Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jg.campbell.ng@gmail.com is offline

Default Need "half decent" battery charger for NiCds and NiMhs

T i m wrote:
On 2 Jul 2006 09:14:54 -0700, "jkn" wrote:

The Vanson 'Speedy box',

I'm beginning to dislike the terms 'Speedy', 'Fast' or 'Ultra' with
regard to all these chargers.

I translate then to read 'Cook', 'Roast' and 'Knacker'? ;-(

We have *many* battery powered devices around the house (inc cycling
and camping gear) so wanted a decent, bulk, reliable, safe, gentle,
flexible (D,C,AA, AAA,PP3) individually monitored charger and the only
one that seemed to fit the bill was the Ansmann Energy 16.

http://tinyurl.com/eel8g

Okay, thanks. I've ordered one of those (from budgetbatteries.co.uk,
found them pretty good for after sales backup when a charger for a
video camera didn't do what was claimed).

Incidentally, I've also ordered some of those thingys that allow AA to
be used as C and D.

I'll take your word about the gentility; my intuition makes me
suspicious of anything faster than slow charge. Also I'll have to do a
lot of recharging to make it pay its way, but ...

And many thanks to everyone else; actually, it turns out that I just
wasn't looking properly.

Best regards,

Jon C.

I appears their 'Energy' range of chargers are more gentle than their
other models (I also have the PowerLine 5 and that's also double as a
toaster). ;-(

Drop in a Nicad or NiMH and leave it to do it's stuff.

I think it first tests the battery (polarity / short cct etc) then
works out roughly what state of charge it's in (indicated with the LED
near each bay going Red, Amber or Green).

Then it takes it into some sort of test / discharge phase (flashing
red LEDs), then charge (solid red) then charged (green).

The interesting thing is just from watching the order the LED's come
up green in points out the weaker cells, allowing you to make up more
balanced sets.

It has also allowed me to 'weed out' some of the faulty cells in my
(ever growing) collection ;-)

Expensive? You get's what you pays for and it could pay for itself in
extended battery cycle life in time ..?

All the best ..

T i m