Posted to uk.d-i-y
KnobJockey

Default Cylinder Thermostat

I've just fitted a new Cylinder Thermostat same as this :

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...hermostat.html

Its been wired up same as previous stat : 1= Yellow 2= White 3= Blue &
Earth

I sparked up the system and left it running for half an hour (usually
long enough for reasonably hot tank of water) I then turned down the
temp. control to see at what point it shut off, It didn't !! I turned
it down to lowest setting 20 deg.C still no joy.

Is it a faulty stat ? or incorrectly wired ?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On 27 Jun 2006 05:42:52 -0700, KnobJockey wrote:

I've just fitted a new Cylinder Thermostat same as this :

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...hermostat.html

Its been wired up same as previous stat : 1= Yellow 2= White 3= Blue &
Earth

I sparked up the system and left it running for half an hour (usually
long enough for reasonably hot tank of water) I then turned down the
temp. control to see at what point it shut off, It didn't !! I turned
it down to lowest setting 20 deg.C still no joy.

Is it a faulty stat ? or incorrectly wired ?

Without knowing what wires go where at the other end of the circuit (i.e.
at the controller/wiring box end), it's impossible to comment with any
authority, although my immediate reaction would be to suspect that it was
incorrectly wired - for a start '3=blue and earth', which is nonsensical
taking a quick look at the installation instruction leaflet that is linked
from the page you listed. You did take a look at that link, didn't you?

If you've connected an earth wire into what could be potentially a live
circuit, never mind about how it was wired before, then you don't
understand what you're doing and should consult an electrician.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
[...]

Re-read the post. I maybe wrong but I took it that the OP meant to say 3
=blue plus there is also an earth connection.

I would guess that if all 3 terminals are being used on a cylinder stat then
it is probably a Y plan and the fault may lie in the midposition valve not
the stat.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

KnobJockey wrote:

I've just fitted a new Cylinder Thermostat same as this :

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...hermostat.html

Its been wired up same as previous stat : 1= Yellow 2= White 3= Blue &
Earth

I sparked up the system and left it running for half an hour (usually
long enough for reasonably hot tank of water) I then turned down the
temp. control to see at what point it shut off, It didn't !! I turned
it down to lowest setting 20 deg.C still no joy.

Is it a faulty stat ? or incorrectly wired ?

Cheers

Who knows? Without more information about what type of system configuration
you have (S-Plan, Y-Plan, C-Plan, etc.) and what is at the other end of the
yellow, white and blue wires, it's impossible to say.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:39:51 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

A missing comma adds greater validity to my understanding.

Have I said what I mean? Did I mean what I said?

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
KnobJockey wrote:
I've just fitted a new Cylinder Thermostat same as this :

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...hermostat.html

Its been wired up same as previous stat : 1= Yellow 2= White 3= Blue &
Earth

I sparked up the system and left it running for half an hour (usually
long enough for reasonably hot tank of water) I then turned down the
temp. control to see at what point it shut off, It didn't !! I turned
it down to lowest setting 20 deg.C still no joy.

Is it a faulty stat ? or incorrectly wired ?

Why did you replace the original? If it was because of the same 'fault',
it isn't the thermostat. More likely a valve.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
KnobJockey

To clarify matters, the earth is fitted correctly to its own connection
(not attached to any other). I have replaced a sunvic stat (which works
ok) with the danfoss because the danfoss has more of a lower temp.
range.

Also with the new danfoss there is no audible click when the control
knob is turned (either when hot or cold)