Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

Default Compost fly control (electrical)

Hi There,

A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite
having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume
compost chemistry is in action.

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense swarm of
annoying small flies.

I imagine this is a great application for some home grown technology. The
perfect product for this situation would be some kind of (low supply
voltage) electrical insect zapper, that perhaps uses a UV LED as "bait". Do
such things exist?

I see Maplin sell these http://tinyurl.com/mdf2t but they do not look like
they would last long inside a compost bin.

Any better suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Vortex wrote:
Hi There,

A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite
having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume
compost chemistry is in action.

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense swarm of
annoying small flies.

You have it badly set up. It should be a not unpleasant smell. You put
a layer of waste covered with a layer of cellulose and soil or similar.
The process thus goes on under cover.

How many others are having the same problem? Take a look at what the
more successful users are doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams

In article ,
Vortex wrote:

A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where
despite having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at
all. I assume compost chemistry is in action.

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense
swarm of annoying small flies.

Cap it off every now and again with a few shovels of
earth. Also look out for any entrance holes dug
around the bottom rim... it could mean that you have
attracted rats.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
Hi There,

A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite
having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume
compost chemistry is in action.

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense swarm of
annoying small flies.

I imagine this is a great application for some home grown technology. The
perfect product for this situation would be some kind of (low supply
voltage) electrical insect zapper, that perhaps uses a UV LED as "bait". Do
such things exist?

I see Maplin sell these http://tinyurl.com/mdf2t but they do not look like
they would last long inside a compost bin.

Any better suggestions?

leave the top off for a while to allow "fly eating insects" access

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:25:17 +0100 someone who may be "Vortex"
wrote this:-

A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite
having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume
compost chemistry is in action.

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense swarm of
annoying small flies.

Probably too much green material and not enough brown.

Have you put raw meat into the bin?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/compostinghints.htm doesn't cover
flies, but is a useful summary of what should be going on inside the
heap.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:39:02 +0100, Tony Williams wrote:

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense
swarm of annoying small flies.

But only if you happen to be disturbing the bin surely? Ours is home to
small flies as well but they aren't a problem, just a minor irritation
when the bin is opened. Open the lid away from you then they tend not to
fly at you.

Also look out for any entrance holes dug around the bottom rim... it
could mean that you have attracted rats.

If you've got rats in a compost bin it will be obvious, as they will turn
and mix the contents very effectively. The fresh stuff won't stay where
you left it from one day to the next.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:39:02 +0100, Tony Williams wrote:

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a
dense swarm of annoying small flies.

Ummm..... no I didn't write that.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:35:15 +0100 someone who may be Tony Williams
wrote this:-

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:39:02 +0100, Tony Williams wrote:

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a
dense swarm of annoying small flies.

Ummm..... no I didn't write that.

That is entirely obvious, because of the extra level of quoting.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:35:15 +0100, Tony Williams wrote:

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a
dense swarm of annoying small flies.

Ummm..... no I didn't write that.

But you quoted it. Count the 's... in my message an you will see it is a
quoted quote rather than a quote.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:25:17 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

|Hi There,
|
|A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
|garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite
|having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume
|compost chemistry is in action.

Compost always compacts as it rots down, Keep adding stuff you will win
in the end ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Vortex wrote:
A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite
having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume
compost chemistry is in action.

What are you going to use this compost for, then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

What are you going to use this compost for, then?

Spreading on Cadbury's chocolate.

--
Skipweasel

Maytag digital oven control problem ms Home Repair 4 December 22nd 05 01:26 AM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Remote Control Rechargable Flourcent Light Rizgar Electronics Repair 2 November 24th 04 08:16 PM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 08:05 AM