Posted to uk.d-i-y
ian

Default Bosch Maxx Washing Machine Drum doesn't turn

I have a Bosch Maxx WFL2450 washing machine about four and a half years
old.

About a fortnight ago I was told our washing maching hadn't spun. It
wasn't spinning, but the drum was turning in the wash cycle.

I'd checked the pump chamber which was empty.

I checked the pressure switch which seemed to be ok, on the assumption
it was a single level switch, it has four connectors but one connector
wasn't switching when I tried continuity tests.

I tried to check the motor brushes by laying the machine on its front,
all I could see was part of the communator from the base of the
machine. The sides and back are one folded sheet and don't look
designed to be removed for service access.

Machine still wasn't spinning when I heard a pump rattle and removed a
small coin an ear ring which must have been dislodged from somewhere
when I was moving the machine.

It worked well until today. The motor doesn't turn in the wash or spin
cycles. The drum turns as normal and the belt appears ok.

Nothing apparently in the pump sump, the level switch seems ok and now
I want to check the brushes. I wonder if the original problem was the
brushes.

Can anyone suggest how to check the brushes? From the base I think I'd
have to remove the motor which looks very awkward. I wonder if the
front panel comes off to give front access, but before I try I'd like
to know it does come off easily, what to do with the door and how to
deal with the door seal etc.

Any other suggestion about this problem would be welcome.

Thanks

Ian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Morley

"ian" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I had exactly the same fault. Ours went at around 6 years. Was the brushes.

I pulled the washer out and tilted it backwards against a chair at about 45
degrees. Then had good access from below. Not sure what your model is like
exactly, but romved plug onto motor, then undid a long hex bolt (into
plastic). You could then slide of the two ther rubber mountings. I am fairly
sure I had to fold back the brush housings to replace the brushes. Reckon if
carefull you could do this 3 times or so, if not you may be able to replace
the housings anyway.

http://www.bshappliancecare.com/Bosch/boschspares.html

Have a look here you can get exploded diagrams for free There are 24
variations of your model!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"ian" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Tim,

Brushes replaced and machine is doing test wash. To replace brushes I
put machine on front, removed belt, cut cable tie on plastic shield
over connectors, pulled out motor plug and earth connection. I still
couldn't access both sets of brushes. With 10mm ratchet undid the two
motor bolts, then realised bolts were too long to allow ratchet to be
taken off bolts, so used normal spanner. With a gentle mallet tap the
motor came off.

As I couldn't see how to take brushes out I made mistake of undoing
four motor bolts and dismantling motor. I re-assembled motor and then
fitted new brushes and refitted motor. Could replace one brush with
motor on machine but the second one would be done by feel only, and
would be beyond me.

Like most jobs once you've done it its easy to know what to do.

Quite. Tried for ages to change brushes in situ on my Bosch, then decided
the motor would come out with the front off. It wouldn't. Once back off and
motor out, changing brushes on bench easy!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

kms kuba sewing machinery UK diy 0 April 5th 06 09:19 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 April 3rd 06 12:45 PM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Washing machine drum damage: repairable? William Warburton UK diy 4 December 7th 04 11:23 PM
GE Washing Machine Drum Removal Question Eugene Home Repair 7 November 1st 04 11:47 AM