord and the ideal one is
that soft
synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of.
But what's it called and where can I by it by the metre?

cheers
Jacob

Surely if it's for boots you buy it by the foot.

Try this site
http://www.fabmania.com/google~bootlaces~index.htm

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
normanwisdom wrote:
Thanks.
OK forget about the gardening: I want some cord and the ideal one is
that soft
synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of.
But what's it called and where can I by it by the metre?

cheers
Jacob

Surely if it's for boots you buy it by the foot.

groan! who did you half inch that joke off?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "John" contains these words:

Surely if it's for boots you buy it by the foot.

Is that your sole joke? Make it last.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, John
writes

normanwisdom wrote:
Thanks.
OK forget about the gardening: I want some cord and the ideal one is
that soft
synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of.
But what's it called and where can I by it by the metre?

cheers
Jacob

Surely if it's for boots you buy it by the foot.

Was that a knee jerk response ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"normanwisdom" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks.
OK forget about the gardening: I want some cord and the ideal one is
that soft
synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of.
But what's it called and where can I by it by the metre?

You can buy it from most outward bound shops by the metre, or go to any
Army Surplus store and buy a ball of paracord ... seriously tough stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
normanwisdom wrote:
OK forget about the gardening: I want some cord and the ideal one is
that soft
synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of.
But what's it called and where can I by it by the metre?

I'd say the stuff used for corded curtain tracks is similar - a strong
stranded core covered with a soft woven outer. A decent DIY place should
have it. Won't be black, though. ;-)

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article .com,
normanwisdom wrote:
OK forget about the gardening: I want some cord and the ideal one is
that soft
synthetic stuff that walking boot laces are made of.
But what's it called and where can I by it by the metre?

I'd say the stuff used for corded curtain tracks is similar - a strong
stranded core covered with a soft woven outer. A decent DIY place should
have it. Won't be black, though. ;-)

Para cord is same sort of stuff .. but about twice the thickness ... seen it
proved that one loop will support full weight of a man.