Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need "half decent" battery charger for NiCds and NiMhs

Some time ago, I asked about replacing NiCd rechargables with NiMhs in
a cordless phone. That seems to have worked fine.

Then as a follow-up I admitted bewilderment on the topic of care and
maintenance of rechargables.

Dave Plowman replied: quoteA half decent charger should cut out after
the battery is charged or go to a maintenance charge - but don't expect
this with a cheap power tool. There are types available which will cope
with different numbers of cells and both Ni-Cad and NiMH. Mascot is one
make.
This might also help. http://www.rcepi.com/battery_charging_tips.htm
/quote

and that website was a great help.

However, I could not find anything made by Mascot that explicitly met
my requirements. Can anyone suggest a make and model? for AA chiefly;
cut out when charged preferred.

You would think that the like of Maplin or budgetbatteries.co.uk would
sell something that explicitly addressed this issue; but not that I can
detect.

Incidentally. I have a universal size charger (Delta make, probably
Lidl origin) that gives time indications; it also warns not to
overcharge, so I guess no cut out there. I have also a small Jessop's
AA/AAA charger; no mention of times on that; it does give output = (AA)
2 x (2.8V, 240--280mA) = 1.568VA; no mention of cutout.

One could be forgiven for assuming that sellers of rechargables have
little or no concern for the proper use of their products; that
figures, I suppose.

TIA,

Jon C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I've got a decent charger,alas this has no cut out when fully charged so I
use one of these timers that where on offer in Aldi some time ago. I set
the time for starting the charge and also ending the charge. :-)
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9827992.htm

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I had NiMH's in my BT 3500 synergy handsets and they usually ran pretty
warm when charging on the base units and the batts seemed cream
crackered after a year or so. I think the batteries are regarded as
semi-disposable. I used to turn the hand sets right off and turn them
on only when the base unit rang so as to stop them charging so much.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

The Vanson 'Speedy box',

http://www.battery.ukf.net/vansonbc1-hu.htm

is on the pricier side and has commensurate features - individual
monitoring of each station, pulse charging, discharge setting, etc.
etc. I have one and reccomend it.

I think Radio Control modellers rate it, which is a good sign also, as
battery life & efficiency is of prime importance to them.

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jul 2006 06:41:56 -0700, wrote:

However, I could not find anything made by Mascot that explicitly met
my requirements. Can anyone suggest a make and model? for AA chiefly;
cut out when charged preferred.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=BT03386&N=411

Charges at 800mA and goes to a C/10 charge when finished which gives
you a day or two to remove the batteries before they start to suffer
a little.

I've used quite a few of these and they work well. They have the
advantage of running off 12VDC as well so can be used in a car.

AA and AAA _only_.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john2 wrote:

I had NiMH's in my BT 3500 synergy handsets and they usually ran pretty
warm when charging on the base units and the batts seemed cream
crackered after a year or so. I think the batteries are regarded as
semi-disposable. I used to turn the hand sets right off and turn them
on only when the base unit rang so as to stop them charging so much.

Try reading the instructions. Mine say to not leave the handsets on the
cradle all the time and let the batteries discharge regularly. Probably
because the charging circuit is crap.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jul 2006 09:14:54 -0700, "jkn" wrote:

The Vanson 'Speedy box',

I'm beginning to dislike the terms 'Speedy', 'Fast' or 'Ultra' with
regard to all these chargers.

I translate then to read 'Cook', 'Roast' and 'Knacker'? ;-(

We have *many* battery powered devices around the house (inc cycling
and camping gear) so wanted a decent, bulk, reliable, safe, gentle,
flexible (D,C,AA, AAA,PP3) individually monitored charger and the only
one that seemed to fit the bill was the Ansmann Energy 16.

http://tinyurl.com/eel8g

I appears their 'Energy' range of chargers are more gentle than their
other models (I also have the PowerLine 5 and that's also double as a
toaster). ;-(

Drop in a Nicad or NiMH and leave it to do it's stuff.

I think it first tests the battery (polarity / short cct etc) then
works out roughly what state of charge it's in (indicated with the LED
near each bay going Red, Amber or Green).

Then it takes it into some sort of test / discharge phase (flashing
red LEDs), then charge (solid red) then charged (green).

The interesting thing is just from watching the order the LED's come
up green in points out the weaker cells, allowing you to make up more
balanced sets.

It has also allowed me to 'weed out' some of the faulty cells in my
(ever growing) collection ;-)

Expensive? You get's what you pays for and it could pay for itself in
extended battery cycle life in time ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On 2 Jul 2006 09:14:54 -0700, "jkn" wrote:

The Vanson 'Speedy box',

I'm beginning to dislike the terms 'Speedy', 'Fast' or 'Ultra' with
regard to all these chargers.

I translate then to read 'Cook', 'Roast' and 'Knacker'? ;-(

We have *many* battery powered devices around the house (inc cycling
and camping gear) so wanted a decent, bulk, reliable, safe, gentle,
flexible (D,C,AA, AAA,PP3) individually monitored charger and the only
one that seemed to fit the bill was the Ansmann Energy 16.

http://tinyurl.com/eel8g

Okay, thanks. I've ordered one of those (from budgetbatteries.co.uk,
found them pretty good for after sales backup when a charger for a
video camera didn't do what was claimed).

Incidentally, I've also ordered some of those thingys that allow AA to
be used as C and D.

I'll take your word about the gentility; my intuition makes me
suspicious of anything faster than slow charge. Also I'll have to do a
lot of recharging to make it pay its way, but ...

And many thanks to everyone else; actually, it turns out that I just
wasn't looking properly.

Best regards,

Jon C.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Jul 2006 07:44:38 -0700, wrote:

We have *many* battery powered devices around the house (inc cycling
and camping gear) so wanted a decent, bulk, reliable, safe, gentle,
flexible (D,C,AA, AAA,PP3) individually monitored charger and the only
one that seemed to fit the bill was the Ansmann Energy 16.

http://tinyurl.com/eel8g

Okay, thanks. I've ordered one of those (from budgetbatteries.co.uk,
found them pretty good for after sales backup when a charger for a
video camera didn't do what was claimed).

Good to hear ..

Incidentally, I've also ordered some of those thingys that allow AA to
be used as C and D.

On a similar vein I use a dummy AA to turn a 6 cell clip into a 5 cell
pack ;-)

I'll take your word about the gentility; my intuition makes me
suspicious of anything faster than slow charge.

I have found that it sometimes takes new cells a few cycles to 'settle
down' (different to gaining full capacity) so I generally keep an eye
(occasional finger) on any new sets. Dirty battery ends or charger
contacts can sometimes 'confuse' the charger, not detecting DeltaV etc
properly. I've never had the Energy 16 'pop' a cell (yet) though ..
;-)

Also I'll have to do a
lot of recharging to make it pay its way, but ...

Well, indeed, but outside the potential money savings is the comfort
that the cells will be charged probably as quick as they can be with
the minimum of risk and the convenience of being able to charge 12 AA
or AAA's at once. Also I believe very slow (therefore safe) charging
has a bearing on how the cell release their energy .. (so that may not
be good in all circumstances) ?

And many thanks to everyone else; actually, it turns out that I just
wasn't looking properly.

Yup, sometimes it's handy to know you are in the right place and
hadn't missed summat .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m.

p.s. Although I haven actually timed the Energy 16 in action I do
know that the older 500mA Nicad AA's don't take long to charge,
whereas my new batch of 2700's seem to be in there for ages! ;-)

p.p.s. Charging 12 x 2700mA AA NiMH's from flat simultaneously
certainly makes the charger run fairly warm!