Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How best to market a d-i-y-project and building plot?

I'd welcome some advice on how best to sell our Kingston-on-Thames
property.

It is next door to a smelly factory, so planning permission for most
things is assured. There's room in the garden for three "town" houses,
accessed by a private drive. The existing 6 bed building could be
extended and subdivided into two houses or maisonettes, or demolished
for flats.

As an aside, in KOT there are no economies of scale in property
development. You are expected to give *half* your new build away at a
price commensurate with an "affordable rent". Anyone hanging on to land
elsewhere in the hope it will appreciate might consider the
implications.

Anyway. not big enough for a "developer", this is a property to
advertise where the d-i-y crowd hang out.

Which is...where?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Ian Cornish wrote:

wrote:

I'd welcome some advice on how best to sell our Kingston-on-Thames
property.

It is next door to a smelly factory, so planning permission for most
things is assured. There's room in the garden for three "town" houses,
accessed by a private drive. The existing 6 bed building could be
extended and subdivided into two houses or maisonettes, or demolished
for flats.

As an aside, in KOT there are no economies of scale in property
development. You are expected to give *half* your new build away at a
price commensurate with an "affordable rent". Anyone hanging on to land
elsewhere in the hope it will appreciate might consider the
implications.

Anyway. not big enough for a "developer", this is a property to
advertise where the d-i-y crowd hang out.

Which is...where?

A local builder might be interested, or failing that, these things
usually end up at auctions.

We're not talking a derelict house. This one will end up at £900k with
Foxtons is all else fails.

The first DIY thing is to do is prepare a building plan and actually get
planning permission to take the uncertainty from the buyer. The plan
can be varied later with near 100% chance of success so long as it's the
same size. Specification of interior building details is not necessary,
only the appearance, amount of parking, interior layout plan counts.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john2 wrote:
wrote:
Ian Cornish wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks John. Somebody else has suggested that to me, and it makes a lot
of sense. I suppose it is not a DIY job but a local architect job.
Someone who knows the Planning Dept, knows the market, and can get the
most out of the land.

Presumably it can be done as a "what if"?

"Suppose there were two plots instead of one. That being the case,
could we build here, here and here?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks John. Somebody else has suggested that to me, and it makes a lot
of sense. I suppose it is not a DIY job but a local architect job.
Someone who knows the Planning Dept, knows the market, and can get the
most out of the land.

Presumably it can be done as a "what if"?

"Suppose there were two plots instead of one. That being the case,
could we build here, here and here?"

You could put in several different planning applications at the same
time for the same piece of land though that would be an expensive way to
go about it. Usually an over-ambitious plan first, then scale it down
and resubmit if refused.
You don't need to own the land you are planning on (ie you could be
aiming to buy it later).
Best have a word with the local planning officer if that is easy (start
with the town clerk for advice), to get his opinion on your garden viz a
viz the local development plan in the first instance. As you say, it
may be very easy in your area, but the neighbours might object when they
see the plans if its going to overlook or block their daylight.
I have seen self-drawn plans, but only for garages, conservatories and
the like. Dwelling plans have always been architect drawn, not sure if
that's mandatory.

john2