Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2 john2 is offline

Default Need "half decent" battery charger for NiCds and NiMhs

wrote:
Some time ago, I asked about replacing NiCd rechargables with NiMhs in
a cordless phone. That seems to have worked fine.

Then as a follow-up I admitted bewilderment on the topic of care and
maintenance of rechargables.

Dave Plowman replied: quoteA half decent charger should cut out after
the battery is charged or go to a maintenance charge - but don't expect
this with a cheap power tool. There are types available which will cope
with different numbers of cells and both Ni-Cad and NiMH. Mascot is one
make.
This might also help.
http://www.rcepi.com/battery_charging_tips.htm
/quote

and that website was a great help.

However, I could not find anything made by Mascot that explicitly met
my requirements. Can anyone suggest a make and model? for AA chiefly;
cut out when charged preferred.

You would think that the like of Maplin or budgetbatteries.co.uk would
sell something that explicitly addressed this issue; but not that I can
detect.

Incidentally. I have a universal size charger (Delta make, probably
Lidl origin) that gives time indications; it also warns not to
overcharge, so I guess no cut out there. I have also a small Jessop's
AA/AAA charger; no mention of times on that; it does give output = (AA)
2 x (2.8V, 240--280mA) = 1.568VA; no mention of cutout.

One could be forgiven for assuming that sellers of rechargables have
little or no concern for the proper use of their products; that
figures, I suppose.

TIA,

Jon C.

I had NiMH's in my BT 3500 synergy handsets and they usually ran pretty
warm when charging on the base units and the batts seemed cream
crackered after a year or so. I think the batteries are regarded as
semi-disposable. I used to turn the hand sets right off and turn them
on only when the base unit rang so as to stop them charging so much.

john2