Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Compost fly control (electrical)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:25:17 +0100 someone who may be "Vortex"
wrote this:-

A few months ago we purchased a councol subsidised composter for
garden/kitchen waste. It has now reached a "steady state" where despite
having stuff put in every day the level doesn't go up at all. I assume
compost chemistry is in action.

One unpleasant side affect is that it has become home to a dense swarm of
annoying small flies.

Probably too much green material and not enough brown.

Have you put raw meat into the bin?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/compostinghints.htm doesn't cover
flies, but is a useful summary of what should be going on inside the
heap.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh