Posted to uk.d-i-y
news

Default Problem with Response wireless alarm

I have an "SA5 Response" wireless alarm system manufactured by Novar
Electrical Devices. Most of the time it works fine, but occasionally the
external siren goes off all by itself. That is, there is no actual alarm
condition, and the siren in the in-house control panel does not go off.

The external siren is mounted well away from any metalwork, and I have
set it to ignore radio jamming. The siren tamper switch appears to be
operating properly.

I have called the Novar helpline about this, but they seem utterly
clueless.

Needless to say, this behaviour doesn't go down too well with the
neighbours. Has anyone here experienced this problem and found a
solution?

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

news has brought this to us :
I have an "SA5 Response" wireless alarm system manufactured by Novar
Electrical Devices. Most of the time it works fine, but occasionally the
external siren goes off all by itself. That is, there is no actual alarm
condition, and the siren in the in-house control panel does not go off.

The external siren is mounted well away from any metalwork, and I have set it
to ignore radio jamming. The siren tamper switch appears to be operating
properly.

I have called the Novar helpline about this, but they seem utterly clueless.

Needless to say, this behaviour doesn't go down too well with the neighbours.
Has anyone here experienced this problem and found a solution?

Is there a radio amateur nearby perhaps?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugh Jampton

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:42:36 GMT, news wrote:

I have an "SA5 Response" wireless alarm system manufactured by Novar
Electrical Devices. Most of the time it works fine, but occasionally the
external siren goes off all by itself. That is, there is no actual alarm
condition, and the siren in the in-house control panel does not go off.

The external siren is mounted well away from any metalwork, and I have
set it to ignore radio jamming. The siren tamper switch appears to be
operating properly.

I have called the Novar helpline about this, but they seem utterly
clueless.

Needless to say, this behaviour doesn't go down too well with the
neighbours. Has anyone here experienced this problem and found a
solution?

I had *exactly* the same problem. I bought a "SA3 Response" wireless alarm
system in April 2005. As with you it worked fine most of the time but
occasionally the external siren (only) went off all by itself when not
activated :-(

Rang their helpline several times - a few suggestions were made but none
worked. Got fed up in the end and insisted on more help - they then told me
to take it back to where I bought it (B&Q) and ask for a replacement. I did
that and got it replaced. I've reinstalled the new alarm (March 2006) and
so far it's working perfectly :-)

I think there was a problem with these alarms manufactured at a certain
time - a neighbour also had the same problem and had his replaced. Shame
really - nice product - I'm very happy with my SA3 now that it's working
properly.

HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Posted to uk.d-i-y
news

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
news has brought this to us :
I have an "SA5 Response" wireless alarm system manufactured by Novar
Electrical Devices. Most of the time it works fine, but occasionally
the external siren goes off all by itself. That is, there is no
actual alarm condition, and the siren in the in-house control panel
does not go off.

The external siren is mounted well away from any metalwork, and I
have set it to ignore radio jamming. The siren tamper switch appears
be operating properly.

I have called the Novar helpline about this, but they seem utterly clueless.

Needless to say, this behaviour doesn't go down too well with the
neighbours. Has anyone here experienced this problem and found a
solution?

Is there a radio amateur nearby perhaps?

Erm, yes, very close. In this house, actually :-))

So I already knew what to look for. But I am not active, and there
aren't any other amateurs living anywhere near here.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
news

In message , Hugh Jampton
writes
[...]

Hugh, that is very interesting. In fact, the problem first occurred soon
after I bought the alarm. I left the external siren in place for about 9
months, then took it down because it was waking the neighbours. It was
only a month or so ago that I put it up again, hoping that the problem
had "gone away".

Trouble is, it is now over 3 years since I bought the alarm, so I
suspect B&Q would not be very sympathetic if I took it back now.

--
Ian

Yale HSA500 wireless alarm system - need installation guide Mark Van Bellen UK diy 6 January 30th 07 08:28 PM
Weird feedback problem on alarm clock Ali Electronics Repair 3 February 27th 06 03:16 AM
Accenta G3 Alarm Problem annieb UK diy 1 December 9th 05 10:09 AM
Simple cheap wireless personal alarm (not intruder alarm) required Roy Gilbert UK diy 7 May 6th 04 07:46 AM
DSL service & alarm system trebor4258 Home Repair 6 November 19th 03 11:16 PM